US bound in a 130 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Build-up's, Projects & Registry Profiles > Truck Build-up's & Restores

Old September 15th, 2014, 03:39 PM
newhue
Jason
1994 Tdi 130, 2010 Tdci 130

US bound in a 130

Hi, name is Jason. Thought I'd introduce myself and meet you guys as I hope you are part or can help with the plan. I have a 94 Tdi 130, it has 300K on it. I know that's a bit but all my mates have 300 to 400 on their Tdi's, even have met a couple with a 1 000 000Km, so mine has just loosened up.

My plan is to pull it apart, replace the foot wells, re rubber, seal, and bush it. Timing belt, water pump, head gaskets, radiator and so on as to make it expedition reliable for 6 months worth of touring around the back country of western USA. Then hopefully sell it to help cover the costs of the trip.
When it enters the US it will be 24.5 years old, so I'll require a Carnett I guess. But at the end of the trip it will be properly aged and the newest 130 in the States perhaps. Any info on the traps or smooth sailing with this process would be appreciated.

It's early days and a long term plan, having a family time and cash is not abundant. The trip also co insides with my daughter's junior to senior schooling. Just thought I's drop a line, say hello and introduce myself.

Better get some pics up here I guess.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old September 15th, 2014, 03:42 PM
phoenix37
john
97 D90 ST / 1957 S1 109/ 1983 LS110

Registry
Welcome. So this is a trip you are planning to do 5 years from now?
Old September 15th, 2014, 03:46 PM
newhue
Jason

Yes, as mentioned long was off, but also perhaps needed.
If I'm going to pull this thing apart I might even make it left hand drive. Just a thought. It currently has an alloy tray but I figure a LR tub tray would appeal more. This all takes time and money.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old September 15th, 2014, 03:46 PM
rijosho
Joshua
1995 Black ST - Rhinolined edition
Research Assistant/Eagle Eyes

Registry
I suggest you further read up on how to properly import a vehicle into the US. Having a vehicle enter the US on a bond is totally different than importing a vehicle with a registered importer and being able to have the vehicle registered/titled in the US. The bond should require the vehicle to leave the country before any prospective buyer can have the vehicle re-enter the US via import and then registered/titled.
Old September 15th, 2014, 03:49 PM
NPT90
JT
D90 óriginalé

Registry
Also the truck needs to be original spec, you can't convert the engine or the driver side.

That said you could easily sell it into canada which only requires a 15 year exemption
Old September 15th, 2014, 03:54 PM
newhue
Jason

Quote:
Originally Posted by rijosho View Post
I suggest you further read up on how to properly import a vehicle into the US. Having a vehicle enter the US on a bond is totally different than importing a vehicle with a registered importer and being able to have the vehicle registered/titled in the US. The bond should require the vehicle to leave the country before any prospective buyer can have the vehicle re-enter the US via import and then registered/titled.
Thanks, this is also part of the trip, working out how it can be done. It was suggested to me go to Canada for a bit. Not sure how that process works just yet but the destination is certainly on out trip itinerary.
Old March 19th, 2015, 07:21 AM
newhue
Jason

Hi all, I am seeking some honest opinions as to weather I would realistically get what I would like for this 130 I have.

I have a few obstacles to overcome, one is trying to import it while using it for 6 months on holidays is not going to be easy. But I am confident I can work that one out and perhaps the least of my concerns.

My other is weather I would get 50 to 60K for a 1994 Tdi300 RHD with 320K km on it. Now Ive noticed you guys like your trucks with no milage on them. In the UK they might drive them down the lane and back, hardly warming up before shutting them down. But down here we like to drive in a line for 8 hours, then get up and do it again the next day. So lots of long warm running is normal, and 300 on a 20yo truck is average for Aus.

I was pleasantly rewarded last month when I moved house. The Tdi had sat for 12 months in the shed. I borrowed the wife's little rice burner battery and the ol Tdi started the very instant I turned the key. I was surprised, and it made me happy. It idled as it should and only blew the traditional start up puff of smoke.

No I have some ARB lockers to drop in, and was going to re bearing and re seal each diff. Add some hi tuff axels, hi tuff flanges and float it all in oil. New brakes and rotors all round and re bush the suspension with super-pro. Add some Koni's and probably King coils. I have a Thomas 9000Lb PTO winch which will pull trees all day long, don't ask how I know this. I have an ARB 120lt long range tank in it already. And was going to do some pretty nifty use of space externally and internally without upsetting the look of the truck. An expedition truck can never have too much storage space me thinks. And it will have a spare on the bonnet just to be authentic. It will have at least 60t of water on board with just plain old simple gravity as the means of delivery. I'll repaint the bog-less body in 2 pack, and put some Puma Tdci doors on it. But not after removing the body off the chassis, sand blasting it, and then paint it in a appropriate two pack. Galvanising is too hard with US authorities. It has no rust in the firewall around the vents or A pillars, and minimal but enough to warrant new footwells while it's all apart. On the engine I'll replace all the water hoses, put an electric fuel pump, redo timing belt and water pump of course. Welsh plugs redone, probably the big end, and have the head inspected for any issues. Get some silicone hoses, and look at the best air flow into the donk as possible. Little things like the rubbers that mount the air cleaner won't go un-noticed either, don't need that thing coming alive under the hood. The radiator has already been flushed and pressure tested, then re filled with new coolant while it's been sitting dormant. It will have new air-conditioning, a new clutch, slave and probably master. It will have a 65mm exhaust fitted and probably the fuel pump tweaked, however not sure on the tweak just yet. I'm also keen on getting the gear box and transfer overhauled, dropping in a 20% reduction gear on 1st, and re sleeve the output shaft with a metal seat on the tranny. New door rubbers, steering wheel, and bum cushions on the front seat. I have a 110 cloth interior for it so it's a little nicer than vinyl. Traxide head light upgrade, and a low water alarm. It will have an alloy tray so can take a slide on camper, but for my needs will probably have some alloy framed/canvas sided canopy on. There'll be room for another spare under the tray, and anything else the width of a 255 wheel and 1800 long you with to carry. It will be dust and water proof. Under the tray that is. The cab will still suffer some of LR's engineering failures. I guess there will be more detailing in there i'm sure like check the power steering, universals and so on, but for now that's most of it. Oh chassis and engine match from the day of manufacturer.

Why? Well I need 50K or so for my trip to come together. And I cant sell a Defender for that much if it's a pile, or some BS sepo rebuild. I also cant stand the idea of having a car let me down or not up to the job on probably one of my families biggest and best holidays. I plan to test run it 6 months before leaving so I have no issues whilst taking in the best of USA's back country. Thing is, is that money possible, very possible, or not a chance. Is it missing something?
If I cant get that money for it than I'll probably just part it out here. I can chuck the money in the trip kitty and keep saving. Then do something crazy like buy a boring GM Suburban to tour in; and leave it in the airport car park when we go.

Be honest, I am happy to do the work, just there is a lot of it if its not possible.
Old March 19th, 2015, 08:00 AM
phoenix37
john
97 D90 ST / 1957 S1 109/ 1983 LS110

Registry
still planning to do this 5 years from now? If so who is to say what the value of the truck will be by then?
Old March 19th, 2015, 08:04 AM
newhue
Jason

fair point, summer 2019 was planned arrival. Have to admit if JLR ever do another Defender, and it make its way to the US my plan is stuffed.
Old March 19th, 2015, 08:16 AM
rdavisinva
Robert Davis
N/A

If this is a future plan, it will be impossible to tell where the market will be in 5 years.
I do know that some dealers in UK and other parts of Europe are filling up warehouse space with as many new Pumas as they can afford to stash away banking that the value will double or triple in 2 - 5 years.
After all they do go out-of-production this year.

Uncle "Richard" Douglas has a Land Rover with big wheels that never gets stuck... until he breaks something so it won't go. Uncle Douglas always breaks something. - Anna Crowther at the Conclave 2012 (AKA Carburetor Neck)

"What's with this death wobble, Uncle Douglas, I can't keep it in 1 lane?"
UD: "Just Power through it man!"
Old March 19th, 2015, 08:23 AM
BlackField
Oscar
D110

I think your plan is stuffed already. You are trying to figure out if 5 years from now your RHD 130 with 250k miles is going to be worth 50-60k USD? Who knows.

Who knows what will be the 2019 import laws and their application (the application of the current laws has changed in just the past 3 years that I have been concerned with them).

Your 130 will be competing with all the LHD 130s from Europe with, as you mentioned, far less miles.

Put all this money you plan on spending into a five year bond, you'll likely make out better.
Old March 19th, 2015, 08:42 AM
o2batsea
Bill Adams
66 109 sw 94 lwb

Registry
Write a little app for iPhones that everyone HAS to have, then you can do whatever you want

1966 109 5 door wagon 300Tdi "spermaceti fueled"
1994 RRC LeWiB "ruining the air behind me"
1968 2A 88

All my troubles are Rover
Old March 19th, 2015, 09:14 AM
Rocky
Chris
72 + D1 drivetrain

Nice plan, BUT....

Who knows what CBP will be doing in a few years time to Land Rovers.
Or how many states will start to follow California's anti diesel campaign and stopping people from owning diesels.

Importing a vehicle on a temporary basis is very different to permanent. Quite how CBP would react if you tried to convert a temporary basis to permanent is unknown, especially if you had to bond the truck. I suspect it would create red flags all over the place.

If you were about to bring a 24.5 year old vehicle in today, I would say wait six months until it clears the 25 year barrier, then import on a permanent basis, title it in a diesel friendly state and drive around the country. then sell with clean title in hand.

I don't know about the brakes, only their unreliability.
Old March 19th, 2015, 02:57 PM
newhue
Jason

Beauty, thanks boys. Thats what i need to hear. Ill spend the hours at work instead of in the shed.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Build-up's, Projects & Registry Profiles > Truck Build-up's & Restores

Tags