110 door rebuild - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Build-up's, Projects & Registry Profiles > Smaller Projects

Old February 26th, 2015, 08:23 PM
jayz
Jason Zolezzi
85 200tdi 110

110 door rebuild

First off sorry about the multiple posts. I can only download one pic at a time. I got my hands on some decent NAS 110 doors with minimal surface rust. I started out by trying to clean them up with a grinder but quickly realized that just wasn't going to work
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-964293986.jpg
Views:	278
Size:	638.1 KB
ID:	114688  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old February 26th, 2015, 08:27 PM
jayz
Jason Zolezzi
85 200tdi 110

Realizing the grinding was not going to work I moved on to peeling the skin off. I used a 2.5" chisel, worked pretty well.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	image-2046512237.jpg
Views:	199
Size:	556.0 KB
ID:	114689  
Old February 26th, 2015, 08:29 PM
jayz
Jason Zolezzi
85 200tdi 110

After trying to carefully peel the skin off so it could be reused, I again realized it was not going to work for me so I let my frustration take over and ripped the skin of. The cost of the new skins isn't worth the headach
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	image-2685697343.jpg
Views:	206
Size:	513.2 KB
ID:	114690  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old February 26th, 2015, 08:32 PM
jayz
Jason Zolezzi
85 200tdi 110

I got the doors stripped the felts of whatever hardware that was left on them so now they are ready for sandblasting tomorrow. Still trying to decide between powder coating and having them galvanized
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	image-4140121358.jpg
Views:	202
Size:	611.8 KB
ID:	114691  
Old February 26th, 2015, 08:33 PM
jayz
Jason Zolezzi
85 200tdi 110

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayz View Post
I got the doors stripped the felts of whatever hardware that was left on them so now they are ready for sandblasting tomorrow. Still trying to decide between powder coating and having them galvanized
any advice from someone that has done this is welcomed
Old February 26th, 2015, 08:40 PM
Overlander
mark kellgren
in between D's in an 04 D2

Registry
I'm going to enjoy following this! I'll be doing this someday in the future if I don't upgrade to puma doors. Keep up the work log!

ISIL and al qaeda can go F*ck themselves...
Old February 26th, 2015, 08:50 PM
jayz
Jason Zolezzi
85 200tdi 110

The further I dig into this the more I think it would have just been easier to buy door shells and swap the parts but I wouldn't get the quality coating on the frames. I will keep track of cost and see if it pencils out. Doing most of the work myself. I have a sandblaster showing up at work tomorrow. I was quoted 400 bucks to blast and chem treat the frames so there is a little savings
Old February 26th, 2015, 09:27 PM
cbfritz_03
Carmen
none

I broke my series doors down. They have tops and bottoms. I did the same thing to get the skins off. Smaller flat head screw driver first to 'start' a corner and then moved to larger 2 and 3in chisels to lift the edges up all the way around. If you're going to re-use the skins (I did) you have to be very patient, work slowly and be careful or you'll damage the skin. It was my experience that the trickiest or most fragile part of the skin was the inner area around the window. The lip or folded over part was not as wide, so there is more potential for it to rip if you go too fast.

My doors and windows had narrow gaps in the corners of the frames, so after I took the rust and paint off I welded the corners solid. Fixing any seams and/or replacing any badly rusted channel. After all that prep was done, I had them galvanized. I think I spent under $150 bucks to do all of them, not really sure but it wasn't much. I like and kept the dings and old paint, but now they are solid.

Not sure if any of this applies with your style of doors, but I thought I'd share just in case.
Old February 26th, 2015, 09:32 PM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
A defender in every driveway-motto
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Galvanize and get galv steel door skins instead of aluminum. Powder coat is just a paint of sorts. No substitute for zinc

Dividing Creek Imports
Worldwide Vehicle Shipment and Importation Service
Restoration & Modification work

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old February 26th, 2015, 09:35 PM
jayz
Jason Zolezzi
85 200tdi 110

Stephen used to have the Galvy skins. I called today and they are checking if they can get more. Is there another source here in the states if they can't come up with them. When they had them before I think they were 300 a pair

------ Follow up post added February 26th, 2015 09:38 PM ------

When I was cleaning them up I found that the lower sections had regular welds but up around the door latch it looks like they used copper or brass rod. Seemed odd to me, they are supposedly stock 93 NAS doors
Old February 26th, 2015, 09:39 PM
cbfritz_03
Carmen
none

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Douglas View Post
Galvanize and get galv steel door skins instead of aluminum. Powder coat is just a paint of sorts. No substitute for zinc
x2 If I were going to not re-use the existing skins I would have replaced with the galvy steel ones. And I'm trying to 'warm up' to powder coating. I just like galvy more.
Old February 26th, 2015, 09:41 PM
jayz
Jason Zolezzi
85 200tdi 110

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbfritz_03 View Post
I broke my series doors down. They have tops and bottoms. I did the same thing to get the skins off. Smaller flat head screw driver first to 'start' a corner and then moved to larger 2 and 3in chisels to lift the edges up all the way around. If you're going to re-use the skins (I did) you have to be very patient, work slowly and be careful or you'll damage the skin. It was my experience that the trickiest or most fragile part of the skin was the inner area around the window. The lip or folded over part was not as wide, so there is more potential for it to rip if you go too fast.

My doors and windows had narrow gaps in the corners of the frames, so after I took the rust and paint off I welded the corners solid. Fixing any seams and/or replacing any badly rusted channel. After all that prep was done, I had them galvanized. I think I spent under $150 bucks to do all of them, not really sure but it wasn't much. I like and kept the dings and old paint, but now they are solid.

Not sure if any of this applies with your style of doors, but I thought I'd share just in case.
Thanks for the advice, after they are blasted I will see how poorly they are put together and definitely beef them up where needed

------ Follow up post added February 26th, 2015 09:45 PM ------

Quote:
Galvanize THEN powdercoat! They will last forever. Can I put bolts in the threaded areas or do I need to get the right taps and chase the threads after gavy?
Old February 26th, 2015, 09:50 PM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
DEFENDER LH GALV STEEL PUSH BUTTON FRONT DOOR SKIN
DEFENDER RH GALV STEEL PUSH BUTTON FRONT DOOR SKIN

Dividing Creek Imports

Old February 26th, 2015, 09:52 PM
Jonesy
Craig
87 D110 (Ruby)

Registry
I had the same Q on what to do...ended up getting fully galvanized doors, primed, from SPL land rovers. They are awesome.
Old February 26th, 2015, 10:32 PM
jayz
Jason Zolezzi
85 200tdi 110

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonesy View Post
I had the same Q on what to do...ended up getting fully galvanized doors, primed, from SPL land rovers. They are awesome.
I was just looking at that exact site. I'm scared to get a shipping quote though. Thanks Doug
Joney have you built them out yet, did you get all new felts and all the little bits or did you re-use all your old parts. I think the most time consuming part of this is going to be finding all the parts. If I am going to do this I have to replace most Everything. My doors are shot
Old February 26th, 2015, 10:39 PM
cbfritz_03
Carmen
none

This way when you move on to your next project, at least doors won't be such a mystery. That's how I look at it anyway. I have two other trucks waiting after this one. Google and YouTube are invaluable. Get new felts and seals
Old February 26th, 2015, 10:54 PM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
I was just looking at that exact site. I'm scared to get a shipping quote though. Thanks Doug
Joney have you built them out yet, did you get all new felts and all the little bits or did you re-use all your old parts. I think the most time consuming part of this is going to be finding all the parts. If I am going to do this I have to replace most of the parts. My doors are shot
Craig will I think agree, the dude has crazy low shipping costs.

Dividing Creek Imports

Old February 26th, 2015, 11:07 PM
jayz
Jason Zolezzi
85 200tdi 110

Quote:
Craig will I think agree, the dude has crazy low shipping costs.
The website says free shipping but that can't apply to us on this side of the pond
Old February 26th, 2015, 11:12 PM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
The website says free shipping but that can't apply to us on this side of the pond
of course not but was nowhere near as brutal as I expected when I got the door skins.

Dividing Creek Imports

Old February 26th, 2015, 11:33 PM
jayz
Jason Zolezzi
85 200tdi 110

Just placed the order. Got the skins felts and water seals. We'll see what the shipping adds up to tomorrow.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Build-up's, Projects & Registry Profiles > Smaller Projects