110 door rebuild - Page 4 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Build-up's, Projects & Registry Profiles > Smaller Projects

Old March 19th, 2015, 05:23 PM
javelinadave
-
-

Wow, just wow.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old March 19th, 2015, 10:03 PM
jayz
Jason Zolezzi
85 200tdi 110

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbfritz_03 View Post
Z, I didn't say they were easy? They can be highly frustrating and I was attempting to be supportive of Jason. I always encourage people to try...be undaunted by setback. I'll hush up ...don't want to derail this thread just cause I'm a cheerleader. Go Jason and your door building self!!

ok all done
Thanks Carmen, I usually try to do everything on my own. If you don't do it you won't learn

------ Follow up post added March 19th, 2015 09:08 PM ------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mybluett View Post
Strangely I consider doors a consumable - 15-30yr lifespan if cared for - but at some point it becomes less expensive and time consuming to let them go and replace with new shells… Move the guts over, replace the rusted channel and start the clock again.

Didn't find the original door build video - just the sound reduction and LaSalle initial door card fitting one.
I can't play the video on my iPad. What did you use for soundproofing? The steel skins sound like a damn tuning fork when you tap them with something. I'm thinking some kind of spray on stuff so I can get as much coverage as possible
Old March 19th, 2015, 10:09 PM
Z.G
Zack
300Tdi 95 D1

Registry
I'm not trying to dissuade you from building your own doors Jason; just allocate a good amount of time to do them correctly. I've watched plenty get built and can honestly say it takes some skill.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old March 19th, 2015, 10:14 PM
javelinadave
-
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayz View Post
I can't play the video on my iPad. What did you use for soundproofing? The steel skins sound like a damn tuning fork when you tap them with something. I'm thinking some kind of spray on stuff so I can get as much coverage as possible
Go with stick on acoustic matting if you can. The spray stuff works but the mass loaded vinyl works much better. The only place I would spray stuff would be in the exterior of the wheel wells, the underside and any place I couldn't stick on a sound deadening product.
Old March 19th, 2015, 10:17 PM
jayz
Jason Zolezzi
85 200tdi 110

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z.G View Post
I'm not trying to dissuade you from building your own doors Jason; just allocate a good amount of time to do them correctly. I've watched plenty get built and can honestly say it takes some skill.
Wow, everyone's getting all touchy. I can clearly see the complexity of the project and I am ready to take it on. The biggest problem is i have to do one at a time and switch them over sice I am re using the guts. Or I can just drive around doorless
Old March 19th, 2015, 10:24 PM
Z.G
Zack
300Tdi 95 D1

Registry
I'm not touchy over here

Good luck!
Old March 19th, 2015, 10:40 PM
cbfritz_03
Carmen
none

Quote:
Thanks Carmen, I usually try to do everything on my own. If you don't do it you won't learn
You betcha... ...I agree and me too.
Old June 2nd, 2015, 09:24 PM
EnduroPro
Stephen LeBlanc
1994 Defender 90

Any updates?
Old June 2nd, 2015, 10:22 PM
icnsltmfg
Adam
1988 D90 RHD 19J

Registry
I just purchased a rear safari door from SP in the UK with a whole bunch of stuff including rear glass and a spare tire carrier and shipping was 100GBP total! Very pleased!

I also have 2 painted NTO Puma stripped doors that I have to swap out...having worked in assembly plants, if you are doing it yourself, put the hinges on and then just the latch with a string attached to the release...much easir to lift empty doors and mount, then install the guts once they are on the vehicle...put some tape on the door opening so there is no scratching....now if you have a helper, build the doors up fully and then bolt to the body...

Now is a great time to add door lock actuators and power window kits to the regulators...if of course you have push button and wind up windows...

2017 Range Rover L405 HSE TD6
2008 Range Rover HSE L322/MkIII - Gone but not forgotten
1988 D90 County RHD 2.5TD
2015 Porsche Cayenne TD
Old June 7th, 2015, 11:28 PM
jayz
Jason Zolezzi
85 200tdi 110

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnduroPro View Post
Any updates?
Skins are on and ready to go. I took one of the second row doors apart and realized I needed a few more parts like the fixed window bracket, totally rusted, and a couple of other small bits. Headed to Cabo next week so I am planning to dive in when I get home
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	113
Size:	81.0 KB
ID:	122546  
Old June 8th, 2015, 12:45 AM
RBBailey
RBBailey
1965 IIa

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mybluett View Post
Strangely I consider doors a consumable - 15-30yr lifespan if cared for - but at some point it becomes less expensive and time consuming to let them go and replace with new shells… Move the guts over, replace the rusted channel and start the clock again.

Didn't find the original door build video - just the sound reduction and LaSalle initial door card fitting one.
Brian, I've often wondered about that these last few months.... considering that my Defender doors feel like wet newspaper even compared to my split, original 1965 IIa doors.

The IIa doors have 30% coverage of matting, and they are quieter, but mostly, the stuff actually makes the doors work better. Can I expect something of the same results when I use this stuff on Defender doors?

1965 IIa SWB
1988 Saudi 110 (soon to be 300tdi)
Old June 8th, 2015, 11:34 AM
sonoronos
Ed
None

Registry
Quote:
Skins are on and ready to go. I took one of the second row doors apart and realized I needed a few more parts like the fixed window bracket, totally rusted, and a couple of other small bits. Headed to Cabo next week so I am planning to dive in when I get home
Nicely done! The results will last for decades...
Old June 12th, 2015, 09:30 AM
curry
brandon curry
Series 1 and 110.

Registry
Nicely done. Cant wait to see the rears.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Build-up's, Projects & Registry Profiles > Smaller Projects