200tdi and 300tdi Engine Versions - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Build-up's, Projects & Registry Profiles > Smaller Projects

Join the Defender Source Community Today

Old October 5th, 2008, 10:19 AM
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team
200tdi and 300tdi Engine Versions

There are numerous versions of Tdi engines floating around out there and the variants can be daunting for those trying to find an appropriate set-up for their application. This is the thread to post pix and relate experiences about getting motors set up and running. Lets not have any hear-say, but rather actual pix and experiences.

Old October 26th, 2008, 12:50 PM
Jamie Austin
1992 110 Td5 CSW & 1989 MB G-Wagen
OK, a quick start then:

200Tdi.... in defenders and discoveries, these never had much in the way of immobilisation on them. Some discoveries (and later defenders) had an alarm with immobiliser which just cut the starter and fuel solenoid (behind the dash), nothing actually "on" the engine, so with a length of wire clipped onto the fuel solenoid and reaching over to the starter +ve.... wahey! off ya go.

The discovery and defender 200Tdi's are slightly different. the turbo/manifold assemblies are different, as are the front cover/timing chest.
discovery 200's won't fit "directly" into a 90/110 engine bay,using genuine parts, without a little tweeking. The exhaust downpipe is the main culprit. but a few hours welding with some pipe can sort that, or the likes of Steve Parker make off the shelf converted pipes. In fact, if you look at his page you'll see all the little kits he does to make lifes easier, although it's only pipes and stuff, so nothing that can't be fabbed locally.

the 200Tdi will bolt straight onto an LT77 gearbox that used to be bolted to a 2.5 diesel/petrol (that's NA diesel and the old turboD) and also, with the removal of a couple of studs and drilling the holes out slightly on the bellhousing, onto a series gearbox.

300Tdi: there wree several types of these.

the early defenders/disco's had a plain engine, no EGR (Exhaust gas recirculation) or immobilised FIP. there was a "spider" alarm unit fitted to later models, but this just cut the starter and solenoid feed (it mounted under the LH batteries in the seatbox, in a sealed box).
Later still, some engines had a "digital immobiliser" fitted to the top of the injection pump, this had 3 wires, but if you break off the plastic cap, you can remove all that junk and fit a normal solenoid with one wire to feed it.
vehicles with EGR also had a "throttle position sensor" on the linkage, this was just to tell the ECU where abouts the throttle pedal was, again, this can be junked, as can the EGR valve (with a suitable blanking plate over the exhaust manifold)
Later discovery auto's had Drive by Wire engines. the basic engine is the same, but the injection pump had electronic feeds to it instead of the older type steel pedal cable, and it's not too cheap to get the pump converted back to non-electronic (not to be stated that it can't be done, it's just a hassle, so be careful when you buy an engine that it's the correct one.)

LT77's (from 4 cylinder vehicles,) and series gearboxes can also be bolted to a 300Tdi, but you need to remove the flywheel housing from a 200Tdi/2.5 engine and bolt it to the 300 first. See "Nicks Jungle" (a friend of mine, Nick McFarland in Ireland) who has done this, and various other mods to make a 300Tdi fit.

On this page, he shows how the glowplug wiring is taken care of, using the factory parts

Attached are the mounting positions of a factory 300Tdi in a defender, using an R380 (also mounted in the factory positions), plus the dimensions of the 300Tdi engine mounts themselves.

shout if you need more info.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Brackets depth.jpg
Views:	228
Size:	53.1 KB
ID:	15962   Click image for larger version

Name:	Brackets width.jpg
Views:	292
Size:	59.0 KB
ID:	15963  

Click image for larger version

Name:	Dimensions of RH bracket.JPG
Views:	251
Size:	44.1 KB
ID:	15964   Click image for larger version

Name:	crossmember bracket start point.JPG
Views:	337
Size:	46.9 KB
ID:	15965  

Old January 8th, 2012, 11:21 PM
83 D110 RHD 300tdi Disco conversion
I have heard of the 77 fitting on but you had to remove the stud to make it fit onto the 300tdi now to verify this I havent. I am picking around to find out myself.
Old January 9th, 2012, 04:48 AM
Matthew Greenspan
Land Rovers
This is incredibly informative on 200tdi engines and installation into Defenders/90s/110s. http://www.glencoyne.co.uk/tdiguide.htm

His knowledge is excellent and the install is very clean and effective. I know from experience as I have one in my daily driver setup by him.
Do not read the next sentence.

You little rebel, I like you.
Old January 9th, 2012, 10:49 AM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
A defender in every driveway-motto
D-90 Source Vendor
most know change the aluminum "clutch cover" which is the aluminum casting behind the fly wheel and you can get a 200 tdi to bolt up to an r380 and vice versa a 300 tdi to an lt77. That said, you also need to swap the rear main seal holders. Unfortunately I don't have a picture but the seal holders mate to the clutch covers and are different castings as well.
Good judgement comes from experience,experience comes from bad judgement.

Dividing Creek Imports
Worldwide Land Rover Shipment and Importation Service
Bespoke Restoration & Modification work

Old January 9th, 2012, 09:52 PM
2009 Range Rover
Don't you forget to mention to change the input shaft ? ALmost all R380 gearboxes (except some special ones) have a long bellhousing. All Defender LT77 have a short bellhousing.

Except for two bolts tHe LT77 fits behind a 300Tdi.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Build-up's, Projects & Registry Profiles > Smaller Projects

200tdi, 300tdi, engine, tdi