Wanted: Written step by step build up? - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Build-up's, Projects & Registry Profiles > Truck Build-up's & Restores

Old March 2nd, 2014, 03:48 PM
Fearnofish
Chris
85 110 CSW

Wanted: Written step by step build up?

Starting my frame up restoration soon and in addition to about 1200+ photos (and 500 zip lock bags with post-it notes) of my tear down I was thinking that someone might have typed a detailed document for the buildup. When to install the harness, brake lines, fuel lines etc.. I figure Ill follow the pics in reverse order but any guidance would be most helpful. Any 20/20 hindsight stuff is most welcome.
Thanks in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old March 2nd, 2014, 05:16 PM
cgalpin
Charles Galpin
'94 D90 ST, '63 SeriesIIA
Site Team

Registry
My I call you Tom? LOL - love the avatar

I am not aware of one, but it would be great if you created one. The info is all over the forum, but hard as hell to find it all when you want it.
Old March 2nd, 2014, 08:03 PM
Fearnofish
Chris
85 110 CSW

Tom would be one of the nicest things ive been called! Yeah I'm a big magnum pi fan. Just shaved the stash a few weeks ago!

Regarding the build up doc... I'm hoping someone really organized could post one or send one to me. I'll create one out of necessity but I'm sure this will take me a couple years to finish up.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old March 2nd, 2014, 08:57 PM
o2batsea
Bill Adams
66 109 sw 94 lwb

Registry
What are you restoring? A Land Rover? A 90, Series,

1966 109 5 door wagon 300Tdi "spermaceti fueled"
1994 RRC LeWiB "ruining the air behind me"
1968 2A 88

All my troubles are Rover
Old March 2nd, 2014, 09:16 PM
Fearnofish
Chris
85 110 CSW

110 build. I left it out of the original post because I didn't want to exclude anyone. From my perspective i'd like to see whatever anyone had from a series I to a 130. Not to mention I seem to think about it about all the time so having some new reading material would fun. Thanks.

I'd be wiling to compile a build-up doc for the site as I went through them and built up mine.
Old March 2nd, 2014, 09:32 PM
rijosho
Joshua
1995 Black ST - Rhinolined edition
Research Assistant/Eagle Eyes

Registry
I'd probably just go through the truck build up forum here and look for the threads with the greatest number of pages. Chris Vitale had a good one, TDI Guy had a good one, MUDSUX had a good one, etc.
Old March 2nd, 2014, 10:12 PM
Fearnofish
Chris
85 110 CSW

Thanks. I went thru a few of those builds and yeah there good. I may go through again and write it all out.
Old March 2nd, 2014, 10:38 PM
Davis
Chris Davis
94 NAS D90 6.2LS

Like many here, I went through a frame up build. I've never seen a how to step-by-step, but most write ups are in chrono order and we are all here to help. If you tore yours down, it is pretty much reverse order-- and boy did I reference my photos on the build back up! One of my recommendations is on wiring. Take out as many of the plug connectors and either crimp (with correct "professional" crimps) or solder those connections like at the rear lights. Next, figure out all possible accessories (lights, winch, relays and stereo components) and wire them in up front.

But basically, for me, frame, get axles under it, wiring, brakes and fuel lines, then everything seems to go in order.

Also, I regret not galvanizing my frame and bulkhead. I did galvy my bumpers, sliders, crossmember, various parts. Now's the time.
Old March 2nd, 2014, 10:59 PM
Fearnofish
Chris
85 110 CSW

Good advice. Keep it coming guys.

repairing my bulkhead now and taking to galv.
Old March 3rd, 2014, 08:21 AM
o2batsea
Bill Adams
66 109 sw 94 lwb

Registry
The greatest challenge is not the mechanics or the process. That stuff is well documented in the workshop manual. Your success or failure depends on the 3 lbs of meat between your ears.
You will reach a point where you do not want to see another greasy bolt, let alone clean it up. There will be times when you have to go to weddings, dinner parties, shopping excursions, etc. Life happens.
Then there are the unforseen delays, expenses, and Situations Beyond Your Control. If you have family and children, then that plays a huge part.
If you have set sights on a time when you think it will be done, you might as well forget about that right now. Ditto the expense.
What I am trying to point out is that this kind of project can be extremely daunting to one working alone. You must maintain realistic expectations of yourself. You have to maintain motivation.
That does not come in step by step instructions.

1968 2A 88

Old March 3rd, 2014, 09:16 AM
Fearnofish
Chris
85 110 CSW

Wow. thats some good advice too. I could be overly optimistic but am feeling pretty good about the goal.
1. no time limit, just building it with my sons. could take 1 year or 4. no problem.
2. lots a pics of the tear down and all the frozen rusty nasty rounded bolts are gone.
3. staying organized. i love to read. thought that it would be fun to go through what other had organized for themselves as I did the same. Just putting it out there.

I appreciate what people have added to their build threads. I'm going to concentrate on that write something up. I'll make it available to everyone in the end.

Please keep the good build advice coming!
Thanks,
Chris
Old March 3rd, 2014, 10:34 AM
o2batsea
Bill Adams
66 109 sw 94 lwb

Registry
Yawp. Sooner or later it transitions from a fun project to a chore. If taking pictures and writing about it helps get you thru, then go to it.

1968 2A 88

Old March 3rd, 2014, 10:36 AM
Davis
Chris Davis
94 NAS D90 6.2LS

Also, rebuild with a stainless steel bolt kit where it makes sense. Keep in mind that corrosion is a galvanic reaction between dissimilar metals--take a look at a galvanic chart so you know where things stands. If you use stainless bolts on aluminum, for instance (like your floor pans) know that the aluminum with corrode. So if you use stainless on aluminum, maybe put a mylar washer between the bolts and the body...

If you don't have a parts washer, consider getting one. A sandblaster can be handy, but not essential--the parts washer I would say is essential. If you don't have a decent compressor, then go get one right now. I would not even attempt the project without one--it is the #1 most useful tool to have. Also a breaker bar. A good tap and die set, and a screw extractor set. All those are essentials... If a bolt does not go in smoothly, use the tap and die. They all should go in smoothly on any project.
Old March 3rd, 2014, 11:20 AM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

Electric half inch impact is fine in place of a compressor.
Old March 3rd, 2014, 02:15 PM
byrnecc
Conor
1986 ex-mod 110

Registry
Judging by the video I should be able to build myself a few defenders tomorrow.
Old March 3rd, 2014, 03:33 PM
Fearnofish
Chris
85 110 CSW

Ok. That was great. had not seen those before. If your day job gets boring I think you have a future as a pit crewman here at the Indy500.

So you must have had a plan written up or all your parts organized excruciatingly well.

Sincerely, Thanks for posting those.
Old March 3rd, 2014, 03:49 PM
Rocky
Chris
72 + D1 drivetrain

Step by Step buiild up plan
Year 1: Guess I should do it
Year 2: Got some parts..
Year 3: Rolling chassis with body
Year 4: Waiting for parts
Year 5: Finding time to work on it
Year 6: Lets get this thing done.....
Year 7: Sell parts you dont need.

I don't know about the brakes, only their unreliability.
Old March 3rd, 2014, 05:24 PM
chris snell
Chris Snell
87 Ex-MOD 110

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSBriggs View Post
Does that guy even own a torque wrench? It looks like he mounted that motor on the truck with his electric impact wrench and ratchet. LOL

Regarding fasteners, I am using Genuine Parts only when it comes to fasteners that mount the body/tub/bulkhead/wings to the chassis. Brian Hall made a really good argument for this and talked me out of using stainless or plated grade 10 for many things. The engineers that designed these trucks chose fasteners carefully. Some fasteners act like fuses, failing first during a crash to save the chassis from bending. For this reason, I'm using Genuine stuff for everything that's mounted to the chassis. I'll use stainless for things like door hinge bolts and non-safety-critical interior pieces, like my electrical outlet boxes.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
/
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
/
/
/
Old March 3rd, 2014, 05:29 PM
Jymmiejamz
Jimmy
1995 D90 SW #365

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris snell View Post
Does that guy even own a torque wrench? It looks like he mounted that motor on the truck with his electric impact wrench and ratchet. LOL
I don't know of any mechanics that use a torque wrench on bell housing bolts, although I'm sure there are some...
Old March 3rd, 2014, 05:29 PM
Fearnofish
Chris
85 110 CSW

Chris:::: Thats an interesting way of thinking of the fasteners. Who'd you go through to get your fasteners? I feel a bulk order coming on.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Build-up's, Projects & Registry Profiles > Truck Build-up's & Restores

Tags
wanted

« Pike's 90 | 1+1=1 »