Back Rack Prototype Fabrication - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Build-up's, Projects & Registry Profiles > Smaller Projects

Join the Defender Source Community Today

Old June 15th, 2009, 09:01 AM
Wolf Fabrication
Sterling Archer
'93 NAS110 #463
D-90 Source Vendor
Back Rack Prototype Fabrication

In an effort to continuously improve on existing Rover stuff or design new accessories, I am developing what I call the xxxx Rack. It's a rack that sits on top of the tub rails between the cage and allows for the mounting of a spare tire, jerry cans, a Hi-Lift, or other accessories. It's modular, so you can add in several more jerry cans, or use it to carry a gear basket or other accessories.

The design allows for the centering, or offsetting of the spare tire, depending on gear needs. The jerry can holders can be added as needed. Without speakers boxes, you can carry 3 jerry cans with 33" spare. Jerry can holders are held in with quick release pins, and the strap that holds the can in the holder utilizes those same pins (not pictured). I also designed it to fit up to a 35" spare.

How does the rack mount? Right now it uses the two small captured nut mounts on either side that the top uses - this allows the rack to be used inside a hard top if needed. Obviuosly these are not strong enough, so the user would need to drill mounting holes and bolt it in as neccessary.

I have not worked pricing yet, but the rack will be in the $200 range, with each jerry can holder being about $40. Once pricing is set, I'll post it officially in the Vendors Section. I don't see a huge market for them, but several customers asked about this type of option.

More pics to follow...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	photo.jpg
Views:	144
Size:	119.1 KB
ID:	20027   Click image for larger version

Name:	photo2.jpg
Views:	152
Size:	151.4 KB
ID:	20028  

Name:	photo3.jpg
Views:	184
Size:	149.6 KB
ID:	20029   Click image for larger version

Name:	photo4.jpg
Views:	171
Size:	155.0 KB
ID:	20030  

Name:	photo5.jpg
Views:	197
Size:	141.2 KB
ID:	20031  

"The most unreliable car in the world is the most reliable car in the world." -Jeremy Clarkson refering to the Range Rover

Wolf Fabrication
Semper Fi!
Old June 22nd, 2009, 05:43 PM
96 D1 5spd
That is brilliant, nice job!

If I convert my 110 to a double cab I will be giving you a call.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Build-up's, Projects & Registry Profiles > Smaller Projects

ac, rack