Aux Heat thoughts - Page 2 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Build-up's, Projects & Registry Profiles > Smaller Projects

Join the Defender Source Community Today

Old October 18th, 2016, 03:03 PM
GuamPilot
Mike & Carrie Wendt
1986 90 2.5NA

Registry
YES! Just bought 2.

The 2000S D is for diesel.

Mike & Carrie
Advertisement

Old October 18th, 2016, 03:21 PM
wanabewheelin
Michael Sword
1989 110 200TDI, RHD

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by GuamPilot View Post
YES! Just bought 2.

The 2000S D is for diesel.

Mike & Carrie

Nice, sent them a message asking if there was any wiring included other than what is in the picture. Nothing back yet.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old October 18th, 2016, 03:29 PM
JohnsD90
John
74 SIII 88", 88 110, 91 110

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by wanabewheelin View Post
They are for diesel, the company selling them is Schneider Trucks Dot Com, pull them out of semi's and refurbish. They are designed for over night sleeping so they don't have to run the semi all night to stay warm. Runs off diesel and the battery. They do make gas versions I believe, but these are all going to be diesel I would guess. Cheers.
Rob W runs his V8 stage 1 and 2.25 109 with the Espar's and has a small fuel tank of diesel, can confirm these work great and blow hot air.
Old October 18th, 2016, 03:54 PM
javelinadave
Dave
1989 110SW 1 of 2,000,000

Quote:
Nice, sent them a message asking if there was any wiring included other than what is in the picture. Nothing back yet.
I called the phone number on their ad. They said it's just the heater, no wiring, lines, pump or controller.
Old October 18th, 2016, 04:19 PM
Overlander
mark kellgren
93' NAS 110- #234

Registry
Quote:
They are for diesel, the company selling them is Schneider Trucks Dot Com, pull them out of semi's and refurbish. They are designed for over night sleeping so they don't have to run the semi all night to stay warm. Runs off diesel and the battery. They do make gas versions I believe, but these are all going to be diesel I would guess. Cheers.
those are a great deal. I'll be getting one of those soon. thanks for sharing

ISIL and al qaeda can go F*ck themselves...
Old October 18th, 2016, 09:20 PM
ontheway
Dave
1986 RHD 110 SW OM617

Registry
Thanks for sharing... though I am apprehensive about buying because the available harnesses and controllers seem pretty expensive. I am not sure this is something I would want to wire - and after doing an engine swap I've learned I could easily spend a few hundred on ancillaries like the fuel pump, lines, exhaust, intake, etc... seems like it could easily get close to the cost of a new unit with all required ancillaries

Old October 18th, 2016, 09:42 PM
Elbee
Lance
1989 110 200tdi

Registry
this might be a good option as a whole kit. Air Heater Diesel Planar 4 KW 13650BTU12V 24V Similar to Eberspaecher Webasto | eBay
Old October 18th, 2016, 09:46 PM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
Be good to hear about the reliability of these off brand heaters.

Land Rover. Turning owners into mechanics since 1948.
Old October 18th, 2016, 11:10 PM
javelinadave
Dave
1989 110SW 1 of 2,000,000

Russian heater scares me a bit. The chance of carbon monoxide poisoning from a poorly made heater scares me.
Old October 18th, 2016, 11:26 PM
KGH
Real Name
#1-'13 110SW #2-300Tdi #3-'12 LR4

Registry
Google it. Boaters have been onto this for a while, as have van dudes. From cruisersforum:

'The price is right, the technology is Russian (they were first in space) . Guess they know a bit about cold and heating up.'

They also mention you could buy two and keep one as spare, still be under price of Eberspacher or Webasto.

As for the used units, I have read alot about the process. A lot of Euro cars come with aux heaters, and guys get them from boneyards, but sourcing correct controllers is tough.

I may order a Planar, be the canary in the Rover. If this is my last post ever, you may want to go with a different brand.
Old October 18th, 2016, 11:28 PM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
Buy a CO detector if you use the air heater....

Land Rover. Turning owners into mechanics since 1948.
Old October 21st, 2016, 12:46 PM
rwollschlager
Rob Wollschlager
72 SIII 88

Registry
TOO LONG WON'T READ: Planar>Ebspacher because same, same, but bigger heater for less monies.

Alright so cat's out of the bag that I have a few of these in my 109's.
-In my stage 1 I have the 44D-12 Planar Russian heater Planar 44D-12 Diesel Air Heater Truck/RV/Bus/Boat cabin | eBay

-In my Series IIa 109 I have an Eberspacher Airtronic D2: Eberspacher VW heater Airtronic D2 external mount VW T5 & T6 | 292199018351 | eBay

Both trucks are 5 door 109's, both trucks are super drafty, *so if your truck is actually nice your results may vary*.

I have installed them both the same way with the exception of the fuel tank location.
-Units mounted on the rear wheel arch of the tub (see picture)
-wiring and fuel line routed through existing (maybe bored out?) tail-light wiring hole in the rear tub, or a hole in the rear tool box.
-Wiring for controller gets snaked and fed through to wherever you want to neatly mount the controller (on the stage 1 its installed cleanly on the wiper motor cover, on the series 2a its dangling near the heater unit because i'm a lazy pos)
-power source: draw 12v from your choice location, the harness that comes with the unit has an inline fuse
-mount the fuel pump near the tank, the pump has to be mounted at a specified angle (in instructions) and the pump has to be mounted lower than the tank (its a weak pump)
-Fuel Tank:
---On the Series 2a I have a custom made stainless steel tank that sits under the passenger seat
---On the Stage 1 I used the tank that came in the Planar kit and have that mounted under the hood (*hasn't caught on fire yet, but really should be relocated*)
-Air intake for the heater: draws in air from the cab
-Exhaust for heater: I am not a fan of drilling holes through tubs, so what I did was cut a piece of steel the height of the rear window, approximately 4"-5" wide, drill a 1.5" hole, and weld in a right angle NPT bung. After grinding down the threads on the NPT bung the exhaust tubing from the unit fits right on. This way if I ever need to take the heater out I can do so without having an array of large holes throughout the tub.
-Heater output:
--Series 2a: right from the unit into the cab
--Stage 1: no-shame dryer hose running from the unit right to the front of the cab (*most unsightly but also *most effective)

Its a pretty straightforward install, but takes a lot of time to devise an improvise a clean mounting system for the unit and route and mount everything.

Planar Pros:
-the 44d-12 is cheaper than an eberspacher that's half the size/output. So for less money you get a SERIOUSLY MONSTER HEATER. It says it heats up to 31 degrees Centigrade, and I can confirm that is true
-having installed both I can confirm that the quality of components (fuel pump, duct work, wiring harness etc) is the same as the eberspacher
-having the dryer hose duct work is supremely ugly, but it gets the heat where we need it and it gets WARM. My dad and I are looking into a better duct work system.

Planar Cons:
-that f**king controller that comes with it is worthless. I have literally no clue how to operate it after reading the instructions several times. I've had other parties read the instructions and attempt function of the controller with zero luck. Every time we want the thing to go on or off is pure luck after mashing all the buttons. I am looking into fitting an eberspacher controller to a Planar heater because ease of use would increase 1000%

Eberspacher Pros:
-quality component with great reputation, and parts availability at most semi-truck repair shops (one here in Omaha has reconditioned units in stock on the shelf, and stocks, or can get most any other part for it)
-Its controller is actually logical. Theres one button to turn on/off the heat, another button if you just want the fan on, and a simple dial to adjust fan speed. Its great!

Eberspacher Cons:
-The particular unit I have for the Series 2a is a little small for the volume and draftiness of the station wagon. This could be resolved by reducing drafts and/or adding ductwork.
-Cost

Buying package or buying piece by piece?
-buy the package. All of these little components add up super fast! I cut a length of exhaust tubing too short, and to get a replacement from the semi-truck shop was expensive. By the time you locate the components, purchase them, and have them shipped you could have installed the whole shebang two times over.
-It's also VERY nice to have everything you need ready to go and in front of you. You have the parts that you know work with your unit and correspond with the instructions you have. There are a lot of models of these heaters and it would suck to waste your time realizing part Part A doesn't attach to Fitting 8, or that you forgot a crucial bit.
-if you don't want a new package, semi-truck shops, some marine/rv shops, and probably eBay might have complete kits that include a refurbished unit rather than just a used one. Thermo King Espar Heater from Thermo King Christensen

Attached I have a few pics of the eberspacher, it was a quick and dirty install before the winter of last year that I haven't bothered to clean up. You can see the mounting location of the unit, the exhaust routing, and the location of the fuel tank and pump.

Hope this helps!

-Rob
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6808.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	122.5 KB
ID:	160355   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6809.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	86.8 KB
ID:	160356  

Name:	IMG_6810.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	100.0 KB
ID:	160357  
Old October 24th, 2016, 03:05 PM
DC_Bear
Bear
1984 Nintey

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdavisinva View Post
The beauty of any of these fuel fired heaters are they can run when the engine is not running.

I am working on a center console that contains a small heater AC combo unit that will direct hot or cold air to the center and rear passengers.
This unit requires the engine to be running to supply hot coolant or AC refrigerant to operate.
Really interested to hear details of what you are working on / have come up with!

My heater is acting up and I don't even have AC. I'd love to fix both problems in a single unit. Personally, I think having the heat and AC in the center cubby area makes a lot of sense vs knee-knocker blowers under the dash.
Old October 24th, 2016, 04:15 PM
rdavisinva
Robert Davis
N/A

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC_Bear View Post
Really interested to hear details of what you are working on / have come up with!

My heater is acting up and I don't even have AC. I'd love to fix both problems in a single unit. Personally, I think having the heat and AC in the center cubby area makes a lot of sense vs knee-knocker blowers under the dash.
This is a small auxiliary unit for both hot coolant and refrigerant that will blow hot or cold air back to the back of the vehicle.
It is meant to supplement cooling and heating, but is NOT a substitute for the primary heat or cooling source.

Here is the thread:
Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions > Rear Passenger Center Cubby AC/Heat

Uncle "Richard" Douglas has a Land Rover with big wheels that never gets stuck... until he breaks something so it won't go. Uncle Douglas always breaks something. - Anna Crowther at the Conclave 2012 (AKA Carburetor Neck)
Old November 1st, 2016, 11:45 AM
KGH
Real Name

Registry
Rob W.:
Naka has good selection of Planar, including cell phone controller.

https://www.nakatanenga.de/search?sSearch=planar

Planar website also has some odds and ends.

I bought one via Amazon and am awaiting arrival. Getting chilly here in Germany.

As for fuel supply, probably going with this in line pick up:

Name:	IMG_0329.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	39.2 KB
ID:	161275
Old November 7th, 2016, 05:55 PM
rwollschlager
Rob Wollschlager
72 SIII 88

Registry
For Firemanshort:

Here is a picture of the Planar 44D-12 fitted to the rear wheel well of my stage 1. You can see the unit is supported by the 4 brackets that were supplied in the kit, and the removable window insert I fabricated for the exhaust. I have all the fuel lines and wiring for the controller exiting the tub through the hole for the tail light wiring, snaked them on the under side with the existing wiring, and routed them to where they needed to go.

-Rob
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Screen Shot 2016-11-07 at 4.54.58 PM.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	103.7 KB
ID:	161749  
Old November 8th, 2016, 09:39 AM
transientmechanic
Adam
1972 SIII

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwollschlager View Post
my stage 1
Let's ask the Doc about that!
Old November 11th, 2016, 09:36 AM
KGH
Real Name

Registry
Doing some more looking around and Planar is big player in the market here in Europe. Lots of mobile home and yacht installs.

Hopefully when we get back home the new heater will have shown up.
Old November 13th, 2016, 10:13 AM
ontheway
Dave
1986 RHD 110 SW OM617

Registry
The prices on Amazon went up... its now within a few hundred of webasto. If I pull the trigger on this I will probably just go with the webasto for the stateside part availability and proven reliability.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Build-up's, Projects & Registry Profiles > Smaller Projects

Tags
ht