The discofender - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Build-up's, Projects & Registry Profiles > Truck Build-up's & Restores

Old December 31st, 2015, 07:27 AM
35xj
dave rees
63. 88"

The discofender

Hey fellas,

Figured it was about time to do a little documentation on the new project. I was in AZ last year sitting around with a bunch of buddy's, talking about how many cars we all owned ( we are all members of the Land Rover off road team) as the evening progressed I somehow ended up in possession of a (reportedly) really straight 88" series 2 body. Non drivetrain, rotten frame, the usual. Of course, it was in Portland oregon, and I live in NC...
A plan was hatched. I was headed out to moab for work, then on to Finnish up the TAT on the dirt bike, so I brought my dad along, and a car trailer..
The TAT ended up short due to my buddy smashing his foot, but the old andy was loaded onto the trailer!

Here she is at home

In the 5 months of ownership previous to actually seeing the car, I'd hatched a plan to put the body onto a discovery 1. Dimensions were close enough, and having built several competitive rock crawlers from scratch, how hard could it be?
Turns out, the biggest hurdle was finding a rust free disco!
Meanwhile, here's a shot from the TAT trip

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old December 31st, 2015, 07:35 AM
rovertrader
Dale
Tithonus 110, D-90, 109 S/T 5-door

Great project, awesome pic!!
If you haven't found a Disco donor, shoot me a PM, as I have something you may be interested in.
Good luck with the build!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old December 31st, 2015, 10:53 AM
RBBailey
RBBailey
1965 IIa

Registry
Cool!

I think I might recognize that truck, but can't quite place it. Have you looked into using a RRC as donor? I know that has been done a lot, and I wonder if maybe something about the frame might suit the job better than a Disco.

And why in the world do so many on this forum come from North Carolina? Am I imagining this?

1965 IIa SWB
1988 Saudi 110 (soon to be 300tdi)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old December 31st, 2015, 11:24 AM
Broncoduecer
peter
D90

Nice bike and great pictures. What camera were you using?
Old December 31st, 2015, 11:45 AM
One Ten
Sam
1994 NAS SW

I would Love to see a thread where somebody actually rebodies a disco one to look like a Defender, and I don't mean that DAP kit. That would be interesting
Old December 31st, 2015, 12:59 PM
35xj
dave rees
63. 88"

From what I can gather disco 1 is the same frame as a RRC.

Camera is an Olympus small DSLR

Move made a lot of progress, I need to update the pictures!
Old January 1st, 2016, 07:45 AM
35xj
dave rees
63. 88"

Found a rust free donor car, and began the serious business. ( i have really useful neighbors!)

This is where it started to become a real project. I cut the rear frame off at the rear coil mounts as I figured that piece of frame would be pretty easy to replicate later.

After a whole lot of measuring, I decided to go for a 90 inch wheelbase. Aesthetically the 88" has always looked a little short to me in the rear wheel well. Som90 should just about fix that

Jumping ahead a little... Borrowed a spare bulkhead and rear tub section from a friend for mock up. figuring I could leave Annie ( the cars name found scribbled on some old documents) together for measuring while I built all the various mounts. So, outriggers were built, and things were tied together with rock rails. This picture is a pretty big jump as I guess I didn't take any of just the frame.
http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y122/35xj/Mobile%20Uploads/IMG_0450_zpsyjaci5wt.jpg[/IMG]

Because of the difference in frame shapes, the front tub mounts need to be much taller than on the original frame
Old October 27th, 2016, 07:22 AM
35xj
dave rees
63. 88"

Well, progress has been painfully slow on this. But the drivetrain is mounted in the frame now! Next issue is the rad/intercooler. I have the rad and the IC from a 90 along with the frame, but due to the steering box on the discovery frame, it fouls.
So, my resolution seems to be to mount the IC in front of the rad slowing the inlet and outlet to sit alongside the radiator.
Any obvious issues I'm missing with this plan? Probably also going to require running an electric fan due to space

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Build-up's, Projects & Registry Profiles > Truck Build-up's & Restores

Tags
disco