Unwanted/Needed Restoration Project - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Build-up's, Projects & Registry Profiles > Truck Build-up's & Restores

Join the Defender Source Community Today

Old August 26th, 2015, 03:30 PM
RickM
Rick Mabus
95 D-90 ST

Unwanted/Needed Restoration Project

Hello all. I am new to this area of the forum, but not new to the forums. I have some specific questions but I might introduce my truck if that is ok. I purchased a yellow 95 d-90 in 2001. It was my daily driver for the longest time. Then it sat for a really long time, then I drove it again for a short time, and about a year ago I pulled it into the garage for the pretty days. Anyway, I found that as a daily driver it was one dependable beast. As a garage queen it sure does give me more trouble. I will post pics soon, and will post pics as time goes on with this, but recently I started to notice some paint damage, and I had leaks under the hood. So it started, and this is what has been done.

1. Newly painted front end
2. New top
3. New wheels and tires.
4. Winch Bumper/Winch
5. Onboard air
6. Front end bushings (I think all of them)
7. Fuel pump/Regularly known parts to fail/routine maintenance.

Things plan to address.
1. Steering Box
2. Steering link.
3. Interior plastic/Rubber.

So here are some questions. My dash and door panels are failing. I actually am simply planning to replace all the rubber on the floor and whatnot with stuff from Rovers North, like the trans tunnel etc. I think the dash parts should be fairly reasonable also, but the door cards. Wholly Crap. Those are expensive for what they are. I was thinking about making my own. Anyone have any experience taking some sheet aluminum or something like that and making a pair of door cards. This should also allow for some more speaker room!! Lastly I also have noticed my upper cable for my speedo is gone. Rumor has it those are hard to find. Anyone have a fix for this?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old August 26th, 2015, 08:10 PM
Landy_Andy
Andy
1999 D2, 1985 D90 truggy & 1951 S1

A good option for the doors.... and interior panels in general are those from LaSalle Trim

Door Trims :: LaSalle Trim

Not sure who imports those or if you need to go direct, am sure one of the other guys will know.
Advertisement

Old August 26th, 2015, 08:28 PM
nathanwind
Jason Lavender
88-90-127-LR3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Upper dash pad is still available from Land Rover (genuine), I had mine shipped to my door direct for ~$210 from landrovermerriamparts.com

I had/have plans to do updated ST door cards out of aluminum available to the masses, but admittedly that is probably still a bit down the road .
'94 90 NAS #324
'06 LR3 HSE

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

(10% discount for DSource members, use coupon code "D90")

Old August 26th, 2015, 09:16 PM
Ignotus
gene
1960 109, w/200TDI

There are other suppliers than RN. Goooooooooooooooooooogle is your friend. I like to use this UK based search engine; Land Rover Workshop

There was a recent thread on making/buying Defender door cards.
Blog;
Old August 31st, 2015, 12:40 PM
RickM
Rick Mabus
95 D-90 ST

So this weekend, I did the steering box swap, and also did the Ujoint swap on the steering shaft. The trucks drives like a dream now. I am more motivated than ever to get this thing cleaned up and presentable. Nathanwind. I just used your group to actually order all my dash components to start that project. My speedo is not working right now, so this needs to get done for that reason alone.

Here are some pics of my rig.

Old September 11th, 2015, 10:11 AM
RickM
Rick Mabus
95 D-90 ST

Landrovermarriam is no longer able to get a lot of the parts for this stuff. They also are not the best at the customer service game.

That said, I am back to square one on the dash parts. I will see what I can come up with.
Old September 11th, 2015, 10:21 AM
rijosho
Joshua
1995 Black ST - Rhinolined edition
Research Assistant/Eagle Eyes

Registry
SafariHP also has the dash parts you're looking for I believe.
Old September 11th, 2015, 10:24 AM
nathanwind
Jason Lavender
88-90-127-LR3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickM View Post
Landrovermarriam is no longer able to get a lot of the parts for this stuff. They also are not the best at the customer service game.

That said, I am back to square one on the dash parts. I will see what I can come up with.
Whoa...that's a bummer. Did they have the top dash pad? I ordered that from them just a couple months ago when I swapped it to the newer style and had no issues at all (and their price was hard to beat).

But yes, check with Bryce or Stephen @ SafariHP as Josh mentioned - good folks.
'94 90 NAS #324
'06 LR3 HSE

(10% discount for DSource members, use coupon code "D90")

Old September 15th, 2015, 11:51 AM
RickM
Rick Mabus
95 D-90 ST

As usual you guys have come up big for me. I talked to the guys at SafariHP and I have parts on the way. I did not realize that they made an instrument cowl out of alloy. Mine was broken when I got this truck in 2001 so this will be a perfect upgrade. I also ordered the other dash parts to boot. Door Cards are on the way. I am going to try and tackle all of this carefully while attempting to not damage my speedo cable connection any more.
Old October 8th, 2015, 03:20 PM
RickM
Rick Mabus
95 D-90 ST

No real progress to report, but I have gotten a bunch of parts in to start this project off. One thing I did order were the door cards from IG4x4. I may have some fitment issues but I a going to get started and see where things go.
Old January 8th, 2016, 11:50 AM
RickM
Rick Mabus
95 D-90 ST

Has anyone ever used Dynomat as an insulation barrier, and then put down a roll down bedliner over it? My though is that the Dynomat may act as a heat barrier, and then also act as a bit of a helper to not have the bed liner be so permanent.
Old January 12th, 2016, 11:48 PM
sonoronos
Ed
None

It sounds like a waste of a lot of money to me.
Old January 13th, 2016, 04:53 AM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

The three piece rubber mat set that is sold is great. Use that. As is the TD5 style seat box cover (if you can find one). No need to go with dynamat and bedliner. Not a fan.
Advertisement

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Build-up's, Projects & Registry Profiles > Truck Build-up's & Restores

Tags
restoration, wanted