AC Compressor Conversion - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Build-up's, Projects & Registry Profiles > Smaller Projects

Old February 21st, 2015, 12:57 PM
RBBailey
RBBailey
1965 IIa

Registry
AC Compressor Conversion

I'm sure this is on here some place, sorry. I searched for a good half an hour. And the other places I found through Google just didn't cut it.

Going to be converting the AC compressor from the 4.2 into an air compressor to a reserve tank.

If anyone has done it, I'd like to see pics, and know about parts and such that you used.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old February 21st, 2015, 01:04 PM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
A defender in every driveway-motto
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by RBBailey View Post
I'm sure this is on here some place, sorry. I searched for a good half an hour. And the other places I found through Google just didn't cut it.

Going to be converting the AC compressor from the 4.2 into an air compressor to a reserve tank.

If anyone has done it, I'd like to see pics, and know about parts and such that you used.
Use a york piston type instead of the rotary type. The Yorks are oil bath and self lubricate. The rotary's rely on oil in the gas being compressed so not as well suited for conversion. Jeff Huff- jefhuf here has a york with a four air hose manifold on it. He airs up all four tires @ once and fast. Pretty fun to watch. The range rover classic lwb eas tank is designed for 150+ psi and has ears on the tank that make it easy to mount to the floor or frame.

Maybe Jeff can post up pictures of what he did.

Dividing Creek Imports
Worldwide Vehicle Shipment and Importation Service
Restoration & Modification work

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old February 21st, 2015, 01:05 PM
Davis
Chris Davis
94 NAS D90 6.2LS

I have done both a York and the Sanden style compressor. Which style compressor do you have? Most likely the sanden. You will need to provide an oiler and also a separator to get the oil back out. I will take some photos for you. If you are doing the York (which is much better, btw) then I will dig up my old photos. If you have a choice, do a york--that said, the sanden works fine, just not nearly as powerful.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old February 21st, 2015, 01:12 PM
RBBailey
RBBailey
1965 IIa

Registry
Ah, OK, so the standard set up lubricates itself through the "air" hoses? Meaning you get oil in the air you are compressing?

Yeah, I'll go visit the engine today and check what type it is.

Other than that, is it basically about getting hoses to go to a tank? Where have you mounted tanks in a 110?
Old February 21st, 2015, 01:27 PM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
A defender in every driveway-motto
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by RBBailey View Post
Ah, OK, so the standard set up lubricates itself through the "air" hoses? Meaning you get oil in the air you are compressing?

Yeah, I'll go visit the engine today and check what type it is.

Other than that, is it basically about getting hoses to go to a tank? Where have you mounted tanks in a 110?
inside the frame behind the tcase on the side opposite the exhaust. there are two ports on a compressor you plumb an intake on the one side, filter suggested, and the compressed side.

Ed Kang did a write up here http://www.defendersource.com/forum/...eferrerid=3511

Dividing Creek Imports
Worldwide Vehicle Shipment and Importation Service
Restoration & Modification work

Old February 21st, 2015, 02:10 PM
Davis
Chris Davis
94 NAS D90 6.2LS

Here is the link to my v-belt York set up from a while ago: http://www.defendersource.com/forum/...-air-8187.html I swapped front covers to the serpentine set up to get the crank driven oil pump and I couldn't refit the york without a different bracket, so I just did the sanden. I'll post pics on that later for you.
Old February 21st, 2015, 02:13 PM
Gren_T
Gren Thomas
1985 90 300tdi auto

Hi I've used a sanden as my air source, mainly as it fits my TDI & I like the switchable clutch.

I tapped the ports to take 8mm push fit airline & have a 5ltr reservoir with regulator and oil separator, I have it mounted to the rear crossmember, a little awkward to adjust the pressure but nicely out of the way.

I've used quick release fittings with an ARB airline, there are outlets in the front and the rear - no pictures of these.
The compressor easily inflates a 31" tyre, and gives a great CFM there is a safety blow off on the reservoir set at 120psi with a pressure switch on the compressor with 90psi on & 110psi off.

I lubricate the pump once in a while by dropping oil into the inlet, you could fit an inline oiler but I'm not too bothered if the compressor dies as they are cheap to replace.

regards all
Gren
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	iphone 086.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	64.3 KB
ID:	114263   Click image for larger version

Name:	iphone 087.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	76.6 KB
ID:	114264  

Click image for larger version

Name:	iphone 088.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	75.1 KB
ID:	114265   Click image for larger version

Name:	iphone 089.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	79.5 KB
ID:	114266  

Old February 21st, 2015, 03:45 PM
jefhuf
Jeff Huff
'94 D90 ST #655
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Douglas View Post
Use a york piston type instead of the rotary type. The Yorks are oil bath and self lubricate. The rotary's rely on oil in the gas being compressed so not as well suited for conversion. Jeff Huff- jefhuf here has a york with a four air hose manifold on it. He airs up all four tires @ once and fast. Pretty fun to watch. The range rover classic lwb eas tank is designed for 150+ psi and has ears on the tank that make it easy to mount to the floor or frame.

Maybe Jeff can post up pictures of what he did.
I will dig up some photos later but as Doug said I made a bracket to mount my York on the opposite side of the alternator/ps pump and actually designed it so the belt that runs the compressor doubles as an alternator spare (same size). I also attached an unloader and oil/water separator to a bracket mounted at the coolant reservoir. I plumbed my setup to a series of two air tanks and have a backup Viair compressor just in case. I have air ports in the front, rear and under the RH seat box. Some of the ports run tank pressure (150psi) and others are regulated to 40psi for tire easy tire fill up.

The York puts out around 4cfm at 1500rpm and will air up tires in a hurry as well as run air tools if you want.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Build-up's, Projects & Registry Profiles > Smaller Projects

Tags
ac, compressor, conversion