Changing Paint Color - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Build-up's, Projects & Registry Profiles > Smaller Projects

Join the Defender Source Community Today

Old October 29th, 2013, 01:00 PM
1997 Defender 90 Soft Top
Changing Paint Color

I have a 1997 Defender 90 Soft Top, British Racing Green Metallic, in need of new paint. What is the general consensus regarding changing the paint color? Will it lower the value? It has about 125,000 miles.

How much of the interior should be repainted? For example, inside the rear area? Under the rubber mats?

I would go with another dark color. If I change, should I use a color that was available on the same model and the same year? Is there Land Rover paint (not that the original paint was great quality) or will the painter just color match?

The truck is not in perfect condition but they're increasingly rare in the US. Any advice would be appreciated.

Old October 29th, 2013, 01:14 PM
Andrew Najarian
'93 NAS D110 #43
Leave it BRG, it's a rare color and only available in '97. It will definitely decrease it's value to repaint it, but by the same token, with that many miles, it isn't ever going to be a collector car anyway. If you change, the only way to do it right is to completely disassemble everything and paint all the body panels individually and then reassemble.

"I have taken more good from alcohol than alcohol has taken from me." - Winston Churchill
Old October 29th, 2013, 02:48 PM
72 + D1 drivetrain
I know you are in the land of sun, but if there are any rust issues, would be a shame not to properly fix them before you respray.

And yes, I'm with the stick to same color team.
Old October 29th, 2013, 05:05 PM
1994 NAS Defender 90
To do it right requires the whole truck be taken apart painted then put back together.

If you aren't going to do it right then don't do it at all.

It has been discussed before and a professional color change will run in the $10,000 range
don't do it
no thanks whatever I tell you, you will low ball me
I would rather keep the parts in storage
good luck with your search
Old October 29th, 2013, 05:08 PM
Jeff Briggs
Antarctic Blue Super Sports Wagon
Site Team
Might be a good 'dip your car' candidate.

Originally Posted by sonoronos View Post
sheisters gonna sheist

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Build-up's, Projects & Registry Profiles > Smaller Projects