ARB Question - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Build-up's, Projects & Registry Profiles > Smaller Projects

Join the Defender Source Community Today

Old June 6th, 2010, 04:40 PM
Rob Cleveland
ARB Question

Excuse my ignorance, but I am in the process of re-installing my rear third member after replacing the pinion bearings and carrier bearings in the ARB. I hooked up the air line to the third member before installing it back into the axle housing to check for leaks and have a slight flow of air coming from the seal housing assembly until the locker is rotated in which it stops. I didn't know if that was normal or if that seal housing o-ring is faulty and causing the leak.
This is a learning process for me so thanks in advance.

Old June 7th, 2010, 04:15 AM
Wolf Fabrication
Sterling Archer
'93 NAS110 #463
D-90 Source Vendor
ARB has constantly had issues with those o-rings, and depending on what year your locker is you could have one one of the older style seals that are prone to failure. Anytime I take an ARB out to do the bearings I put in a new o-ring.

I just installed two brand new ARBs and noticed the new style o-rings are much better - they have two sealing "lips" instead of being just an "o ring."

Good luck!
"The most unreliable car in the world is the most reliable car in the world." -Jeremy Clarkson refering to the Range Rover

Wolf Fabrication
Semper Fi!

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Build-up's, Projects & Registry Profiles > Smaller Projects