200tdi Swap into a 88 UK d-90 - Page 2 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Build-up's, Projects & Registry Profiles > Smaller Projects

Join the Defender Source Community Today

Old May 25th, 2012, 06:46 PM
1988 90
So the swap is all done and it runs great. I'll make the vid soon but here's some take always

It's not a hugely difficult job. Give yourself some time some space and the right tools and any mechanically inclined soul can do it

From a 2.5 td to a defender 200tdi. Main issues I had;

Fuel lines don't swap over. The injection pump on the 200tdi uses a 12mm 1.5 pitch banjo bolt. The 2.5 used all. Comp fittings. Barbed connectors are your friend for nylon fuel line splices. Fuel routing is simple. Fuel tank to lift pump. Lift pump to filter Filter to injection pump (front). Rear of njection pump to return. Return to tank

You will need. 200tdi fan shroud, radiator and intercooler and frame(rad/.intercooler surround). The Sharp bend of intercooler goes on bottom. I ordered some extra 2" silicone hoses and a 45 degree elbow as the ones provided didn't do the job.

I bought a 200tdi air filter housing, but didn't like the way it fit so I ended up modifying the old one. I Cut off the brackets and made new ones.

A welder is a good thing to have, not 100% necessary but it let me fab up some brackets for the air filter housing and came in handy a few other times.

other than that its very very striaght forward. Be patient lining up the input shaft and the engine.... i did it by myslef but it took a good 30min of fiddling with it.

Mark the sensors as you take them out, although they pretty much go where they lie. Oil press. sensor is white and brown, stop solenoid is white, as those two are very close to each other.

I was very happy that i didn't snap a single bolt. Infact they all came off/out rather easily. I guess the layers of waxoyl did the trick (although I had to scrape away at each bolt to get a socket on it lol! I was very happy with how rust free the entire frame and engine bay was after removing the engine and cleaning it all off.

I'm very happy with the performance so far, I took it around the town for a bit and it ran great. got warm but the needle didn't get to half way..which I say is a good thing;. I'll be buying a VDO gauge shortly for more accurate temp readings.

As mentioned, I'll get the pics and vid up later next week.

if anyone is going to venture into this swap feel free to PM me for more details

1967 Series IIa 109 5 Door - Work in progress
'98 Toyota Land Cruiser 100 Series
Old May 26th, 2012, 02:43 AM
Daniel Marcello
1994 Defender 90 #916
Also, wiring loom includes 2.5 temp sender wire that goes on the top, rear of the head (blue wire) and also include 200Tdi temp sender that goes to the thermostate area (also blue wire).

Very convenient!

1955 Series I
1994 Defender 90 #916
1967 Lancia Fulvia
1974 Alfa Romeo GTV

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Build-up's, Projects & Registry Profiles > Smaller Projects

200tdi, 90, d-90, tdi