110 door rebuild - Page 3 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Build-up's, Projects & Registry Profiles > Smaller Projects

Old March 13th, 2015, 09:03 AM
Jonesy
Craig
87 D110 (Ruby)

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Douglas View Post
I'd rather change an engine than build a pair of 2nd row doors.
Oh shiiiiiiiiiiiiit....

Maybe I will have a door party with beer, burgers & ribs at my place in the spring!

Galpin's in - I know that.
Advertisement

Old March 13th, 2015, 09:27 AM
belgian
Maxim
1995 RRC SWB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonesy View Post
Oh shiiiiiiiiiiiiit....

Maybe I will have a door party with beer, burgers & ribs at my place in the spring!

If you have Stella... I'm in.
Old March 13th, 2015, 09:59 AM
1of40
1of40
NAS 97SW & 83 One Ten Tdi

Registry
Quote:
Oh shiiiiiiiiiiiiit....

I picture sleepy drunks with 3 1/2 inch chisels in both hands.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old March 13th, 2015, 10:17 AM
jayz
Jason Zolezzi
85 200tdi 110

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1of40 View Post
These will be the last doors standing. After the meticulous planning and execution there's no way these are going to ever see mud and salt ever again.
Oh they are going to see mud and rocks, no salt here in Ca. That's why I am going to all this trouble. I need to be able to ride it hard and put it up wet.
Old March 13th, 2015, 10:37 AM
jayz
Jason Zolezzi
85 200tdi 110

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Douglas View Post
nothing easy about the mechanisms although the earlier ones seem better than the new/tdci style ones. I'd rather change an engine than build a pair of 2nd row doors.
This is not really what I wanted to hear, oh well. One at a time.
Old March 13th, 2015, 01:16 PM
Mybluett
Defenders Northwest
110SW
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayz View Post
This is not really what I wanted to hear, oh well. One at a time.
Nothing too difficult about building up push-button/roll-up doors - the time consuming part is functionality adjustment and fitting.

If you follow the steps in order and leave sufficient time for the paint to cure then you shouldn't have any issues.

Somewhere on my hard-drive is a time-lapse I shot on door building, and I'm getting ready to do another set of fronts for the 90 we are working on now.
Old March 13th, 2015, 07:50 PM
jayz
Jason Zolezzi
85 200tdi 110

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mybluett View Post
Nothing too difficult about building up push-button/roll-up doors - the time consuming part is functionality adjustment and fitting.

If you follow the steps in order and leave sufficient time for the paint to cure then you shouldn't have any issues.

Somewhere on my hard-drive is a time-lapse I shot on door building, and I'm getting ready to do another set of fronts for the 90 we are working on now.
About how manny hours per door does it take once you have the system down?
Old March 13th, 2015, 08:06 PM
cbfritz_03
Carmen
none

I'd say if you could get one completely reassembled and hung in 3-4 hours you'd be doing great ... under that and you're flying.
Old March 13th, 2015, 09:11 PM
Jonesy
Craig
87 D110 (Ruby)

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbfritz_03 View Post
I'd say if you could get one completely reassembled and hung in 3-4 hours you'd be doing great ... under that and you're flying.
How many have you done Carmen? Any advice?

Series doors are a piece of cake...20mins max. I have done over 20 of those.
Old March 13th, 2015, 09:42 PM
sonoronos
Ed
None

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayz View Post
About how manny hours per door does it take once you have the system down?
Took me about 4 hours to rebuild both my doors (prior to paint) with all parts on hand. Mine are roll-up anti-burst station wagon doors.

Painting took two days (mostly to dry between coats)

Hanging the doors took hours with cgalpin's help. The are heavy as all get-out once fully assembled. Having a friend (or some kind of a rope lift) is very helpful.
Old March 13th, 2015, 09:56 PM
jayz
Jason Zolezzi
85 200tdi 110

Ok, great info to have. I am going to be taking parts off one door and putting them onto the new ones so I won't be confused about what goes where. I am replacing all the felts and plastic bits around the windows though. Thanks for the help guys
Old March 13th, 2015, 10:26 PM
cbfritz_03
Carmen
none

Quote:
How many have you done Carmen? Any advice?

Series doors are a piece of cake...20mins max. I have done over 20 of those.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonoronos View Post
Took me about 4 hours to rebuild both my doors (prior to paint) with all parts on hand. Mine are roll-up anti-burst station wagon doors.

Painting took two days (mostly to dry between coats)

Hanging the doors took hours with cgalpin's help. The are heavy as all get-out once fully assembled. Having a friend (or some kind of a rope lift) is very helpful.
I was making a guess. The defender and series land rover doors don't seem too complicated. Part of why I like these trucks so much. They are uniquely uncomplicated and easy on the eyes. Awkward and heavy to handle as Ed suggests. Especially after being galvanized. I left out painting and prep time, just talking about assembly and install. I was pretty close to the time frame yes?
Old March 17th, 2015, 07:18 PM
jayz
Jason Zolezzi
85 200tdi 110

Rear skins arrived today. Going to start prepping the galvanized frames this week. Going to try to sand as lightly as possible to smooth out the hot dip finish
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1912264460.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	408.4 KB
ID:	116278  
Old March 17th, 2015, 07:36 PM
Jonesy
Craig
87 D110 (Ruby)

Registry
Quote:
I was making a guess. The defender and series land rover doors don't seem too complicated. Part of why I like these trucks so much. They are uniquely uncomplicated and easy on the eyes. Awkward and heavy to handle as Ed suggests. Especially after being galvanized. I left out painting and prep time, just talking about assembly and install. I was pretty close to the time frame yes?
HHAHAHA....yep after someone who has done it has suggested.

But hey - that is Ed. You don't know Ed, but he is the most OCD guy I have ever met. I won't go in to details on it...needless to say we mostly 1/2 his time estimates (love ya Ed!!)

Nice try Carmen.
Old March 17th, 2015, 11:24 PM
cbfritz_03
Carmen
none

I don't know Ed or you.. I know me though and that is how long it would take me. When I started on my first series truck restoration and you figured out I was a woman..you said you thought I (it) was crazy. Not crazy Craig. I just enjoy the same things and happen to be female. I can take the heat if you need to ridicule me... hazing? Do I need to get some doors, rebuild them and time myself for you? lol
Old March 18th, 2015, 01:26 AM
sonoronos
Ed
None

Registry
Hahah....I guess I am ocd...maybe that's why this truck of mine is constantly annoying me! it is always falling apart and never "done"
Old March 19th, 2015, 10:16 AM
Rufus
Rufus
1994 NAS D90 ST #1118

Registry
Jayz, Great thread - Im learning a lot. I have 2 pairs of extra NAS 90 half doors (that are in need of repair) and if Jackie Treehorn's welding skills can help patching internal door frame sections, then Im off to the races.

D90 Yahoo Group member since 2001
Old March 19th, 2015, 01:53 PM
Mybluett
Defenders Northwest
110SW
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Strangely I consider doors a consumable - 15-30yr lifespan if cared for - but at some point it becomes less expensive and time consuming to let them go and replace with new shells… Move the guts over, replace the rusted channel and start the clock again.

Didn't find the original door build video - just the sound reduction and LaSalle initial door card fitting one.
Attached Files
Old March 19th, 2015, 02:21 PM
Z.G
Zack
300Tdi 95 D1

Registry
Quote:
I don't know Ed or you.. I know me though and that is how long it would take me. When I started on my first series truck restoration and you figured out I was a woman..you said you thought I (it) was crazy. Not crazy Craig. I just enjoy the same things and happen to be female. I can take the heat if you need to ridicule me... hazing? Do I need to get some doors, rebuild them and time myself for you? lol

There are varying quantities of 64 line items to build a newer front door. I would hardly say it's a walk in the park....
Old March 19th, 2015, 03:26 PM
cbfritz_03
Carmen
none

Z, I didn't say they were easy? They can be highly frustrating and I was attempting to be supportive of Jason. I always encourage people to try...be undaunted by setback. I'll hush up ...don't want to derail this thread just cause I'm a cheerleader. Go Jason and your door building self!!

ok all done

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Build-up's, Projects & Registry Profiles > Smaller Projects