South African 110 build - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Build-up's, Projects & Registry Profiles > Truck Build-up's & Restores

Old December 18th, 2014, 07:23 PM
TMWTP
Jon
1989 One Ten

Registry
South African 110 build

After years of thinking about it and months of searching, I finally pulled the trigger on a Defender 110 to serve as a scenic trail/family wheeler, and blizzard machine. There is a local guy who runs an outfit called Righteous Trading Company who finds clean South African Defenders, and imports them. He just got two 110's in, one 3-door, and a 5-door.

Here is what I'm starting with:

^^Notice the hatch? I think this was used as a safari vehicle.

It came with a LR V8, which is essentially an old Buick V8 iirc. It's a bit cold-blooded, but it does run pretty well even though the carb hasn't been tuned for altitude yet. The guys in South Africa did a rebuild on it just before sending it over. With fully functional AC!

Not that I care what powerplant it came with. I'm planning on using the GM Gen IV swap kit. I will probably sell the motor and trans if anyone is interested. With it already being a gas motor, there shouldn't be too many EPA hoops to jump through to swap in a more efficient, cleaner gas motor in it's place.

Down side: no heater. Nothing a Mojave can't fix.

Title work should be done in the next month or so. I plan to drive it as-is until March. Without a heater, that won't be much. Then, it'll go down to Rockware in Colorado Springs so they can do the heavy lifting on the motor swap and conversion to left-hand drive. I'd like to tackle some of this myself, but I'm out of space, and certainly out of my skill-set. I know I could do it, but it would take a few years, and probably cost just as much. With any luck, I'll be able to wheel it this summer.
'12 Rockware 3-seat rock buggy - FOR SALE!
'13 LR4 - FOR SALE!
'83 110 - FOR SALE!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old December 18th, 2014, 07:52 PM
RBBailey
RBBailey
1965 IIa

Registry
Pretty freakin awesome.

I like the color, I am leaning that way for a repaint. Kind of a warm white, very light tan?
Old December 18th, 2014, 08:02 PM
TMWTP
Jon
1989 One Ten

Registry
Yes. Very light khaki, off-white beige-ish. I actually like it a lot, but I made the mistake of asking my wife what she thought. She wants gunmetal grey. I figure I should listen to her since she's letting me take on another project.
'13 LR4 - FOR SALE!
'83 110 - FOR SALE!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old December 18th, 2014, 08:12 PM
RX6RCROL
Matthew Hedrick
1994 D-90 #646

Registry
Congrats! Heard nothing but positive things about Matt Davis in Cape Town.
Old December 18th, 2014, 09:02 PM
Overlander
mark kellgren
in between D's in an 04 D2

Registry
Very nice! I'd love to add a hatch, but it's a challenge with a roof rack and external cage. Enjoy!

ISIL and al qaeda can go F*ck themselves...
Old December 18th, 2014, 09:11 PM
RBBailey
RBBailey
1965 IIa

Registry
Do they have a web site?
Old December 18th, 2014, 10:00 PM
TMWTP
Jon
1989 One Ten

Registry
Facebook only at this time. Very nice guy with a young family. He has a 3-door that looks like it is in slightly better shape than mine.
'13 LR4 - FOR SALE!
'83 110 - FOR SALE!
Old December 19th, 2014, 06:16 PM
TMWTP
Jon
1989 One Ten

Registry
Poll time. I have time to make these decisions, but I'm looking for input. It'll get a 2" OME kit, skids, sliders, and bumpers. The rest is up for discussion.

Winch: It'll be a Warn. Haven't decided which one yet. Those of you with a Powerplant, would you recommend it? I know the winch part will be solid. Haven't heard anything bad about the compressor side of things. Anyone plumb theirs to a tank that can run lockers and tools?

Tires: 33's or 35's? I'm not opposed to having summer and winter shoes for this thing. Probably a mild MT for summer, and a good sever weather AT for winter. This kinda' opens up a can of worms. To start with, there's the whole 15", 16", or 17" wheel debate. Compounded by the goofy bolt pattern that LR used. I will probably do a disk-brake conversion in the back, so I guess converting to 6 on 6.5 (standard GM 1/2-ton and Toyota) wouldn't be too difficult.

Lockers: Pretty sure I'll go with ARB's, even though I despise them. I've always been a Detroit kinda' guy, and haven't looked into what's new in this department in a while. Are the Yukon air-lockers holding up? Will they even have other options for Rover axles? Time to research.

Cage: Safety Devices or build an internal cage to keep the appearance clean? , with a more subtle roof rack? Custom exo cage is out of the question. If I'm going to go exo, I'd definitely want the SD cage.

As for paint, what about a wrap? Cost-wise it's probably about the same as a complete re-spray. Just thinking about rocky mountain pinstriping. Might be easier to re-wrap a door than completely re-paint it.
'13 LR4 - FOR SALE!
'83 110 - FOR SALE!
Old December 19th, 2014, 06:26 PM
Jonesy
Craig
87 D110 (Ruby)

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Overlander View Post
Very nice! I'd love to add a hatch
might as well - you have nearly everything else on her
Old December 19th, 2014, 06:45 PM
cgalpin
Charles Galpin
'94 D90 ST, '63 SeriesIIA
Site Team

Registry
Looking forward to seeing the build. I'd stick with 33's. Yes on ARB. I wouldn't mess with the paint at all
Old December 19th, 2014, 06:52 PM
RBBailey
RBBailey
1965 IIa

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMWTP View Post
Facebook only at this time. Very nice guy with a young family. He has a 3-door that looks like it is in slightly better shape than mine.
Found him. Actually I've known about him for a while, but never got the chance to look him up, another friend of mine knows him.
Old December 19th, 2014, 09:14 PM
TMWTP
Jon
1989 One Ten

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by cgalpin View Post
Looking forward to seeing the build. I'd stick with 33's. Yes on ARB. I wouldn't mess with the paint at all
Yeah, I'd agree, but da' wife wants it to look a little nicer. It's one of those things where she's given me the green-light to do it, so I might as well.
'13 LR4 - FOR SALE!
'83 110 - FOR SALE!
Old December 20th, 2014, 10:42 AM
sonoronos
Ed
None

Registry
i am huge fan of silver/grays so you have my support
Old December 20th, 2014, 11:36 AM
BlackField
Oscar
D110

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonoronos View Post
i am huge fan of silver/grays so you have my support
Silver/ and grey are cool but so much more interesting with a drop of green or red maybe brown just something to make it look less like a dreary day.

I had a Bonatti Grey 110 that looked cool but the more I saw it the more bland it got.
Old December 20th, 2014, 08:36 PM
aosias
Alexandra
1995 D90

Registry
Nice truck. Sounds like a fun project. Curious why the LHD conversion?
Old December 20th, 2014, 09:28 PM
Overlander
mark kellgren
in between D's in an 04 D2

Registry
regarding cage, first, you have a hatch. so it would be a stroke of luck if you got a SD exo cage and it didn't interfere with your hatch.

I love the look of a cageless 110 BUT there are several advantages to an exo cage vs an internal.

first, it protects the body from damage.

second, if gives you mounting points for lots of stuff, and all without putting strain on the body. My roof rack is directly mounted to it as an example.

third, internal cages take up a lot of internal space, and for an overland vehicles, that's 5th avenue top dollar space.

As for wheels, I dont' think there's a debate. 16" boom done. it's the standard.

As for whinch, ComeUp and Superwinch I think are the gold standards. Arctic trucks use ComeUp. That speaks volumes to me.

ISIL and al qaeda can go F*ck themselves...
Old December 20th, 2014, 10:15 PM
1of40
1of40
NAS 97SW & 83 One Ten Tdi

Registry
Looks like a nice truck. I would drive it as is and as often as possible and really get to know the truck before adding stuff. Focus first on the stuff that gets you there and back. Safely. There are a lot of components on a 25 year old truck that will start showing their age once you start using it more.

Clay

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old December 20th, 2014, 10:16 PM
TMWTP
Jon
1989 One Ten

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by aosias View Post
Nice truck. Sounds like a fun project. Curious why the LHD conversion?

Convenience really. I figure since it will be torn down that far, I might as well do it so my wife could drive it. Not sure if she'd be comfortable with rhd. But, the more I'm researching the real costs, im leaning a little towards rhd.

------ Follow up post added December 20th, 2014 10:20 PM ------

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1of40 View Post
Looks like a nice truck. I would drive it as is and as often as possible and really get to know the truck before adding stuff. Focus first on the stuff that gets you there and back. Safely. There are a lot of components on a 25 year old truck that will start showing their age once you start using it more.

Clay

Couple issues with that. It has no heat, and I want to get it ready for summer wheeling. I'll be removing most of the 25 year old driveline and swapping in the gen IV GM v8.
'13 LR4 - FOR SALE!
'83 110 - FOR SALE!
Old December 20th, 2014, 10:36 PM
aosias
Alexandra
1995 D90

Registry
Can't say Id do the LHD conversion again. Even for a daily driver. Not sure it's worth the money. And the LHD parts are so expensive. Are you replacing the bulkhead? if you are doing that it's really the expense of the LHD vs RHD parts at that point.

If you aren't going to convert it to a soft top I think the exo cage is the way to go. Especially if you want to keep that hatch. The interior CT cage will be cumbersome inside. P and P makes an exo cage board members have used and liked. Not discounting the SD cage at all. I really like the low profile rack on the SD NAS cage.

I'm interested in the V8 conversion, those seem pretty slick.
Old December 20th, 2014, 10:41 PM
1of40
1of40
NAS 97SW & 83 One Ten Tdi

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMWTP View Post
Convenience really. I figure since it will be torn down that far, I might as well do it so my wife could drive it. Not sure if she'd be comfortable with rhd. But, the more I'm researching the real costs, im leaning a little towards rhd. ------ Follow up post added December 20th, 2014 10:20 PM ------ Couple issues with that. It has no heat, and I want to get it ready for summer wheeling. I'll be removing most of the 25 year old driveline and swapping in the gen IV GM v8.
X2. I don't think folks give RHD enough of a chance. I wish my NAS was RHD too.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Build-up's, Projects & Registry Profiles > Truck Build-up's & Restores

Tags