The end is near - Page 5 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Build-up's, Projects & Registry Profiles > Truck Build-up's & Restores

Old November 23rd, 2004, 05:25 PM
Buckon37s
Buck
Re-Fendered 90

Yeah, except at that price they really should give away Vaseline with every purchase. I am looking at other options that don't hurt so bad. I found one that is amazing, but is also spendy, $600, about the same as allard but more CFM, but there is one other option that might give me all the intercooler I could ever use and then some, for around $200

BUCK Wild Racing
Driver: Me
Co-driver: Pat Quirk
Team 911

Rover Tracks
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
PSC
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
DJ Safety
West Coast Rovers
Reel Driveline
Made it further than half of the other guys, but the Hammers won.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old November 23rd, 2004, 06:26 PM
TDI Guy
Randy
2015 LR4
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
You better give up more info when you sort it out damit...
Old November 23rd, 2004, 07:17 PM
Buckon37s
Buck
Re-Fendered 90

Threatened by a cop! My civil rights have clearly been violated!! I will have pics and all that when, if, this all works out. BTW, just went over all the details on the steering system, 1 3/8in DOM baby, yeah.

BUCK Wild Racing
Team 911

Rover Tracks
PSC
DJ Safety
West Coast Rovers
Reel Driveline
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old November 23rd, 2004, 08:24 PM
TDI Guy
Randy
2015 LR4
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Jeeze.... I'm sorry if I was too pushy.. The truck looks great. Wait till you see the pics of my tire carrier in a week
Old November 23rd, 2004, 08:45 PM
Buckon37s
Buck
Re-Fendered 90

Hey, lets not beat around the bush, can it hold 1000 pounds? I can't wait to see it. The truck looks awesome, I wish I had gone with that color!

BUCK Wild Racing
Team 911

Rover Tracks
PSC
DJ Safety
West Coast Rovers
Reel Driveline
Old November 24th, 2004, 07:51 AM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckon37s
=The truck looks awesome, I wish I had gone with that color!
You cant just mask off the roll cage and repaint?
Old November 24th, 2004, 07:27 PM
Buckon37s
Buck
Re-Fendered 90

I'll have you know that the entire cage can be removed in 30min, no masking needed! But, repainting is time consuming and expensive. Plus, then I would just screw it up again.

BUCK Wild Racing
Team 911

Rover Tracks
PSC
DJ Safety
West Coast Rovers
Reel Driveline
Old November 25th, 2004, 07:48 AM
TDI Guy
Randy
2015 LR4
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Thats cool you can remove the cage that quick.. Why dont you just spray can it with a real good primer then semi black. Then its easy to touch up. As for mire tire carrier. IT is HD and can carry up to a 40" rubber. I will have pics for you soon. I don't know about the 1000lbs though. lol.

David, I would check out www.eastwood.com and pick up there rust inhibiting primer then the underhood black. ITs a great paint and all in cans so you can touch up really easy if you had too.
Old November 25th, 2004, 09:47 AM
Kev Baldwin
Kevin Baldwin
2.4 Tdci 110 Utilty Wagon

Ref the replacement Twisted Performance intercooler.

Inherited one of their intercoolers when i bought my 300Tdi D90. Coupled with the afore-mentioned fuel pump tweaks the truck ran like a dream and would pull top gear all day long. I'd have no hesitation in recommending TP's enlarged version of the standard item. Go for it.

FWIW. When i eventually sold the D90 it had 155,000 miles on the clock. Half of those had been done with the larger intercooler fitted and the fuelling tweaks. The engine had never been opened, didn't consume a drop of oil or water and it still pulled like a train.

Word of warning to those looking to open up their fuel pumps. Once you've eventually got those damned screws undone it's not uncommon to find the inside of the pump full of crud and rust with everything nicely siezed up.

Kev
Old November 25th, 2004, 11:17 AM
TwisteD90
Yousef Hamzeh
06 RR SC, 06 LR3, 94 D90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckon37s
I'll have you know that the entire cage can be removed in 30min, no masking needed! But, repainting is time consuming and expensive. Plus, then I would just screw it up again.
Please wheel it before you add any more junk to it. Since the first time I've seen a picture of this truck it's only been in a shop.

Oh I'll be in San Diego 12/27 to 01/03 so get it done so we can take it wheelin, or better yet get it done so I can take it wheelin and show you how it's done
Old November 25th, 2004, 02:57 PM
Buckon37s
Buck
Re-Fendered 90

"Please wheel it before you add any more junk to it. Since the first time I've seen a picture of this truck it's only been in a shop."

Hey!! You know better than anyone why this damn thing has taken so long! Besides, who is talking about adding anything more? Junk! A roll cage is not Junk!!! The truck will be done shortly. All I am waiting for is the 15in calipers, hehe, and the 1.5 axle shafts to be shortenend. Should be 2 weeks max. We can get together when you come down fo sho. I might even let you drive, but beware, it will be like going from a Ford Fiesta to a M5

Thanks for the info on Twisted Kev. I will go that route if I can not find a cheaper option.

BUCK Wild Racing
Team 911

Rover Tracks
PSC
DJ Safety
West Coast Rovers
Reel Driveline
Old December 5th, 2004, 06:26 PM
Buckon37s
Buck
Re-Fendered 90

More Updates

Just snapped some new pictures. The axle is almost done, mmmm beefy. So very close now! Anyway, here you go..
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010227.JPG
Views:	174
Size:	75.1 KB
ID:	1995   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010228.JPG
Views:	154
Size:	71.9 KB
ID:	1996  

Name:	P1010229.JPG
Views:	154
Size:	72.2 KB
ID:	1997   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010230.JPG
Views:	199
Size:	65.4 KB
ID:	1998  

Name:	P1010232.JPG
Views:	207
Size:	76.3 KB
ID:	1999  

BUCK Wild Racing
Team 911

Rover Tracks
PSC
DJ Safety
West Coast Rovers
Reel Driveline
Old December 5th, 2004, 08:31 PM
TDI Guy
Randy
2015 LR4
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Nice.. The cage is getting rusty...ITs paint time.
Old December 5th, 2004, 09:10 PM
WhiteD90
Johnathan Tisdale
93 110, 90 RockRR buggy

David-

Glad to see your progress. What are you doing for inner seals?

Tis
Old December 5th, 2004, 09:37 PM
Buckon37s
Buck
Re-Fendered 90

It's funny you mentioned that because we went over that today. I never knew how complicated and how much you have to know to get this type of thing done correctly. It is a combination of a pressed brass washer and a main seal. Mine is a little different in that I am keeping the entire D60 outer assembly and changing the bolt pattern over to rover. To be quite honest we got into such detail about the tig and tolerances and such that my head is swimming a little bit.

BUCK Wild Racing
Team 911

Rover Tracks
PSC
DJ Safety
West Coast Rovers
Reel Driveline
Old December 5th, 2004, 10:00 PM
WhiteD90
Johnathan Tisdale
93 110, 90 RockRR buggy

Does the brash bush look like this?
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Whitt,4wheel 236.jpg
Views:	140
Size:	70.0 KB
ID:	2003  
Old December 5th, 2004, 10:05 PM
Buckon37s
Buck
Re-Fendered 90

No, but that looks like it would work. Is that what you used??

BUCK Wild Racing
Team 911

Rover Tracks
PSC
DJ Safety
West Coast Rovers
Reel Driveline
Old December 6th, 2004, 09:36 AM
WhiteD90
Johnathan Tisdale
93 110, 90 RockRR buggy

Yes. Originally I had just an outer seal at the "C" but as you turn the wheel it causes the ujoint to oscillate and that outer seal begins to leak. I've not put these brass seals in yet, as they need to be turned down a bit in order for the 1.5" shafts to fit thru the outer end with some margin. They slide into the inner housing just as the shaft exits the side gear. Hopefully it will cure the leak, be sure you adress this before putting your setup together.

Tis
Old December 6th, 2004, 10:48 AM
Buckon37s
Buck
Re-Fendered 90

This was one of the first things that Cliff said. That the seal was very important due to the movement of the inner shaft. I will snap some pics to show what we sued. It actually looks somewhat similar. This is about the 40th axle he has done like this so I think he developed a system for it. Problem is, after an hour, he was only half way though explaining it to me.

BUCK Wild Racing
Team 911

Rover Tracks
PSC
DJ Safety
West Coast Rovers
Reel Driveline
Old December 6th, 2004, 12:36 PM
mikeslandrover
Mike Hammond
110 200Tdi and a 2005 Scorpa SY250

Registry
Very impressive..... intercooler??????

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Build-up's, Projects & Registry Profiles > Truck Build-up's & Restores

« - | It's alive! »