The end is near - Page 8 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Build-up's, Projects & Registry Profiles > Truck Build-up's & Restores

Old January 1st, 2005, 12:35 PM
mikeslandrover
Mike Hammond
110 200Tdi and a 2005 Scorpa SY250

Registry
Ah... they're never really finished completely. Just done enough to gey you on the road then the modifying starts all over again
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old January 6th, 2005, 11:01 PM
Buckon37s
Buck
Re-Fendered 90

Hey!

I got it back and it is soooo close to finished. Cage is painted and winch is installed. I have to install the front clip so I am going to wait untill it is all done for a full pic. Take a look at the skid plate! 1/4 reinforced aluminum. I modified the crossmember so it can lay flat. The rear axle brake only hung 1/4 of an inch below the the tray but I decided to drop that portion anout 3/4 of an inch so that the aluminum could flex hard when hit and not rest on the drum.

I think I did a pretty good job patching the holes in the rear door. Just a couple coats of clearcoat away from being done. The last is the steering stabilizer and the 3/8in skid on the axle. mmm, beefy. Sooo close, I can taste it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010278.JPG
Views:	176
Size:	72.5 KB
ID:	2248   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010279.JPG
Views:	191
Size:	72.7 KB
ID:	2249  

Name:	P1010281.JPG
Views:	192
Size:	56.4 KB
ID:	2250   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010282.JPG
Views:	189
Size:	69.7 KB
ID:	2251  

BUCK Wild Racing
Driver: Me
Co-driver: Pat Quirk
Team 911

Rover Tracks
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
PSC
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
DJ Safety
West Coast Rovers
Reel Driveline
Made it further than half of the other guys, but the Hammers won.
Old January 7th, 2005, 07:50 AM
Mike Hippert
D-90Slut/Stalker,SNLPres
94 D-90 Grinding Rover

WOW the door looks great! But I want a pic of it high centered on a rock sitting on the skid plate, it needs to be tested before approval.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old January 7th, 2005, 08:32 AM
rover4x4
Phillip
1995 SW #487/500

Registry
what kinda steerin stabilizer is that??
Old January 7th, 2005, 12:21 PM
Buckon37s
Buck
Re-Fendered 90

Quote:
Originally Posted by rover4x4
what kinda steerin stabilizer is that??
Special Hi-Tech NAPA brand Don't worry on the war pics. I am running a few "body damage unavoidable" trails next saturday. I'll see what she can do.

BUCK Wild Racing
Team 911

Rover Tracks
PSC
DJ Safety
West Coast Rovers
Reel Driveline
Old January 8th, 2005, 06:49 AM
mikeslandrover
Mike Hammond

Registry
David,
That skid plate round the gearbox.....
Be very careful, apparently Southdown used to sell a similar style skid plate but the lack of air flow around the gearbox caused premature failure due to overheating. Very premature failure..... they withdrew it from sale after having to pay for a number of gearbox replacements from what I heard. Their skid plate is now longitudinal bars which allows plenty of airflow around the gearbox.
Monitor that gearbox running temperature carefully.
Old January 8th, 2005, 12:19 PM
Buckon37s
Buck
Re-Fendered 90

Thats really good to know, I never thought of that. 2 questions then, was the Southdown one aluminum? And, how do you monitor the temperature, is there a way without a tranny temp guage, which I don't have.

BUCK Wild Racing
Team 911

Rover Tracks
PSC
DJ Safety
West Coast Rovers
Reel Driveline
Old January 9th, 2005, 06:34 PM
Buckon37s
Buck
Re-Fendered 90

Done!

Well,

Lights are installed, almost all painting is done. Just a wipedown left but she is done. I get to do nothing but play now! The one up close pic of the front quarter panel is to show the 1/4in angle iron that I attached to the frame and then reinfoced with tubing and bolted to the front end. It should keep that front portion straight, then I painted to match, you have a hard time even telling that it's there. The last pic is of the winch slid behind the grill. It fits up in there pretty well. Now I have to go clean my garage!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	P1010285.JPG
Views:	257
Size:	68.4 KB
ID:	2262   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010287.JPG
Views:	223
Size:	73.6 KB
ID:	2263  

Name:	P1010290.JPG
Views:	223
Size:	72.0 KB
ID:	2264   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010289.JPG
Views:	205
Size:	69.7 KB
ID:	2265  

Name:	P1010291.JPG
Views:	210
Size:	73.2 KB
ID:	2266  

BUCK Wild Racing
Team 911

Rover Tracks
PSC
DJ Safety
West Coast Rovers
Reel Driveline
Old January 9th, 2005, 07:13 PM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
I'm almost done too, I thought I'd save some time by not cocooning my 90 in tubular steel
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Almost Done.jpg
Views:	198
Size:	38.1 KB
ID:	2267  
Old January 9th, 2005, 08:43 PM
Buckon37s
Buck
Re-Fendered 90

What are you doing to that Jim?

BUCK Wild Racing
Team 911

Rover Tracks
PSC
DJ Safety
West Coast Rovers
Reel Driveline
Old January 9th, 2005, 11:42 PM
chrisvonc
Chris von C
No Defender at this time

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeslandrover
Well I'm flabbergasted... a shop too!
How long have I been visiting this site?
LOL.. there actually 2 stores. The stickers have always been availible since before I took over the site.

Follow-up Post:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckon37s
I get my truck back in 2 days! I can't wait to show off the super fly, super secret, neeto piece. BTW, I still don't have any D-90 stickers.
I'm sorry, I just saw this post, when did you order them? I'll look for the email.

Follow-up Post:

LOL.. nevermind, I just noticed how old those posts were I replied to.

Please email one of the current MODs if you need assistance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lriwater: As you know, most wives don't like Series trucks due to the ride and lack of creature comforts. Girlfriends seem to like those, but some sort of magic happens during the wedding ceremony.
[/size]
Old January 10th, 2005, 07:23 AM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
Quote:
What are you doing to that Jim?
I tore apart my 95 NAS and rebuilt it on a galvanized 300Tdi chassis.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	No Front.jpg
Views:	211
Size:	49.7 KB
ID:	2273   Click image for larger version

Name:	Naked Chassis.jpg
Views:	231
Size:	34.8 KB
ID:	2274  

Attached Images

Old January 10th, 2005, 11:53 AM
Buckon37s
Buck
Re-Fendered 90

Cool! Are you modifying too?

BUCK Wild Racing
Team 911

Rover Tracks
PSC
DJ Safety
West Coast Rovers
Reel Driveline
Old January 10th, 2005, 12:02 PM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
I'm not doing any extreme mods like most of you guys that build up your trucks (no SG stuff, no sliders etc), but I am doing a lot of little "reliability" type mods - I've added-

Stainless brake/fuel lines
Dual fuel tanks
Braided stainless brake, clutch, fuel, oil hoses
Plenty of stainless hardware
Galvy chassis
Slickrock skid plate
and more stuff like that

I like driving the defender daily (actually its my wife's) but I considered the fuel mileage on the V8 intolerable. I also wanted to build a "totally mechanical" Defender for the maximum reliability and fixability. The most extreme off-roading I do is what the Brits call Greenlaning - crusing around range roads on base, unpaved mountain roads, etc. There arent any boulders to bash around here anyway.
Old January 10th, 2005, 02:00 PM
mikeslandrover
Mike Hammond

Registry
Quote:
Thats really good to know, I never thought of that. 2 questions then, was the Southdown one aluminum? And, how do you monitor the temperature, is there a way without a tranny temp guage, which I don't have.
Don't know what the skid plate was made from, it was the lack of air flow that killed the gear boxes due to overheating.
How hot is too hot? Don't really know that either. I had the oil hot enough to burn skin in the Sahara last summer, high 40c outside air temp, killed the GKN overdrive but the gearbox was fine (I don't run any kind of skid plate)
I'd like to find out if there's any was to run some kind of oil cooler for the gearbox. It does have a pump and filter afterall. That should cure the running bloody hot issues in high ambient temp climates and reduce the cab temps somewhat..

Finished.
I thought I'd finished untill last Saturday afternoon when I pressure washed the underside of the 90. It was then that the reason for the vague steering became apparant. The truck has eaten almost every suspension bush on the front axle
Gives a whole new meaning to fully independant front suspension the axle is virtually independqant of the rest of the truck!
Still nothing that a few hours with the spanners and fly press can't sort out
Then I pressure washed a hole straight through the bulkhead that 'll be some welding to do after the wind screen has been removed.
As if that wasn't enough I then went on to pressure wash the Discovery 1 we treated ourselves to just before Christmas and ...yep.... a hole in the chassis under the road dirt opened up before my eyes.
Missed that on my inspection before buying> Oh and the rear shocks had seen better days. No point putting them back on after pulling them off for the welding on the chassis so add them to the shopping list too.
AND the heater blower motor on the 110 now needs to be switched on followed by a hefty blow to the heater box to make the motor spin.
I'm off to the garage.....I may be gone some while.

Follow-up Post:

Thats the problem with owning more than 1 rover if the first one develops a problem you move on to the second ...and so on 'till you run out of trucks and have a whole shed load of maintenance to do
Old January 10th, 2005, 02:25 PM
Buckon37s
Buck
Re-Fendered 90

I know you can run a oil cooler on a manual. There is a kit from Summit that you can use. Not too tough. Maybe I will look into it. As to mine, I looked out there and with the 4in lift, there is at least an easy line of site from the front over the plate and through to the back for the wind to pass. I am betting I am okay with that cooling. I hope I am betting correctly!

And Jim,

Looks like a fun project. At least stick some aggressive tires on there.

BUCK Wild Racing
Team 911

Rover Tracks
PSC
DJ Safety
West Coast Rovers
Reel Driveline
Old January 10th, 2005, 05:56 PM
mikeslandrover
Mike Hammond

Registry
Maybe run for a good few miles with the plate off and then the same route with the plate on and see if there's much of a temp difference
Old January 10th, 2005, 06:16 PM
Buckon37s
Buck
Re-Fendered 90

Or, I was thinking keep the plate on, and if the T-case burns up I will know what did it. hehe

BUCK Wild Racing
Team 911

Rover Tracks
PSC
DJ Safety
West Coast Rovers
Reel Driveline

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Build-up's, Projects & Registry Profiles > Truck Build-up's & Restores

« - | It's alive! »