The end is near - Page 3 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Build-up's, Projects & Registry Profiles > Truck Build-up's & Restores

Old October 14th, 2004, 03:02 AM
mikeslandrover
Mike Hammond
110 200Tdi and a 2005 Scorpa SY250

Registry
I'm no engine guru, & always willing to learn.
You probably can run higher boosts than 15psi, it just puts more stress on the engine.
The garage where I get most of my parts from was campaigning a 100" Landrover for safari racing a few years ago, it had the biggest intercooler I've ever seen and was putting out over 200bhp, the fuel pump was totally rebuilt with different internals and injected fuel by the bucketfull but the engine didn't last so long.
David I'd be really interested in knowing how you set up your EGT guage. Where does it fit? Was there much machining involved? Do you run a boost guage too?
I've heard that some people plumb the turbo waste gate activating pressure into the inlet manifold as opposed to its current position just after the turbo impeller, thus negating any pressure loss through the intercooler.
I'm hoping that only moderately tweaking the fueling & turbo boost won't do any damage.
The 90 is only slightly faster than my 110 now, it used to be a good bit more slugish AND it tended to use more fuel????? This was a cause of constant irritation to me.

Get that bigger intercooler in there David!!
Are the metal boost pipes on your truck standard or have you replaced them with ones without the constrictions in them, most of the intercooler companies over here do sets if alli pipes without the squashed bits in them.... what were landrover thinking of when they did that?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old October 14th, 2004, 10:09 AM
Chris Cox
Chris Cox
94 D90 SW, 300tdi

Don't know if it will make much difference, but I do know alot of guys that race diesels use plastic wire ties around the intercooler pipes, so they don't expand, and you don't loose that small amount of boost from the turbo that you normally do.
Old October 14th, 2004, 10:21 AM
mikeslandrover
Mike Hammond

Registry
I've seen that done too and wondered about the validity of the idea. How much do the pipes expand?
They certainly don't blow up like balloons (well I hope not anyway). the turbo lag caused by the pipes expanding ever so slightly must be infinitesimal.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old October 15th, 2004, 12:20 AM
Buckon37s
Buck
Re-Fendered 90

I will get the intercooler hooked up as soon as I can. I think I can get a 3.5in thick one in there. I can take pictures of the egt guage but it is straight foreword. Just a nipple welded in the exaust and it fits in the standard 2 1/8 guage hole in the dash. Just + - and light power. I can't stress enough how important it is, you would not believe how much it can change, and you could be hitting 1500 and not even know it, I can only wonder what I did to the engine before I had the guage, even though it was stock. I don't run a boost guage, just no room left and I don't ever go over 17 psi. I did change the intercooler pipe. The stock one was nuts! My exaust guy made one for me for $15. Don't worry Mike, you won't do any damage, all you have to do is keep it below 1200 and you are fine. Now all I need to do is get the intercooler in and the propane injection and I am set.

BUCK Wild Racing
Driver: Me
Co-driver: Pat Quirk
Team 911

Rover Tracks
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
PSC
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
DJ Safety
West Coast Rovers
Reel Driveline
Made it further than half of the other guys, but the Hammers won.
Old October 16th, 2004, 02:56 AM
mikeslandrover
Mike Hammond

Registry
Ah, propane injection, I've heard good things about that in the mags too! Briefly spoke to one chap who had a home made system cobbled together running off of a camping gas cylinder (somewhat illegal over here) and he was claiming V8 type acceleration with no other mods. What's the propane going to do to the EGT?
Old October 16th, 2004, 03:21 PM
Buckon37s
Buck
Re-Fendered 90

Hank Hill> "ah propane, the gas of the gods". I have not had first hand experience, but from what understand and have been told, the propane lowers EGT's. It allows 100% of the diesel to be combusted giving anywhere from a 10% to 40% gain in HP. I would imagine on 300TDi's the gain would be closer to 40% due to no computer aided injection. I am interested but it is down the road for me, it also improves gas milage by quite a bit.

BUCK Wild Racing
Team 911

Rover Tracks
PSC
DJ Safety
West Coast Rovers
Reel Driveline
Old October 24th, 2004, 08:48 PM
Buckon37s
Buck
Re-Fendered 90

Back on the end is near

Here are some project update pictures. This is the finishing process on the roll cage and front bumper. Have not got into the 60 stuff or tire carrier yet. These are only tacked into place. The front bar is resting on the running lights. That will go up and have another bar on top of it. The front will also have a pre-runner style bar with light tabs and there is still a lot to do to the cage. So far it is looking pretty ugly...perfect. And the winch has a much better approach angle than stock! The pics are low quality scans, sorry.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	rollcage4.jpg
Views:	216
Size:	24.1 KB
ID:	1693   Click image for larger version

Name:	rollcage1.jpg
Views:	214
Size:	21.3 KB
ID:	1694  

Name:	rollcage2.jpg
Views:	235
Size:	19.6 KB
ID:	1695   Click image for larger version

Name:	rollcage3.jpg
Views:	199
Size:	27.5 KB
ID:	1696  

BUCK Wild Racing
Team 911

Rover Tracks
PSC
DJ Safety
West Coast Rovers
Reel Driveline
Old October 25th, 2004, 03:38 AM
mikeslandrover
Mike Hammond

Registry
Looking good.....what are you doing about a front bumper?
Will the standard wheel arches cover hose monster wheels or is that not an issue in the states.
Local bobbies get very bent out of shape if the wheels aren't covered by bodywork over here.
Old October 25th, 2004, 09:52 AM
Buckon37s
Buck
Re-Fendered 90

I don't think I am going to run a front bumper. They are heavy and bulky and anything I bend up, I will just cut off. I am still contemplating building one but the cage would go in the same way since it is completely unboltable. The cops in Cali are pretty cool about the tires. I just hope they continue to be that way since the new frontend is going to stick out another inch!

BUCK Wild Racing
Team 911

Rover Tracks
PSC
DJ Safety
West Coast Rovers
Reel Driveline
Old October 25th, 2004, 02:11 PM
DJ Menasco
DJ Menasco
#500/500

Hey David

I think you forgot to install X-bars here, here, and here!!!

Sorry, I couldn't help myself.

DJ
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	rollcage4 copy.jpg
Views:	213
Size:	115.7 KB
ID:	1713  
Old October 25th, 2004, 02:57 PM
rover4x4
Phillip
1995 SW #487/500

Registry
wow that thing is pretty well protected externally
Old October 25th, 2004, 03:07 PM
TDI Guy
Randy
2015 LR4
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
DJ, you mean like this?

I had to. Don't you just love paint shop. David, ITs all love..

Randy
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	111.JPG
Views:	227
Size:	55.0 KB
ID:	1718  
Old October 25th, 2004, 03:14 PM
chrisvonc
Chris von C
No Defender at this time

LOL... we can almost start calling the truck "Beyond Thunderdome". David, you are planning on wheeling that or just pushing it to the top of hills and tumbling down them? Hell remove a few body panels and add a few more bars and you'll have a full out rock buggy.

Randy because its a BMP file. the software can only thumbnail JPG and I think GIFs.

Please email one of the current MODs if you need assistance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lriwater: As you know, most wives don't like Series trucks due to the ride and lack of creature comforts. Girlfriends seem to like those, but some sort of magic happens during the wedding ceremony.
[/size]
Old October 25th, 2004, 03:46 PM
DJ Menasco
DJ Menasco
#500/500

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDI Guy
DJ, you mean like this?
Bwhahahahahah!!!

Quote:
Don't you just love paint shop.
Yes. Yes I DO!

DJ
Old October 25th, 2004, 08:12 PM
TwisteD90
Yousef Hamzeh
06 RR SC, 06 LR3, 94 D90

Oh my God! I'm really speechless! Dave what's your plan for this truck?
Old October 25th, 2004, 09:26 PM
Buckon37s
Buck
Re-Fendered 90

You guys crack me up! I am just really anal about rolling. My last truck I put it on its roof once and on it's side 3 times. I try to push things further than they are meant to go. When somebody says something can't be done, I try harder to make myself look like an idiot! So that being said, this cage is designed to take a fairly significant shock load, including going over backwards. It is also in the right locations to most likely make contact first. The running gear is strong enough to handle almost anything, leaving room for the friek ass crazy something. The only weak link is the Drive shafts which I am going to leave weak and carry a spare. It's almost done, and with no internal cage or front bumper, you would be surprised at the final weight. Also, I can still take the top off. I really wish at this point that I had more wheel base as that is really the only thing that limits where it can go. Maybe a bob tail and a lenthening is in my future... na.

BUCK Wild Racing
Team 911

Rover Tracks
PSC
DJ Safety
West Coast Rovers
Reel Driveline
Old October 25th, 2004, 10:05 PM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
Not to needle, but it would have been a lot cheaper to put Tdi stickers on one of these and run around in it wearing an AA Yellow jumpsuit.
Attached Images

Old October 25th, 2004, 10:31 PM
rover4x4
Phillip
1995 SW #487/500

Registry
Rotflmao
Old October 25th, 2004, 11:57 PM
Buckon37s
Buck
Re-Fendered 90

My truck is NOT AA yellow.

BUCK Wild Racing
Team 911

Rover Tracks
PSC
DJ Safety
West Coast Rovers
Reel Driveline
Old November 5th, 2004, 09:21 AM
dmarchand
David Marchand
'97 D90 SW Arles

Registry
Quote:
The first thing is remove the top cover and small pipe connected to the top cover by the banjo union.
Hey Mike, I know it sounds silly. But is it a common problem getting the four screws undone on the top cover? I'm having a hell of a time trying to get them backed out. They just won't budge and I'm quickly reaching the point where the heads are getting close to stripped (who puts a flat head screw there anyway?). I hit them with PB blaster last night and will see how it looks tonight. I'm probably going to pick up a impact driver on the way home too just in case. It's always the little things...

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Build-up's, Projects & Registry Profiles > Truck Build-up's & Restores

« - | It's alive! »