The end is near - Page 4 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Build-up's, Projects & Registry Profiles > Truck Build-up's & Restores

Old November 5th, 2004, 02:00 PM
TDI Guy
Randy
2015 LR4
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Dave, I wonder if they are locktighted form the factory?
Advertisement

Old November 5th, 2004, 04:45 PM
dmarchand
David Marchand
'97 D90 SW Arles

Registry
Dunno. I wouldn't be surprised. Have you tried yours?
Old November 5th, 2004, 06:53 PM
Buckon37s
Buck
Re-Fendered 90

What are you guys talking about?? Maybe a thread merged here or something. BTW: I had a chance to visit the new manufacturer of the hummer replacement, the "flyer". All aluminum body, Fox Coilovers, and small turbo Diesel. Looks like the army is stealing ideas from me!! Of course, it also had the engine mounted in the back and a tube chassy, but whatever.

BUCK Wild Racing
Driver: Me
Co-driver: Pat Quirk
Team 911

Rover Tracks
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
PSC
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
DJ Safety
West Coast Rovers
Reel Driveline
Made it further than half of the other guys, but the Hammers won.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old November 6th, 2004, 03:24 AM
mikeslandrover
Mike Hammond
110 200Tdi and a 2005 Scorpa SY250

Registry
I was just thinking the same thing, scanned up & down the whole thread incase I missed something...
The answer is of course that the gremlins have got into your engine too. They're sure making a mess of my engine at the moment...... see gremlins in the 90 thread.
Old November 6th, 2004, 12:27 PM
dmarchand
David Marchand
'97 D90 SW Arles

Registry
I think you guys only have short-term memory....

We were referring to Mike's summary post on tweaking the fueling in your tdi engine. I was talking about the top cover of the pump. I finally got it off. Bought the largest, tallest flat head I could find and gave it some muscle. I think the pb plaster did most of the work though.... I'll report back on the results!
Old November 6th, 2004, 12:42 PM
mikeslandrover
Mike Hammond

Registry
All becomes clear. Yes those screws are right so-and-so's to get off, they're M6 thread so I considered putting some hex head bolts in their place.

Are you going the whole hog, star wheel, torx screw and a twist on the diaphram?

We're off track in this thread again......
Old November 6th, 2004, 01:02 PM
Buckon37s
Buck
Re-Fendered 90

Okay, now I get it. Carry on! I will have update pics in a week. Tire carrier is done, role bar is done. Swivel balls have beed sawzalled off.....

BUCK Wild Racing
Team 911

Rover Tracks
PSC
DJ Safety
West Coast Rovers
Reel Driveline
Old November 6th, 2004, 02:53 PM
dmarchand
David Marchand
'97 D90 SW Arles

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeslandrover
All becomes clear. Yes those screws are right so-and-so's to get off, they're M6 thread so I considered putting some hex head bolts in their place.

Are you going the whole hog, star wheel, torx screw and a twist on the diaphram?

We're off track in this thread again......

Yes, just finished and drove around town. All I have to say is holy S#$#... I was conservative on the adjustments. The difference in acceleration is noticable. In fact, very noticable. And much smother from start to 4th. Very impressive. Can't wait to get it on the highway tonight and on a few hills.

Okay, I'm done hijacking the thread!
Old November 6th, 2004, 03:05 PM
TDI Guy
Randy
2015 LR4
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Dave, how much sweaking did you do??? We need details man.
Old November 6th, 2004, 04:19 PM
dmarchand
David Marchand
'97 D90 SW Arles

Registry
Everything Mike suggested on the pump itself. However I turned the screw on the blanking plate about 1.25 turns. And turned the diaphragm about 80 degrees from the stock position. I also have the smoke screw at about 1 1/4 turns. At 1 1/2 or more, I get visible smoke.

Randy. I'd say drive your rig the first 3K miles just to get a good feel for it. Then make the tweaks (I can help if you like). It's a world of difference.
Old November 6th, 2004, 06:42 PM
TDI Guy
Randy
2015 LR4
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
sounds good. Thanks David. I only have about 3 miles on my truck. I will want to do it eventually but I have to say thatt he motor feels quite good right now and throws out some power for a 4 cyl. Much more then any other 4 banger rover I ever had.
Old November 7th, 2004, 04:27 AM
mikeslandrover
Mike Hammond

Registry
Old November 20th, 2004, 02:53 PM
Buckon37s
Buck
Re-Fendered 90

Good morning all. Got some project update pics here. The cage is done. Front end is almost done, just need to do the quarter panel protection. The tire carrier is almost completely done. Just need the Hilift attached and the release mechanism. It holds 1000 pounds, just to keep with the theme of overbuilding! Check out the approach angle!! Not bad for a winch. Ok, flame away....

Follow-up Post:

Heres the tire carrier. The swing mechanism is a machined down Chevy wheel spindle complete with bearings and grease. You can remove the entire assembly with 2 bolts.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010207.JPG
Views:	195
Size:	70.2 KB
ID:	1917   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010208.JPG
Views:	178
Size:	65.5 KB
ID:	1918  

Name:	P1010214.JPG
Views:	172
Size:	70.0 KB
ID:	1919   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010217.JPG
Views:	227
Size:	72.2 KB
ID:	1920  

Name:	P1010206.JPG
Views:	209
Size:	70.5 KB
ID:	1921   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010212.JPG
Views:	181
Size:	72.7 KB
ID:	1922  

Name:	P1010211.JPG
Views:	186
Size:	68.9 KB
ID:	1923   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010213.JPG
Views:	208
Size:	74.4 KB
ID:	1924  

Name:	P1010209.JPG
Views:	186
Size:	68.6 KB
ID:	1925   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010210.JPG
Views:	173
Size:	63.5 KB
ID:	1926  

BUCK Wild Racing
Team 911

Rover Tracks
PSC
DJ Safety
West Coast Rovers
Reel Driveline
Old November 20th, 2004, 04:02 PM
UKlandyandy
Andy
'86 exmil 90, 3.9efi auto

Nice looking truck, are you going to run arch extensions over the tyres ?
Old November 20th, 2004, 04:11 PM
DJ Menasco
DJ Menasco
#500/500

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckon37s
Good morning all. Got some project update pics here. The cage is done. Front end is almost done, just need to do the quarter panel protection. The tire carrier is almost completely done. Just need the Hilift attached and the release mechanism. It holds 1000 pounds, just to keep with the theme of overbuilding! Check out the approach angle!! Not bad for a winch. Ok, flame away....

Follow-up Post:

Heres the tire carrier. The swing mechanism is a machined down Chevy wheel spindle complete with bearings and grease. You can remove the entire assembly with 2 bolts.

Hmmm, now where did I leave that M1A1 Flamethrower? Dammit! Well, I'll just make fun of you instead Dave! Now that you've encapsulated your D90 in a fine wrought iron chicken koop I WANT to see you roll it! I think you owe us that much!

Oh, whats the reason for leaving a front bumper out of the picture?

DJ
Old November 20th, 2004, 04:18 PM
TDI Guy
Randy
2015 LR4
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Looks Sick David... The front is cool
Old November 20th, 2004, 09:35 PM
Buckon37s
Buck
Re-Fendered 90

"Nice looking truck, are you going to run arch extensions over the tyres ?"

No, and the front end is going to be 3in wider when the new outers are in place so I hope the cops leave me alone!

"Hmmm, now where did I leave that M1A1 Flamethrower? Dammit! Well, I'll just make fun of you instead Dave! Now that you've encapsulated your D90 in a fine wrought iron chicken koop I WANT to see you roll it! I think you owe us that much!

Oh, whats the reason for leaving a front bumper out of the picture?"

I promise I will roll it, don't know if I will get it on tape though! When you like to push your truck to the limit, you will roll it, it's a matter of when, not if. Plus, its great fun and the ladies love it. I left the bumper off because there is really no point, just ads extra weight and takes away approach angle. I wanted to stay as far away as possible from the ARB snow-plow look.

Thanks Randy, I think it is coming along pretty well. I wish I had made the cylinder for the tire carrier shorter, but we were going to run the tubes over the rear light at first and then changed our minds and left the extra lenth. I hope it doesn't look too menacing.

BUCK Wild Racing
Team 911

Rover Tracks
PSC
DJ Safety
West Coast Rovers
Reel Driveline
Old November 22nd, 2004, 10:44 AM
mikeslandrover
Mike Hammond

Registry
Any progress on the intercooler yet or is it better not to ask?
Old November 22nd, 2004, 08:52 PM
Buckon37s
Buck
Re-Fendered 90

Yes and no! I was about to order it and then when I made the call the guy told me that it was much too big for the engine. He said there was def such a thing as too much intercooler. And I thought bigger was better. I need to do a little more research before I buy, because I do not want mass turbo lag and whatever else could go wronge. I will post pics as it comes along, both the intercooler and the new outers.

BUCK Wild Racing
Team 911

Rover Tracks
PSC
DJ Safety
West Coast Rovers
Reel Driveline
Old November 23rd, 2004, 04:36 PM
TDI Guy
Randy
2015 LR4
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
David, I eventually want one too but have not done any homework yet... I like the Allard stage 2 kit though..

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Build-up's, Projects & Registry Profiles > Truck Build-up's & Restores

« - | It's alive! »