Backup Cam for Defender ST - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Build-up's, Projects & Registry Profiles > Smaller Projects

Old March 26th, 2016, 05:56 PM
Dogpilot
James Wallace
Defender 90 1997 NAS ST

Registry
Backup Cam for Defender ST

Winter kept me inside way to much his year. One of my other useless gerbil projects was a backup camera. Originally I was going to put in a set of cameras to look forward to the track for the front wheels. Alas, no good spot to mount the tiny cameras that will not ultimately result in their destruction. Well I had all the parts to put in a backup camera. Again, the Soft Top Defender has a few limitations in where to mount the silly thing. Most of the simple backup cams use the license plate frame or you cut a hole. Not what I was looking for.

In an uncharacteristic flash of intelligence, I realized the tiny camera I had gotten would fit in the license plate light holder cover. This was an easy instal. It did two things there, A. drilled a hole on another cover to let the lens peek through. I bought the cover on ebay for as little as I could find one, $4.59 + 2.50 shipping. I used some clear liquid nails to secure the camera in place, after first putting some tape over the lens. This way I could just peel off the tape and not get any of that goo on the lens. I also realized the hot incandescent bulb would heat up the camera, perhaps fatally and the glare would obscure things at night. I had some flat LED panels and I fit one taped onto the lens of the cover in lieu of the bulb.

Now you can go two ways, first you can run wire from the rear to the front, or use short haul video transmitter/ receiver units, from ebay, again somewhere in the realm of $12 if your willing to wait a decade or two for it to arrive from the Sino manufacturing complex.. Pull your power from the backup light itself. Mine had some screw together in-line connectors and it was easy to add my wires there for power.

So how to display?? Well I got a Garmin Nuvi 5000 series off, you guessed it, ebay, for under $50. I got that model for two reason, takes topo maps and has a video input, for regular old video, not some proprietary Garmin video. It also goes to backup cam mode when it senses video. I mounted it on a a quick release ball gizmo off Amazon for $5. I mounted the gizmo actually to a chunk of ABS that was bigger than its base plate, so I could use the really high strength foam tape for trim on cars. Grips like an IRS auditor and if you end up not wanting the device anymore comes off without any holes. When you get the Garmin, ensure you get the mount with all the inputs, not just the power. Or you cannot add the video.

It works! I have no idea how I lived without it before, my life is now forever altered. So on to getting that giant electro magnet working so I can use it to parasite off trucks on the long rides on interstates. Should save some gas. Alternatively, I can get a giant hook the Freak Brothers used.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old March 26th, 2016, 06:02 PM
Nomar
Jeff B
RR HNTR,RR LWB Tdi

Registry
1. Good tech
2.Awesome write-up and pictures
3. Comedy at the end

Real Rovers have round headlights!
Rent my
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
!
Just a few miles from 4x4 access!
Old March 26th, 2016, 06:23 PM
LostChord
Brian
86 D110 SW

Registry
awesome

that is how you do a mod and write it up
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old March 26th, 2016, 06:40 PM
D90Overkill
David Frank
1995 ST #2615

Registry
Well done. Love the stealth placement of the cam.
Old March 26th, 2016, 07:35 PM
Paul K
Paul Kennington
'85 Ninety V8 SW

Registry
Good work. Been considering one myself- trying to decide whether to get one with the screen in the rear view mirror, on the GPS or one of those fandango stereos with a big TV screen thingy that comes out of it. I also wondered about mounting the camera inside the rear window where the wiper passes so it doesn't get dirty.

Edit: James- I sent you a PM.
Old March 27th, 2016, 12:13 AM
D90Overkill
David Frank
1995 ST #2615

Registry
I have the screen in the rear view mirror on the p38. It works well, as it is intuitive to look there when reversing.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Build-up's, Projects & Registry Profiles > Smaller Projects

Tags
ac, defender