'84 300 Tdi 110 Fuel Tank - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Build-up's, Projects & Registry Profiles > Smaller Projects

Old August 31st, 2011, 10:33 PM
Shearpin
Henry Stinson
'73 Series III SWB '84 110 tdi

'84 300 Tdi 110 Fuel Tank

Just a quick question regarding fuel tanks. My 1984 Defender 110 has a fuel tank leak. The tank is steal - part number NRC7570. I need to run some of the fuel out of the tank this week before dropping it to inspect. I suspect the leak is occurring at the front tank seam where the cradle mount is. In addition, there is a surprising amount of dirt and grime leaking from the cradle/tank edges - I am concerned what the tank will look like between. Phone conversations have suggested approx. $200.00 for the repair.

I also have noticed later plastic tanks for sale. Outside of the obvious benefit regarding corrosion here in Canada - are there any other benefits to the plastic tank. Would this conversion be possible on my chassis - knowing Rover I assume the chassis design wasn't modified to accommodate the plastic tank? Outside of the sender - would there be any additional costly parts required to convert?

Much obliged...

Henry
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old September 1st, 2011, 07:37 AM
junkyddog11
oil soaked filter
95 RRC 300tdi

The original tank was one piece as in the cradle was part of the tank and they all pretty much rusted out (like the RRC tanks that all failed....actually the same tank) There is nothing really wrong with the new replacement tank with the separate cradle. Fitting the plastic tank is a pain in the arse and considerably more expensive .

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
new expansion complete. Not only are we the only Rover shop in Eliot Maine...now we're also the biggest.

"Dedicated to the resurrection of junk through engineering?"
Old September 1st, 2011, 11:00 AM
cgalpin
Charles Galpin
'94 D90 ST, '63 SeriesIIA
Site Team

Registry
And yes there are chassis differences - the plastic fuel tank cradle is hard to get (although I think someone had some made up recently) and expensive. I'd just get a new tank, or seal/repair the one you have if it isn't bad.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old September 1st, 2011, 09:02 PM
Shearpin
Henry Stinson
'73 Series III SWB '84 110 tdi

Thanks for the posts - I'll pull the one I have and take a look at how bad it is...

Regards,
Henry

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Build-up's, Projects & Registry Profiles > Smaller Projects

Tags
110, 300 tdi, fuel, fuel tank, tdi