Cargo Floor - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Build-up's, Projects & Registry Profiles > Smaller Projects

Old May 20th, 2010, 04:54 PM
Ren Ching
Skinny Pete
'84 90 "Yamelo"/'88 RRC "Chewbacca"

Registry
Cargo Floor

Decided to steal some pages from the EE book of driveway fabrication and build a removeable cargo floor to go in the back of the D90. The Edgestar fridge freezer that i bought does not fit well on the wheel arches or up against the rear of the front seats. The best place for it however does not offer any opportunities to secure it in place without drilling a bunch of holes in the truck.

The pictures here don't show the process very well, since when things start to go wrong I usually stop taking pictures. But you can at least get a good idea of how I did it and how it looks and fits in the truck.

I started with a full sheet of 3/4" birch plywood. I cut it down to fit snugly in between the wheel arches, and to extend from the very front of the tub to just in front of the seal retainer for the lower door. This retainer has a lip that also holds the rear load mat in place. The idea was to capture the plywood inside a channel that would then be held down by the seal retainer. See photos.

I used a router with a 1/4" roundover bit to radius all the edges of the plywood. Then I covered the whole thing with indoor/outdoor carpet from home depot. They sell small pieces for 10 or 20 bucks. The carpet is glued down and wrapped around the back where it is also glued and then stapled.

I made the corners very carefully with the carpet so as to leave only a very small portion of the plywood exposed, if any.

With the carpet on, it is a snug fit between the wheel arches. The carpet is about 1/8" thick so take that into account when measuring.

To fasten the rear edge of the floor I used an aluminum "H" channel from McMaster Carr, it was about 12 bucks for a 6 foot length. Again I used the router with a 3/8" flush-trim bit to remove one leg of the channel and turn it into more of a "y" so that it would fit nicely under the seal retainer. Again, see photos.

I noticed that alot of the original screws holding the seal retainer in were stripped out, so I drilled the holes larger and put in some rivet nuts so as to improve the holding power. I used all stainless steel hardware, hopefully this will not cause any terrible reaction with the alloy.

Once everything was set I placed the fridge where I wanted it and marked holes for some d-rings acquired from the hardware store. They are pretty nice d-rings as they are welded and are rated for 1200 pounds. (working load 300. ) The d-rings are fastened into ordinary T-nuts that hare driven into the back of the plywood. I covered the T-nuts with duct tape before putting the floor in so as to keep moisture off them and keep the steel from reacting to the alloy beneath it.

That's all for now, it seems to work ok though I need to figure out a better system of tie downs as it does allow more side to side movement of the fridge then I would like. Though it is not much. I'm pretty happy with it and it does make the truck much quieter too. Biggest drawback so far is that the inside of my truck stinks from new carpet smell. That just can't possibly be good for you.

Total cost of this not including the big mama-jama rivnut tool was about $100.

I'm also thinking about moving the hinges from the side of the Edgestar to one of the ends as I think it will make access a bit more logical for placement in a vehicle.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P5190581_2.jpg
Views:	185
Size:	122.6 KB
ID:	27791   Click image for larger version

Name:	P5190584_2.jpg
Views:	159
Size:	90.4 KB
ID:	27792  

Name:	P5190585_2.jpg
Views:	151
Size:	70.3 KB
ID:	27793   Click image for larger version

Name:	P5190578_2.jpg
Views:	166
Size:	113.0 KB
ID:	27794  

Name:	P5190579_2.jpg
Views:	159
Size:	81.9 KB
ID:	27795   Click image for larger version

Name:	P5190582_2.jpg
Views:	162
Size:	145.8 KB
ID:	27796  

Name:	P5190583_2.jpg
Views:	157
Size:	148.0 KB
ID:	27797   Click image for larger version

Name:	P5190586_2.jpg
Views:	163
Size:	125.3 KB
ID:	27798  

Name:	P5200599_2.jpg
Views:	171
Size:	120.6 KB
ID:	27799   Click image for larger version

Name:	P5200602_2.jpg
Views:	209
Size:	111.8 KB
ID:	27800  

Name:	P5200591_2.jpg
Views:	191
Size:	91.0 KB
ID:	27801   Click image for larger version

Name:	P5200600_2.jpg
Views:	157
Size:	39.7 KB
ID:	27802  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 20th, 2010, 05:01 PM
cgalpin
Charles Galpin
'94 D90 ST, '63 SeriesIIA
Site Team

Registry
Cool. How much does it weight?
Old May 20th, 2010, 05:02 PM
Ren Ching
Skinny Pete

Registry
The fridge is about 50 lbs. The plywood is quite light and is very easy to remove and carry it off to the shed or garage. I thought about using MDF but that stuff is really heavy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgalpin View Post
Cool. How much does it weight?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 20th, 2010, 09:48 PM
tommyd
Tom
LR3

nice work Ren, looks great. I've been thinking of doing something similar, but with a slide to anchor the fridge. I'd like to anchor the front end of the board to the truck somehow too.

what's the 'EE book of driveway fabrication'?
Old May 20th, 2010, 10:05 PM
Ren Ching
Skinny Pete

Registry
Thanks. On my setup the front edge is locked in place by the bulkhead. On a NAs truck or other vehicle with no bulkhead you will need to devise something else.You might be able to use the feet of the center row seats as a starting point for whatever approach you choose.

http://www.expeditionexchange.com/slidelock/

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommyd View Post
nice work Ren, looks great. I've been thinking of doing something similar, but with a slide to anchor the fridge. I'd like to anchor the front end of the board to the truck somehow too.

what's the 'EE book of driveway fabrication'?
Old May 20th, 2010, 10:22 PM
tommyd
Tom
LR3

Thanks for the link. I think I'll have to anchor mine to my cargo barrier. Do you have the dimensions for the board?
Old May 21st, 2010, 06:56 AM
Ren Ching
Skinny Pete

Registry
36 and change by 40 something. gotta measure for your truck they are all different.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommyd View Post
Thanks for the link. I think I'll have to anchor mine to my cargo barrier. Do you have the dimensions for the board?
Old June 9th, 2010, 11:06 PM
seaswood
Craig
Diesel

Registry
Cargo floor

Ren
The military trucks have attachment points along the lower inside of wheel wells 3 each side I believe & I found holes in the floor with nuts attached underneath similar to the plates that attach the rear of the bed to crossmember.
Two holes were plugged two were missing & I was able to get replacements that give a 4 bolt pattern in the floor along with the side attachment points. That still should be available. The hole in the bed just need a bolt & washer to secure, sz 8 I think Craig

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Build-up's, Projects & Registry Profiles > Smaller Projects