South African 110 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Build-up's, Projects & Registry Profiles > Truck Build-up's & Restores

Old October 3rd, 2016, 03:05 PM
Bunyan
Paul B
'88 Defender 110 3.5L V8

South African 110

Figured I'd post up some pics of my new '88 Defender 110 I picked up in Pretoria, South Africa. I'm having the restoration done over there and will import it to the US early next year if all goes well.

I already met up with the local defender club and got to run some questions past them. Good crew and sweet rides I might add.

My rover has the 3.5L V8. I'm going to have it painted in Corris grey with charcoal accents.
Here's a few pics of the truck.

And for good measure I have to post up my buddies Keswick green "Hulk" out on a safari.

This one is a '89 3.5L V8. All finished and ready to go.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old October 3rd, 2016, 03:22 PM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
Be careful with restoring overseas as not to change anything that will cause importation problems. I hope that is not a galvanized chassis as that will not import.

Land Rover. Turning owners into mechanics since 1948.
Old October 3rd, 2016, 03:30 PM
roverguy2
Brian Morton
1991 Defender 110 "Blanca"

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red90 View Post
Be careful with restoring overseas as not to change anything that will cause importation problems. I hope that is not a galvanized chassis as that will not import.
I could be wrong but I thought South African Rovers had galvy chassis as standard like Australian trucks.

Always good advise not to change majors parts for US importation.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old October 3rd, 2016, 03:31 PM
Bunyan
Paul B
'88 Defender 110 3.5L V8

Yes, I'm keeping everything stock as per import restrictions.
All the South African Rovers come from the factory with galvanized chassis.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old October 30th, 2016, 08:11 PM
Sandy Landy
RCer
97 Defender 110 300TDI S

As Red said be careful. Document everything, take tons of pics, use macro on a good camera to take close up chassis and ALL serial numbers where you find them..don't fill or over spray that can block out numbers.

Bring all old receipts, all documentation and maybe even purchase history from the dealer it was bought or serviced at.

A friend of mine took my 89 to the US this summer, he was a US Diplomat here, it went OK. We did quite of restoration work before it went.

See what you can find there cheap for parts, fill it up in the cargo area and document/ declare all.

Congrats and good luck..it looks awesome.
Old April 2nd, 2017, 01:04 PM
Bunyan
Paul B
'88 Defender 110 3.5L V8

It's been a long time coming but my Landy is finally done. I think LR4 in Pretoria, SA did a fantastic job. The Corris grey is stunning I think.

Custom bash plate

The chassis and 3.5L V8 are OE and were simply restored. I really wanted rear disk brakes but think those didn't start 'til '89? Maybe I'll look into converting them once it's stateside.
This forum has been great help and I'll continue to lurk and post questions when they need answering.

Cheers

Old April 2nd, 2017, 04:12 PM
worldofinflation
Z
1995 Defender 110

Looks great - just curious. did if you ever price out the cost of LHD conversion in SA?
Old April 2nd, 2017, 07:44 PM
Bunyan
Paul B
'88 Defender 110 3.5L V8

I didn't - could be problematic on import. They said they could do it but I never pushed it any further.

Old April 3rd, 2017, 09:38 AM
diesel_jim
Jamie Austin
1992 110 Td5 CSW & 1989 MB G-Wagen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunyan View Post
The chassis and 3.5L V8 are OE and were simply restored. I really wanted rear disk brakes but think those didn't start 'til '89?

nice looking truck there now!

Rear discs came into being around late 1992/early '93
Old April 3rd, 2017, 09:40 AM
Bunyan
Paul B
'88 Defender 110 3.5L V8

Right on, thx.

Old April 3rd, 2017, 09:47 AM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
A defender in every driveway-motto
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Who makes those rear windows ? I've seen the metal ones but had seen the glass.

Dividing Creek Imports
Worldwide Land Rover Shipment and Importation Service
Bespoke Restoration & Modification work

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old April 3rd, 2017, 10:40 AM
Bunyan
Paul B
'88 Defender 110 3.5L V8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Douglas View Post
Who makes those rear windows ? I've seen the metal ones but had seen the glass.
Doug,

The glass gullwing windows are from Front Runner.

Front Runner Gullwing Window - Glass / Land Rover Defender - Paddock Spares
Old April 4th, 2017, 09:13 PM
rmpx
Rinus Du Plessis
1995 110

Who is going to manage the export-import leg for you (presuming you are not going to try and do it yourself)?
Old April 5th, 2017, 07:14 AM
Bunyan
Paul B
'88 Defender 110 3.5L V8

You are correct, I am not going to try it myself. I have a buddy who is currently working there who is getting the truck registered and then setting up the shipment thru Durban. Plan is to stick two trucks in a container and ship them to the US.
I'm not worried since both trucks have all the proper paperwork and matching vins, and are well beyond 25 yrs rule.
Reading some of the posts regarding some owners having issues on import here on can give you some serious heart burn though.
I'm open for comments or recommendations. I've also heard RORO is another option but my buddy recommends a container as that has worked fine for others in the past shipping from there.

Old April 5th, 2017, 07:31 AM
TheoH
Theo
94' 127 Defender

Hi Bunyan

Is yours 1 of the one's with a 6 digit win?

Looks really good, who in Pretoria did that for you?
Old April 5th, 2017, 07:36 AM
Bunyan
Paul B
'88 Defender 110 3.5L V8

Sure is. Same six digit is marked on the front left of the chassis. Also, the plate is on the driver side seat box, not fastened under the hood. I believe the standard U.K. Trucks have the SAL... VIN marked on the front right.
Marius at Capricorn Auto recently moved to LRxtreme did the restoration.

Old April 6th, 2017, 03:54 AM
rmpx
Rinus Du Plessis
1995 110

Why I contacted you:

I stay in Pretoria so I am close to the ground, so to speak. I am currently on the lookout for an original old Land Rover (incl paperwork, matching numbers with original South Africa VIN and engine number matching with the registration certificate, roadworthy vehicle according to South African requirements), older than 25 years to comply with USA import regulations. If not original, then at least restored to close to original condition. (Not sure how difficult such search will turn out to be, though...)

It is for a buddy of mine staying in NYC, who asked me to try and find one for him. The idea is that I put it on the ship at one of the South African ports, and he will collect it somewhere on the USA Eastern Seaboard (probably close as possible to NYC) and he then registers it in his name as a US road going vehicle.

I was looking at the RORO option, because my gut feel tells me that that will work out cheaper provided of course the vehicle is in a running condition :-) . Why do you prefer the container option? But hey, what do I know? I am a rookie in the export business.

I was hoping that we could exchange ideas?

Also, would it be possible that you put me in contact with your local buddy who is going to manage your transport and export on the South african side?

Regards
Rinus du Plessis
Old April 6th, 2017, 01:03 PM
Bunyan
Paul B
'88 Defender 110 3.5L V8

rmpx,

I'll help where I can but I'm not an exporter/importer. I'm just a lucky sob who's got a good buddy that works over there right now and was willing to handle the local stuff for me.
I can tell you lately that it's been very difficult to find decent original trucks that would be worthy of a proper import. I have several buddies stateside that are in line at the shop where mine was restored and they are having a hard time finding suitable trucks for them.

My truck is currently undergoing the SA "road worthy" testing in order to get it registered there and then it will be ready to ship. I was told by my buddy that others have used containers in the past. Yes, I'm sure RORO is cheaper and I may go that route as well. I'm just now learning up on the shipping options. My truck drives like new so RORO is definitely an option. I'll fill in those gaps here once I have more information.

Sorry, I can't give up my buddy to do the leg work for you in SA. He's not an importer/exporter. I'd recommend going thru someone like Uncle Doug here on this forum who does it for a living or any other importer company that folks here have had success with. I've hit him up but have no idea what he charges. I believe he will even go as far as finding a truck for you over there as well. I never got a quote on what he charges, which makes me think it's not cheap but as you can see there aren't a lot of options unless you have someone in the know who's willing to do the leg work for you. A lot of members here swear by him and from what I've read he knows his stuff. Maybe he can chime in here and give you better advice.

Good luck on your search!
Old April 6th, 2017, 08:11 PM
Hoosier Daddy
E H
None

That's a nice color! Looks great.
Old April 6th, 2017, 08:26 PM
Bunyan
Paul B
'88 Defender 110 3.5L V8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoosier Daddy View Post
That's a nice color! Looks great.

Thanks, it's Corris grey mixed with acrylic.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Build-up's, Projects & Registry Profiles > Truck Build-up's & Restores

Tags