Sound Proofing - Page 2 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Build-up's, Projects & Registry Profiles > Truck Build-up's & Restores

Old February 17th, 2015, 03:51 PM
javelinadave
-
-

I just found out that my childhood friend (yes, we use to hunt dinosaurs on the way to school together) owns Second Skin Audio. If anybody is interested I could talk to him about a discount code. His stuff is US made and his business is located in Tucson AZ.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old February 17th, 2015, 04:01 PM
grnrvrs
Paul

Quote:
Originally Posted by javelinadave View Post
I just found out that my childhood friend (yes, we use to hunt dinosaurs on the way to school together) owns Second Skin Audio. If anybody is interested I could talk to him about a discount code. His stuff is US made and his business is located in Tucson AZ.

Cool. SS makes some great stuff. I have it all over my 110.
Old February 17th, 2015, 04:15 PM
roverx
Scott Preston
1969 Ser IIA Tdi Hybrid

" worth mentioning .dynamat does not use asphalt. Yes you can get sound proofing for a third of the cost but if you would prefer the truck not smell like a freshly paved road on a hot summer day than pay the extra money. if you (or often more importantly the wife) doesnt mind the smell than go for the cheap stuff"

I have used the McMaster Carr copy in 4 different rovers for almost 20 plus years. I covered 150K in my last one and never had a smell of asphalt, ever! That includes several long multi week trips in Moab. Dynamat is great stuff. I have just been in the manufacturing end of the world for way to long. It cost pennies to make and they charge a ton for what you get. If you have the money and don't mind paying full boat great. You will get a good product. If you see that they over charge for what you get, you have a less expensive alternative that is equally great. I have used Dynamat and the McMaster copy and if you took off the logo you would be hard pressed to tell the difference.
2003 VW Jetta wagon 1.9 Tdi 5 speed
1995 Range Rover Classic 300 Tdi SoftDash (My Son's)

"Be the person your dog thinks you are"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old February 17th, 2015, 04:46 PM
phoenix37
john
97 D90 ST / 1957 S1 109/ 1983 LS110

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by roverx View Post
" worth mentioning .dynamat does not use asphalt. Yes you can get sound proofing for a third of the cost but if you would prefer the truck not smell like a freshly paved road on a hot summer day than pay the extra money. if you (or often more importantly the wife) doesnt mind the smell than go for the cheap stuff"

I have used the McMaster Carr copy in 4 different rovers for almost 20 plus years. I covered 150K in my last one and never had a smell of asphalt, ever! That includes several long multi week trips in Moab. Dynamat is great stuff. I have just been in the manufacturing end of the world for way to long. It cost pennies to make and they charge a ton for what you get. If you have the money and don't mind paying full boat great. You will get a good product. If you see that they over charge for what you get, you have a less expensive alternative that is equally great. I have used Dynamat and the McMaster copy and if you took off the logo you would be hard pressed to tell the difference.

Cant comment on Mcmasters product but I can say the stuff from Home depot sucked. It smelled terrible and I couldn't get rid of it.. Perhaps you don't think Mcdonalds fries are salty. everyone has different tolerance.

http://www.mobilesoundscience.com/sh...y-Not-Asphalt?
Old February 17th, 2015, 04:56 PM
LR Max
Thomason, Max
1973 Series 3 109

I just ordered a gallon of Al's Heat and Noise Reducer. Its kinda like Lizard skin as it is a paint. Its purpose is to dampen the vibration of the panels. Then I'll be going with a Mass Load Vinyl to kill any sound waves that make it through. Or at least that is the grand idea. I have nothing in the 109 and even with noise canceling earphones I'm getting tired of the ridiculous noise on the interstate.

There is one hole I have to patch and then after that I'll paint down the HNR.

Thanks for the McMaster carr link. I'll see if they've got MLV as it is stupid expensive on Amazon.
Old February 17th, 2015, 07:08 PM
javelinadave
-
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by javelinadave View Post

Here is our code for 10% off orders of $200 or more.
SUPER10

The owners name is Ken and he is a super good guy. Hope this helps, I'm going to do my door with their product in the next week or two.
If you do order please let him know you are from the Defender Source and hopefully he will keep throwing discount codes our way.
Dave
Old March 30th, 2016, 02:23 PM
LostChord
Brian
86 D110 SW

Registry
On my way to implementing multiple sound proofing measures (thanks Ed), but made one small change that was huge: added a foam pad under the shift boot (PN: ETX500050). The decrease was so dramatic, I'm thinking about stuffing another one in there for good measure.

Didn't get a DB measure before the change, but sitting around 84 right now (200Tdi).

Old March 30th, 2016, 03:25 PM
ATX_D110
Victor
1985 RHD D110 (SOLD)

Quote:
Originally Posted by LostChord View Post
On my way to implementing multiple sound proofing measures (thanks Ed), but made one small change that was huge: added a foam pad under the shift boot (PN: ETX500050). The decrease was so dramatic, I'm thinking about stuffing another one in there for good measure. Didn't get a DB measure before the change, but sitting around 84 right now (200Tdi).
Interesting - Anything special about the foam or could one make his/her own?
Old March 30th, 2016, 03:34 PM
LostChord
Brian
86 D110 SW

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATX_D110 View Post
Interesting - Anything special about the foam or could one make his/her own?
Not that I can tell, but I'm no foam expert. I would think you could make your own, plenty of google images available. Knowing defender parts, you could probably make it better
Old March 30th, 2016, 04:40 PM
1of40
1of40
NAS 97SW & 83 One Ten Tdi

Registry
I made one of these out of some thick scrap foam I had from some packing materials. It does make a noticeable difference in road noise, given you can see the road when it isn't in place. If I'm ever held at gun point and forced to pull that damn early 80's rubber single piece footwell/tunnel cover again (WAPITA) I will splurge and get the right one next time.
Old March 30th, 2016, 05:01 PM
DailyDrivenDefende
Michael
1989 110, 1985 90 200TDI

Quote:
On my way to implementing multiple sound proofing measures (thanks Ed), but made one small change that was huge: added a foam pad under the shift boot (PN: ETX500050). The decrease was so dramatic, I'm thinking about stuffing another one in there for good measure.

Didn't get a DB measure before the change, but sitting around 84 right now (200Tdi).

I will second this. I went this the other way. I removed it and there was so much noise I put it back.
Old March 30th, 2016, 05:02 PM
BlackField
Oscar
D110

Quote:

I bought a roll of 1/2 inch rubber to make that exact thing! Addressing that spot really is key. Thanks for the pic.
Old March 30th, 2016, 05:04 PM
Jonesy
Craig
87 D110 (Ruby)

Registry
ive always had it in - guess Nene Overland knew - and jeez it makes a difference. Also the bonnet matt one makes a big difference...

I do know the next thing is firewall (engine bulkhead side) deadening material for me to complete all you can do
Old March 30th, 2016, 05:39 PM
DailyDrivenDefende
Michael
1989 110, 1985 90 200TDI

FYI. That thing is some high density stuff. Not an average joe foam.
Old March 30th, 2016, 05:53 PM
ssi19
scott
1995/D90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenbull View Post
I recently added some fatmat under the bonnet, and it seems to be 10 to 15 % quiter...
Any details to provide on the application of the fatmat? Did you buy a particular thickness / kind (not sure if there are options there). Also did the self stick adhesive alone hold it upside down without issues?
Old March 30th, 2016, 06:47 PM
JohnsD90
John
74 SIII 88", 88 110, 91 110

Registry
Put Dynamat Hoodliner on the underside of my hood, it took the edge off on the highway. The Isuzu is still loud but you can tell it's a little better. It was only $50 off amazon. If I were to do it again I would put some Dynamat extreme under it first.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	108.4 KB
ID:	146356  
Old April 1st, 2016, 11:31 PM
KGH
Real Name
#1-'13 110SW,#2-'87 127,#3-'12 LR4

Registry
I've just done the rear tub, rear footwell, and front footwells on my 110. I used a box of Dynamat extreme, and two 18x36" pieces of generic sourced locally froma an audio store. The difference?

Dramatic.

Road noise is greatly reduced, so much that at 75mph you can have a conversation.

The plan is to get two more boxes, remove seats and seatbox carpet, and do those areas and inside the doors. I also plan to remove headliner and rear window trims, and use dynomat and their closed cell foam product for noise and heat defeat. The two products together should reduce condensation between headliner and roof, which is the killer of headliners.

I have sourced new headliner fasteners, as I do not want to get into this and have to half ass it if a few break. I am researching part numbers for seatbox carpet fasteners, and for door card fasteners.

I have also noted 2-3 water ingress areas in the tub, which I will seal from underneath once weather gets warmer. I did not dynomat over the tub floor seams, as I do not wish to trap water, so I ran about 1/4 from edges.

I also noted loose and missing fasteners in the front and rear floor panels. These will get addresses under the CPO warranty I got from LR Europe. It may be built like a tank, but a Russian tank at that.
Old April 2nd, 2016, 06:14 AM
Rocky
Chris
72 + D1 drivetrain

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnsD90 View Post
Put Dynamat Hoodliner on the underside of my hood, it took the edge off on the highway. The Isuzu is still loud but you can tell it's a little better. It was only $50 off amazon. If I were to do it again I would put some Dynamat extreme under it first.
Double layer. Nice idea.

I don't know about the brakes, only their unreliability.
Old April 2nd, 2016, 10:46 AM
o2batsea
Bill Adams
66 109 sw 94 lwb

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnsD90 View Post
I did dynamat plus hood liner. Made zero difference and the hood liner soaks up water like a sponge.

1966 109 5 door wagon 300Tdi "spermaceti fueled"
1994 RRC LeWiB "ruining the air behind me"
1968 2A 88

All my troubles are Rover
Old April 2nd, 2016, 10:51 AM
Ren Ching
Skinny Pete
'84 90 "Yamelo"/'88 RRC "Chewbacca"

Registry
The factory foam that should be there on all these trucks btw, is about 1.5- 2" thick.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackField View Post
I bought a roll of 1/2 inch rubber to make that exact thing! Addressing that spot really is key. Thanks for the pic.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Present:
1960 SII 109"- "Red Square"
1984 90 Tdi- "Yamelo"
1988 RRC- "Chewbacca"
1987 RRC- "Chewy 2"
2008 RRS SC- "The Supersofa"

Past:
1959 SII 88"- "The Little Green Beastie" last seen in NY
1972 SIII 88"- "GreenHELL" now in NC
1988 90 "Eric the Half a Bee" half a truck, sold for parts
1991 RRC- never got a name- long since recycled

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Build-up's, Projects & Registry Profiles > Truck Build-up's & Restores