Arm Rests for soft top windows - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Build-up's, Projects & Registry Profiles > Smaller Projects

Old February 22nd, 2009, 08:09 PM
LenB
Len Bruffett
NAS '97 ST /SW-POE Config

Registry
Arm Rests for soft top windows

I decided to finally design and build some simple armrests for the ST windows. I have spent one too many week long trips out four wheeling with left arm resting on the aluminum track of my window. I have a attached a few pics of the units. They are held in place by gravity and wooden register pins that fit in a factory window track drain hole. I thought that I would need to lock them in place with pressure from the locked sliding glass. But after a few days use I found they stay in place without any locking device. I made them with African teak and finished them with with a danish rubbing oil. I have a dense foam covered with a thick leather cover reminds me of the original "elephant hide" found in vintage series trucks. I am going to make a second set with just a 1/4" thick foam to see how that feels. So far they work great!.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	armrest1.jpg
Views:	173
Size:	62.1 KB
ID:	17947   Click image for larger version

Name:	armrest2.jpg
Views:	150
Size:	71.7 KB
ID:	17948  

Click image for larger version

Name:	completerest.jpg
Views:	180
Size:	66.0 KB
ID:	17949   Click image for larger version

Name:	completerest2.jpg
Views:	184
Size:	79.9 KB
ID:	17950  

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old February 22nd, 2009, 08:19 PM
mjekogian
Michael Jekogian
1997/ Defender ST

Registry
I had a similar Idea that I have not made yet. I was going to attach the pad to a tin sheet of metal that would fit between the lower and upper door. This should work with window open or closed. I will post pics if I ever get around to making them.

Your look great!
Old February 22nd, 2009, 09:37 PM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

Looks nice. I just take my door tops off.
Advertisement

Old February 22nd, 2009, 10:28 PM
LenB
Len Bruffett
NAS '97 ST /SW-POE Config

Registry
Thanks for the complements. I use to take my door tops off as well - but when traveling at elevations from 8 to 11 K above sea level after the sun goes down I would have to put the windows back on to help retain cabin heat and keep the 20 + mph winds in the high desert mountains from turning us into pop cycles!

Follow-up Post:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjekogian
I had a similar Idea that I have not made yet. I was going to attach the pad to a tin sheet of metal that would fit between the lower and upper door. This should work with window open or closed. I will post pics if I ever get around to making them.

Your look great!
I would like to see what you come up with as well - that is a good idea..... I am also going to design some detachable interior arms rests as well. They are will likely be 2" wide and are going to fit onto my door panels and be removable - (held in place with some rivet nuts (on the panels) and knurled knob screws). I was thinking of making a grab handle at the far end of the arm rest- So my wife will have something to hold onto when we are going over rocky terrain.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Build-up's, Projects & Registry Profiles > Smaller Projects

Tags
soft top, window, windows