Axle Cleaning - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Build-up's, Projects & Registry Profiles > Smaller Projects

Old September 27th, 2014, 10:34 AM
RhinoRover
Andy
1986 D110

Axle Cleaning

Hi All,

I am working on rebuilding the axle on my 110. I've removed the axle shafts and there seems to be some signs of water as well as the expected grease in the axle housing. Anyone have a great way to clean all the gunk out of the axle before I reinstall the axle shafts? Do I dare use a degreaser and drain it all from the front differential?

Thanks,

Andy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old September 27th, 2014, 11:19 AM
chris snell
Chris Snell
87 Ex-MOD 110

Pull the axle. It's not that hard. I would pull it and rinse with water and degreaser and let it dry. If you really want to do it nicely, have the tube mediablasted and prime+repaint with Eastwood's primer and their Chassis Black Extreme.

You could also pull the diff and get rags to most of the interior through that hole.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
/
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
/
/
/
Old September 27th, 2014, 11:56 AM
Roadsiderob
Robert Dassler
1994 D90
D-90 Source Vendor

I use a toilet brush with a piece of conduit screwed to the handle for an extension to scrub debris out of axle tubes. I usually use brake clean as a degreaser. I have had them blasted and powdercoated. If you do that, clean them very carefully as there are lots of places inside for the blast media to get stuck only to come out later and contaminate the lubricant. Specifically, where the capping is welded to the case and where the flanges are welded to the tubes.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old September 27th, 2014, 12:20 PM
RhinoRover
Andy
1986 D110

Thanks, Chris and Rob! I'm going to look things over and see if I need to pull the axle for any other reason, otherwise I don't think I want to get that involved yet. I like both ideas. I am a little concerned that I didn't have enough fluid in the axle tube for any to flow out when I removed the swivel housing. Is this normal or should the axle tube be filled with gear oil? As you can tell, I've never really stripped an axle but I don't ever remember filling a diff. with enough fluid to fill an axle tube the size of the one on the 110.
Old September 27th, 2014, 02:47 PM
Arlo
Kurt Ohlendorf
1997/130CC

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by medcloud View Post
Thanks, Chris and Rob! I'm going to look things over and see if I need to pull the axle for any other reason, otherwise I don't think I want to get that involved yet. I like both ideas. I am a little concerned that I didn't have enough fluid in the axle tube for any to flow out when I removed the swivel housing. Is this normal or should the axle tube be filled with gear oil? As you can tell, I've never really stripped an axle but I don't ever remember filling a diff. with enough fluid to fill an axle tube the size of the one on the 110.
So we are talking about the front axle?

Filling it:

Screw the down under one in.
Fill oil into the other opening until it will leak out.
Screw at least the plug in.

The oil inside the diff is closed inside the axle tube by sealings, if these are ok. The swivel housing is a sealed too, to keep its grease inside.

If there is a water/oil solution inside the diff, have a look to the small hose lokated on top of the axle!
Is it broken?
Does it end just underneath the hood?
Is it blocked?

While entering water with the axle, the temperature will get down suddenly. This causes negative pressure inside the axle tube. This sucks everything inside. Be sure it will be only air!
Old September 28th, 2014, 12:44 PM
RhinoRover
Andy
1986 D110

Thanks Kurt! I didn't realize that the Diffs were sealed from the axle tubes, but it became very clear after your explanation and by looking at the location (latitude) of the fill hole. I'd love to take mine apart just to understand the gears and assembly better, but if it's not broken, then I'm not messin' with it. Do you know of a good test/observation to determine if all is OK with the internals of the front differential? I'll drain it today and see if any H2O or particulates comes out of it. I am looking at the front driveshaft and it's kind of sloppy. I mean that there is play when rotated by hand (which also moves the plates on either end) and movement up and down. Also a little grease/oil where it meets the diff and on the transfer case. The rear driveshaft is tight with very little to no play and clean. Also, when shifting gears there is a distinct klunk when releasing the clutch pedal to engage the clutch and tranny. I suspect this has a lot to due with the sloppy front driveshaft.

Hope your having a nice weekend,

Andy

------ Follow up post added September 28th, 2014 10:48 AM ------

Oh, forgot to mention that I looked in the breather tube. It's there, but only runs as high as the top of the chasiss and sits next to the inner fender well. I can see where it was a connection point, but the upper section is missing. I'll be replacing the entire tube and lengthening. I can see other tubes that end on the bulkhead just above the tranny and they have a curved-down end. I'll make sure they are connected too. Thanks again!

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Build-up's, Projects & Registry Profiles > Smaller Projects

Tags
axle