Defender Source Forum banner

87 D90 2.5TD to 200TDI Swap...

Tags
200tdi 90 d90 tdi
4K views 22 replies 11 participants last post by  Shagey71 
#1 ·
Swapping a Defender 200TDI into my 87 90 with a 2.5TD. Just spent an hour on it today, got the hood off and started working on getting the front grill and radiator out. Starting this thread as a build log and for people to chime in with advice as much as possible. Will try to document as much as possible, I'm a novice with this so I'll be asking for help often.

Attachments

See less See more
#6 ·
Good luck CC, I did mine last summer at Uncle Doug's place. We started on a Friday and had it running Sunday afternoon. Having the skill set and endless knowledge of Doug was an immeasurable help. Do you have power steering? If you don't I would highly suggest doing that while you have it apart as it made all the difference in the world in drivability. Look forward to seeing the progress.

#10 ·
I had been told several times these are nla ? The originals break very easily

------ Follow up post added November 22nd, 2015 10:59 AM ------

Good luck CC, I did mine last summer at Uncle Doug's place. We started on a Friday and had it running Sunday afternoon. Having the skill set and endless knowledge of Doug was an immeasurable help. .
You did it and I helped ?

Time flies, that was memorial day weekend 2014.

#9 ·
I am enjoying the repeated confidence booster - "you can do it quick if you have the knowledge and skills" -- ha, I don't have the knowledge and skills for sure!

My goal is to have it done by Christmas, working on it when I can a few hours here and there. I do have power steering.

#16 ·
Ditto to this. The 200tdi has a different one but I modified my original with some
Welded on brackets and made it work

Not a hard swap at all. Just stick to your game plan. Little by little. It can be done in a day or two of you want. But nothing wrong with taking your time, especially the first time.

#19 ·
I'm also an advocate of getting everything from the donor vehicle and staying as factory as possible. It make life in the future a lot better. Only change things when you are doing it better than factory.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.