Defender Source Forum banner

Who wants to build me my Defender 110?

4K views 27 replies 16 participants last post by  1of40 
#1 ·
Hello everyone,

I'm new to the board as a member, but have been lurking for a while prior to that. I've decided on what I'm looking for in a Defender. While I have the resources (mechanic friends with shops, etc.) I don't have the time to build my own. So, I'm looking for an experienced builder to build one for me. The following are the specs I'm looking for:

Defender 110, 1992 or earlier and original (for US Import), 3-Door, diesel (200TDI preferably), disc front power brakes and steering, tan canvas no-window soft top, Arles Blue body and fenders (possibly two-tone with tan top to match soft top), 11-seat configuration with tan canvas upholstery (but with nice blue stitching and/or piping) to match the soft-top, swinging rear half door, rear mounted spare, heavy duty steel wheels powdercoated Arles Blue, Wolf style roll cage with cross bars, modest stereo, no diamond plate, Tithonus style jerry can cubbys (completely enclosed inside for misc. storage, black rear step tow bumper and standard front bumper.

If you are interested in building this truck for me please send me a PM, or feel free to comment on this thread. Thanks!

#11 ·
No, but you may know me from Fchat and Beechtalk. I know you. :)

------ Follow up post added April 26th, 2017 06:59 AM ------

What is a 3 door wagon?

I don't know what exactly the model is called. Not a pickup, not a 5-door wagon. A 3-door soft top ala the MOD Tithonus models. I've seen them called everything from trucks to beech runners.

------ Follow up post added April 26th, 2017 07:02 AM ------

Something like this, but soft top ?

View attachment 235513

Pretty much. Something basic and CLEAN. I want it to look like an old school Defender, not a super custom build. But, I want it to be clean and relatively new looking, not rusted and dented. It doesn't have to be a body off rebuild if the chassis is in really good and clean condition.

#9 · (Edited)
I'm new to the board as a member... I'm looking for:

Defender 110, 1992 or earlier and original (for US Import), 3-Door, diesel (200TDI preferably), disc front power brakes and steering, tan canvas no-window soft top, Arles Blue body and fenders (possibly two-tone with tan top to match soft top), 11-seat configuration with tan canvas upholstery (but with nice blue stitching and/or piping) to match the soft-top, swinging rear half door, rear mounted spare, heavy duty steel wheels powdercoated Arles Blue, Wolf style roll cage with cross bars, modest stereo, no diamond plate, Tithonus style jerry can cubbys (completely enclosed inside for misc. storage, black rear step tow bumper and standard front bumper.
These specs are nothing special and most of the components you request are bolt on items.
What makes you think such a vehicle needs to be built verses being configured, less the Arles Blue?

I should have not used the term truck. I'm looking for a 3-door wagon. I plan to register it in Oregon.
What is a 3 door wagon?

Do you have first hand experience with SafariHP?
Steven a Safari HP has a good reputation.
Many members here deal with Safari HP routinely for parts, service, and have had them configure/build vehicles.

#12 ·
These specs are nothing special and most of the components you request are bolt on items.
What makes you think such a vehicle needs to be built verses being configured, less the Arles Blue?

Steven a Safari HP has a good reputation.
Many members here deal with Safari HP routinely for parts, service, and have had them configure/build vehicles.

Yes, everything is pretty much bolt on, except the blue. A Tithonus would make a good starting point. I'm kind of particular about not seeing any green in the engine bay or under the chassis, so the body may need to come off if I start with a Tithonus.

SafariHP's build prices look very reasonable, but I need to determine what is included. I sent them an email last night.

------ Follow up post added April 26th, 2017 07:14 AM ------

Opinion Alert! Just my thoughts. Not a builder, but have worked with a US builder in the past (cancelled build, long story), and have another being built in UK by a world renowned shop, Foley's. We have 4 Defenders and daily drive Defenders.

Search is your friend. Look through the old for sale ads and you will see who is building what, and you will get an idea of which builders are solid.

Very specific request, which is good. Start thinking of the little things which can add up to tens of thousand of dollars. Frame off resto? Strip down to bulkhead so paint is same inside engine compartment? RHD or LHD?

What is the truck for? Beach runner at summer house, weekend family cruiser?

Find a Defender nearby, or find a way to visit a forum member, maybe drive the truck and see what three across front seat feels like. 3 adults? Sucks. Have you owned or driven a Defender before? Understand that it needs regular maintenance, and most will leak water in from top and oil out from bottom.

Your description spans ~25K to 120K, depending on what you have done. A Tithonus RHD respray and 200TDI transplant with your custom blue stiched canvas, or a full body off restoration. What is your budget?

Good luck, and welcome to the forum.

Beech runner. It will be used to pile two families into it to make the 1/2 mile journey from the vacation house to the lake, and for me to run the occasional errand into town. I might also use it in the winter to load up a bunch of kids to go skiing (only a 2 mile journey). Not sure how well suited the soft top will be for that though.

#15 · (Edited)
Since you're out west & you want a diesel, you should probably be looking more to Defenders Northwest @ https://www.defendersnorthwest.com/

I think it's fair to say that DNW has a top notch rep here, comparable to Safari's. Owner posts here off & on...

But, the new new thing in diesels may be Uncle Douglas's one-stop, perentie import/perentie LHD conversion if that's something that he's really doing for hire. If so, it gets you a galvanized frame. UD also has a top notch rep here.

#16 ·
You should probably be looking more to Defenders Northwest. I think it's fair to say that DNW has a top notch rep here, comparable to Safari's. Owner posts here off & on...
Agreed DNW is equally reputable.

#22 ·
Have you driven a Defender? I've not driven a 200Tdi, but I understand it's very much like the 300Tdi and I'll arrange for you to drive my 110 if you're interested. (Send a private message.)

I also have a soft top 90 and I was surprised how good it is at keeping wind, rain and snow out. NOT perfect, but good enough I drive my soft top in cold weather.

Mike & Carrie

#27 · (Edited)
Coming from someone already in the statewho just by the skin of his teeth got his truck leagal.

Buy the truck FIRST! then get it titled and registered in the state. THEN build it.

Frankly you will spend a minor abut of money more on shipping but, you will know that anything you spend will be on something you can keep.

I've seen plenty of trucks being bought and then having to be sold, cause it got flagged in the system.

Edit: also if you are near sf/sj. I have a 3 door/2 door soft top with a 200tdi. You are def going to want to drive it before you spend the money. And get a soft top with windows, no windows makes it impossible to make left turns at intersections and on ramps if rhd

#28 ·
Coming from someone already in the statewho just by the skin of his teeth got his truck leagal. Buy the truck FIRST! then get it titled and registered in the state. THEN build it. Frankly you will spend a minor abut of money more on shipping but, you will know that anything you spend will be on something you can keep. I've seen plenty of trucks being bought and then having to be sold, cause it got flagged in the system. Edit: also if you are near sf/sj. I have a 3 door/2 door soft top with a 200tdi. You are def going to want to drive it before you spend the money. And get a soft top with windows, no windows makes it impossible to make left turns at intersections and on ramps if rhd
Totally agree with this^ and suggest you find some other's opinions/experiences doing what you have in mind. Building up an old vehicle requires unbuilding it first and no shop can estimate the money and time it takes and at the end of the day these shops can only live to see another day if they make money. Therefore you get what you pay for more often than not. Nothing's more expensive than a cheap resto.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.