Add toggle switches next to steering wheel - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Build-up's, Projects & Registry Profiles > Smaller Projects

Old June 7th, 2016, 02:42 AM
lithium1330
Chris
'97 SW NAS 4.6

Registry
Add toggle switches next to steering wheel

Hi, I'm planning to add 2 add'l switches just left of the steering wheel (LHD).
I have a '97 NAS wagon with AC.
How do I get to the back of this part of the dashboard (with the 3 switches in picture below), so to run the wires and connect the switches?

I found this picture from ECR for reference:

Name:   switches.jpg
Views: 451
Size:  13.6 KB

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old June 7th, 2016, 09:25 AM
bjf
barry f
94 ST #395

That section of the lower dash unscrews. Most the screws are visible but I think with ac one is inside a vent or speaker.
Old June 7th, 2016, 09:48 AM
nathanwind
Jason Lavender
88-90-127-LR3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Psuedo self-serving post, but if you're swapping out switches in that area you may want to consider going with a Carling upgrade if you want some switches that actually "work" when you need them to, are reliable, easy to use, and all around just function great:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	img_2784.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	85.0 KB
ID:	151230   Click image for larger version

Name:	img_2792.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	67.2 KB
ID:	151231  

'94 90 NAS #324
'06 LR3 HSE

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

(10% discount for DSource members, use coupon code "D90")

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old June 7th, 2016, 09:52 AM
jruti
Jon Ruti
'94 D-90, #20

Registry
Correct, that particular part of the lower dash assembly unscrews independently. Believe the screw is located on the underside. Once unscrewed, gently push the panel up while simultaneously pulling out towards the door.

Exacto knife for the switch blanks. If you're using the genuine switches as pictures they do take a little massaging to get into the switch blanks.

Just a note as I did this: the genuine switches pictured are a tad awkward to switch on and off while driving. If I did it over, I'd consider using the other genuine switches with the more pronounced toggle for a little more leverage. Just a thought.
Old June 23rd, 2016, 03:42 PM
lithium1330
Chris
'97 SW NAS 4.6

Registry
Thanks for responses. Very helpful!
I was able to wire up additional factory switches for aux fuel pump (under side), and then 3 switches in row (front driving lights, rear work light and dash brightness).

There were 6 screws needing removal:
- 1 left, long screw holding down the heater control to left side of the instru cluster,
- 1 screw holding the plastic cover to the door swing arm - just need to remove the plastic cover.
- 2 small screws at bottom of that panel (near your knees)
- 2 bigger screws holding the AC vent to the panel (one you'll find looking under the AC panel, other is inside the vent).
The whole panel then just wiggles out.

Overall, pretty easy job! Thanks for the input here.
And hope this helps others.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Build-up's, Projects & Registry Profiles > Smaller Projects

Tags
switch, wheel