Time to bite the bullet - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Build-up's, Projects & Registry Profiles > Truck Build-up's & Restores

Old March 2nd, 2011, 09:51 PM
atpick
Andy
1990 110

Registry
Time to bite the bullet

Is it possible to be relieved that your truck didn't sell? Well I am. Time to bite the bullet and starting restoring this bad boy. The great news for you guys? I don't have a friggin clue what I'm doing. Should be a great chance for you dudes to hopefully give me some advice and probably laugh at me as well. Luckily, there are some motorheads in my Squadron that are more than willing to help. First problem is I'm out the door next week for 2 months for some training at Little Rock, AFB. While I'm gone I'm going to have new suspension put in. I'm looking to get rid of the huge lift and make it more stock. Any recommendations? I was thinking of Bilstein shocks and Genuine Land Rover springs or a Terra Firma set....thoughts? After that I need to get rid of this death trap propane tank in the back. Any thoughts on the complexity of removing this entire LPG system. Will someone persuade me to keep it? Was wondering about the possibility of just removing the tank, which is quite simple, and never move the switch from normal gas mode. However, after suspension I was thinking of putting in an edelbrock carb and intake in which case the extra pieces which bolt onto the stock carb along with the evaporator etc. will need to be removed unless there is something that can bolt onto the edelbrock carb. The only thing really wrong with the truck is over the past couple of weeks it has started pulling to the left on hard acceleration and pulling to the right on strong deceleration....any thoughts on that...alignment, bushings? That's enough rambling for now.
Vehicle:
1984 Land Rover Defender 110 SW

Whats' Been done:
-New clutch, new water pump, new door tops, tranny rebuilt, lowered 3 inches, NATO wheels/new tires

To do:
Suspension/bushings
remove BBQ unit (LPG)
carb/intake
rewire lights (not currently working)

Cheers,
Andy
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	defendernm.jpg
Views:	312
Size:	38.1 KB
ID:	36360  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old March 2nd, 2011, 10:20 PM
Stormer
JP
2008 RRSC

Registry
Andy,

Best of luck with the restoration and training. You'll have a lot to enjoy when you return.
Old March 2nd, 2011, 10:26 PM
hillstrubl
Danny
2005 Disco 3

honestly, even if you rarely use it. Keep the LPG...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old March 2nd, 2011, 10:39 PM
atpick
Andy
1990 110

Registry
OK, so far LPG=1.5, rip it out = 0....I'm only giving it a half a point.
Old March 2nd, 2011, 11:11 PM
cgalpin
Charles Galpin
'94 D90 ST, '63 SeriesIIA
Site Team

Registry
I'd keep the LPG. I assume it's safe since they use them in the UK and they get all batty about lifts and such being unsafe.

I'd also do the suspension myself. Save some money and get to know your honey.
Old March 3rd, 2011, 01:19 PM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

Ditch the LPG. Seems like a waste of space and weight.

Genuine springs and bilsteins are my choice.
Old March 3rd, 2011, 01:30 PM
Lucasd2002
David Lucas
[VACANT]

Off the top of my head, I would:
-dump the LPG (free up the extra space/weight) [*edit: dammit Ron, you're inside my brain!]
-remove all diamond plate
-lose the rack
-paint the roof white (if it already isn't - I can't see your pictures b/c photobucket is blocked at work)
-paint the flares flat black
-replace the springs/shock with old man emu
-replace the wheels with OEM steel wheels
-rewire anything you can if the wires look original or tired
-convert to LHD
-think about a diesel conversion
Old March 3rd, 2011, 03:22 PM
o2batsea
Bill Adams
66 109 sw 94 lwb

Registry
Put a small block in there.

1966 109 5 door wagon 300Tdi "spermaceti fueled"
1994 RRC LeWiB "ruining the air behind me"
1968 2A 88

All my troubles are Rover
Old March 3rd, 2011, 04:24 PM
EWR
Carey
1954 CJ-3B

Quote:
Originally Posted by o2batsea View Post
Put a small block in there.

FYI: this is a Land Rover forum, I'm sure if you do a search on google, or whatever search engine you prefer, you can find the "Bitchin Camaro" forum somewhere.....
Old March 4th, 2011, 05:02 PM
Ren Ching
Skinny Pete
'84 90 "Yamelo"/'88 RRC "Chewbacca"

Registry
LOL...it will be a fun game to take bets on how long any particular thread can go on before Bill chime in and suggests the use of some american v8, and the LT95 to r380 adapter

Bill, just because you have a barn full of extra V8s doesn't mean everyone else does. Not to mention your only working truck is the one with the british engine in it. Even you wanted to do a 300tdi until you gave up and decided to use the leftover lumps from your abandoned jetboat project.

FWIW you guys take Bill too seriously...he's a good egg with big dreams, and a long time friend. Personally, I value my time spent IN my vehicles more than my time spent UNDER them. I've done quite a few long term rebuilds and projects but somewhere along the line I realized I was better off getting something that already worked. I guess if I had a ton of space then there would be more room in my life for project vehicles.

I know of a number of folks in the LR scene with driveways occupied by projects that will never work, that show up to LR events in their daily driver cars just to park in the field and socialize. Fine if that is your thing but why waste irreplaceable years of your life pretending you are going to build or fix something when you can now get a perfectly good, running and stopping Defender for fairly short money, and then modify it as you go and have fun at the same time. I guess it depends on what you want. If you have to have the drivetrain from a potato chip truck and 40" tires, then I guess that route is not really available to you, so be it.

Life is too short.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EWR View Post
FYI: this is a Land Rover forum, I'm sure if you do a search on google, or whatever search engine you prefer, you can find the "Bitchin Camaro" forum somewhere.....
Old March 5th, 2011, 07:56 PM
seaswood
Craig
Diesel

Registry
I am 4+ years with maybe some good experience finding out what I could not see when I bought a truck with lots of work to do.
I will get it done eventually, probably should of bought a working rig.
I bought a project.
Good Luck.
Old March 6th, 2011, 03:26 PM
mgreenspan
Matthew Greenspan
Land Rovers

Registry
I'd get a 4.2 or 4.6 and an auto box and switch from carb'd to EFI. Keep the old V8 and lpg on a pallet in storage and just move around with it(they will move it for you, I've had plenty of car parts moved as household goods, just make it easy for them). You can always re-install it if gas prices skyrocket and LPG becomes common in the States or you can hock in on the corner to the local alternative fuel nutter.

Try to do as much as you can on base, it'll save you the torture and headaches you get from working on the truck in your driveway. But these trucks are easy to work on. Found these youtubes today... proof it's that easy(when there's no rust or loctite all over the place).

You little rebel, I like you.
Old March 6th, 2011, 07:24 PM
cgalpin
Charles Galpin
'94 D90 ST, '63 SeriesIIA
Site Team

Registry
Wow, those time lapse videos are impressive!
Old March 6th, 2011, 07:43 PM
atpick
Andy
1990 110

Registry
Thanks for all the inputs so far. I think I have decided to keep the LPG for now. I don't really have the time or money for an engine swap at the moment. Any other votes on suspension, I'm ordering this week. Seems most favor OME.
Old March 6th, 2011, 07:52 PM
seaswood
Craig
Diesel

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by atpick View Post
Thanks for all the inputs so far. I think I have decided to keep the LPG for now. I don't really have the time or money for an engine swap at the moment. Any other votes on suspension, I'm ordering this week. Seems most favor OME.
The suspension bits you can do just be sure to get good advice, I nearly got ahead of my self one day.
Fortunately the nut was frozen or the truck could of dropped. Heck all the nuts were frozen I actually reused springs not sure where I wanted the height, but if you have figured that out all the betta.
Old March 18th, 2011, 11:16 PM
albrechtmj
Mike Albrecht
None now (grrr)

Nice!

Andy- Good luck with the build!
Old June 13th, 2011, 12:34 PM
atpick
Andy
1990 110

Registry
Ok, finally got my new shocks and springs in. Went with genuine springs and bilstein HD shocks. Have just a few weeks to get them installed. Gonna put them on with some help at the hobby shop on base. Are there any other parts I need or should this pretty much be a bolt off/on deal? I also bought some poly bushing for the front and back just in case but it looks like the shocks came with new bushings. Just want some advice to make sure I have everything I need.
Old June 13th, 2011, 01:26 PM
bjf
barry f
94 ST #395

What are bilstein HD shocks?
Old June 13th, 2011, 03:09 PM
ArmyRover
Bill Ski
83 110 "Frankenstein"

If you decide to ditch the LPG set up let me know I would be interested in it.

Unknown Author

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
716-898-8153
Old June 13th, 2011, 03:10 PM
leastonce
Jason England
D-90 White 95 SW #65
Site Team

Registry
<sarcasm>

With the steady decline in gas prices, having an option to fill up with a cheaper fuel and extend the range of your truck seems pointless!

</sarcasm>

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Build-up's, Projects & Registry Profiles > Truck Build-up's & Restores