VIN/Title Value? - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Build-up's, Projects & Registry Profiles > Truck Build-up's & Restores

Old September 22nd, 2017, 09:57 AM
mgrgpg
Mark
1989 D110

VIN/Title Value?

Not sure if this is the correct heading to place this question under, so please move if I am wrong.

I am looking at doing a full frame up restore. I have seen a few trucks in really rough shape where the frame would most likely need to be replaced and remove the 2.5 engine and replace with 200/300tdi or maybe even go for the LS Swap.

My question is on a project truck where not much will be salvaged on the body, etc - what is the value of having it already tiled in NY or USA?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old September 22nd, 2017, 10:07 AM
sonoronos
Ed
None

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgrgpg View Post
My question is on a project truck where not much will be salvaged on the body, etc - what is the value of having it already tiled in NY or USA?

I think you'll need to explain much more clearly what you are asking. I can't understand if you're asking how much an untitled import is worth (impossible to say) or how much of a price difference having a NY title is vs. an untitled truck in NY, Ceteris paribus (pointless if you're just using it for parts).

In the end, you'll have to have a truck with a valid title, not sure if that is factoring into your equation. You can get there multiple ways.
Old September 22nd, 2017, 10:15 AM
mgrgpg
Mark
1989 D110

Sorry -what I meant is that I have a local D110 that is registered and titled in NY all legitimately. The bulkhead needs to be replaced and I know the frame is in need of attention also. It currently has a 2.5. I would like a 200/300 Tdi truck at least. The body has issues as the doors have rot starting, the interior is original, etc.

So basically if I were to buy this truck the value to me is a clean NY Title and some starting point at the chassis with the axles, etc. I am trying to get a handle on what a project truck with a clean title in NY would potentially be worth with the plans of replacing a significant portion of it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old September 22nd, 2017, 10:21 AM
rdavisinva
Robert Davis
N/A

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgrgpg View Post
Sorry -what I meant is that I have a local D110 that is registered and titled in NY all legitimately. The bulkhead needs to be replaced and I know the frame is in need of attention also. It currently has a 2.5. I would like a 200/300 Tdi truck at least. The body has issues as the doors have rot starting, the interior is original, etc.

So basically if I were to buy this truck the value to me is a clean NY Title and some starting point at the chassis with the axles, etc. I am trying to get a handle on what a project truck with a clean title in NY would potentially be worth with the plans of replacing a significant portion of it.
It depends, but similar vehicles go for $5K minimum to secure an identity for a build.

Uncle "Richard" Douglas has a Land Rover with big wheels that never gets stuck... until he breaks something so it won't go. Uncle Douglas always breaks something. - Anna Crowther at the Conclave 2012 (AKA Carburetor Neck)

"What's with this death wobble, Uncle Douglas, I can't keep it in 1 lane?"
UD: "Just Power through it man!"
Old September 22nd, 2017, 12:42 PM
mgrgpg
Mark
1989 D110

Ok - thanks I was thinking $3-$5K
Old September 22nd, 2017, 01:46 PM
NPT90
JT
D90 óriginalé

Registry
I think $5K might be on the low end...

You have to figure a purchase price of ~$3000-5000USD then RORO ~$2500 documents ~$500 and BS ~$1000.

If you find a non-running scrap heap for ~$1500 you need to deal with a container and transport costs which (IMO) end up running the same as a rolling MOT failure.

$3000 just covers the trans-atlantic voyage, I'd be surprised if you can find a VIN/Title for less than $7500 which is likely cost for someone who had the same idea as you
Old September 22nd, 2017, 02:41 PM
Rocky
Chris
72 + D1 drivetrain

Since you are going to tear it down etc etc, and effectively rebuild it to new, getting it as cheap as you can is valuable but the numbers mentioned are reasonable. Hope you budget (and marriage if applicable) can stand a build......

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Build-up's, Projects & Registry Profiles > Truck Build-up's & Restores

Tags
vin