AC recharge - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Build-up's, Projects & Registry Profiles > Smaller Projects

Old June 3rd, 2013, 08:29 AM
1of40
1of40
NAS 97SW & 83 One Ten Tdi

Registry
AC recharge

It's that time of the year again here on the east coast. The humidity is starting to kick ass on some days. I don't run the AC much but my 97SW tends to need a recharge every couple years now.

Yesterday I stopped by the auto store and bought a recharge kit for $30, read the 3 step directions and did it right there in the parking lot.

Worked great. I'm fully charged and the kit is reusable so will only need a can of gas next time.

A couple years ago I got talked into recharging it while I was at a local shop getting tires mounted. That was about $90 and seemed to take them forever to run the die and tell me what I knew already.

Nice simple fix so I thought I'd pass it along.

Clay

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old June 3rd, 2013, 08:41 AM
leastonce
Jason England
D-90 White 95 SW #65
Site Team

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1of40 View Post
It's that time of the year again here on the east coast. The humidity is starting to kick ass on some days. I don't run the AC much but my 97SW tends to need a recharge every couple years now.

Yesterday I stopped by the auto store and bought a recharge kit for $30, read the 3 step directions and did it right there in the parking lot.

Worked great. I'm fully charged and the kit is reusable so will only need a can of gas next time.

A couple years ago I got talked into recharging it while I was at a local shop getting tires mounted. That was about $90 and seemed to take them forever to run the die and tell me what I knew already.

Clay
I guess your system was low ... the reason it took longer before was they used a vacuum to pull all the air and moisture out of the system so that it would run a t peak efficiency. Using these cans with a system that is totally empty of had a leak is a complete waste of time and money ( ask me how I know ).
Cat Camping Collective founding member and Chief Executive Officer
Old June 3rd, 2013, 09:10 AM
tjfslaughter
thomas
Burbon

Quote:
Originally Posted by leastonce View Post

I guess your system was low ... the reason it took longer before was they used a vacuum to pull all the air and moisture out of the system so that it would run a t peak efficiency. Using these cans with a system that is totally empty of had a leak is a complete waste of time and money ( ask me how I know ).
Yep. We still need to find that leak.

------ Follow up post added June 3rd, 2013 09:12 AM ------

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1of40 View Post

Clay
The only issue is that air is still trapped in your system. If it leaks out again get a cheap set of hoses and vacuum pump (maybe 40 bucks) from harbor freight and try to locate the leak. I found my leak and had a hydraulic hose guy make me up a new one.

Old June 3rd, 2013, 09:20 AM
tjfslaughter
thomas
Burbon

This is the pump I have, works well:

http://www.harborfreight.com/air-vac...ors-96677.html

Hose set:

http://www.harborfreight.com/a-c-man...set-92649.html

If you get a hose set make sure it has negative pressure on the gauge.

Here is a good how to guide:

http://www.firstfives.org/faq/AC/ac_charge.html

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Build-up's, Projects & Registry Profiles > Smaller Projects