Some will cry some will laugh! It is what it is! - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Build-up's, Projects & Registry Profiles > Truck Build-up's & Restores

Old April 25th, 2013, 11:05 PM
Brewie212
Brian Kandefer
1957 107 wagon, 94 arles St, 101 FC

Some will cry some will laugh! It is what it is!

Soooo, I got the truck ready enough for the Uwharrie trail ride in early April. I put in close to thirty hours the two days prior to get it trail ready. Well, I didn't have time to get the lights wired, and I was bleeding the brakes at 6am Saturday before we put her on the trailer to travel the two hours to the trails. We got there around ten and every one was already on the trail, the truck literally made its maiden voyage from the garage to the trailer, then from the trailer to the base camp!!! She seemed ready for a day on the trail, brakes where a little soft but wasn't planning on getting out of first or second gear. Some may see where this might be going! Anyway the day started awesome, my boss and I spent a couple hours solo in his truck and then we decided to head back to pick up my truck and break the cherry!!! We hit up a couple trails, she was rocking and rolling, no issues. Made it back to base camp for dinner and I was planning on heading home to my pregnant wife. It was around six and I wanted to hit one more trail before packing up and heading home, little did I know I should have just packed up and left. Soooo, we decided to hit Daniel, I figured I had a couple of hours before dark to get back to the trial head to get the trailer. We hit the first two ledges with ease, I didn't even air down!!! That is when the beginning of a bad five hour trial ride started!!! So shortly after the second ledge I got bumped off my line and my rear end got kicked into a rock wall! I figured well if this is the worse that happens I'm good! Well, it when down hill front there! I was following my boss in his LWB on 35's up the rock garden and didn't see a giant rock sitting in the middle of the trail, I blame it on not being use to the LHD from the fresh RHD conversion. Lets just say I nailed my tie rod and sheared the nut off, I backed up and lost all my steering! That is when my slider hit the tree in the middle of the trail, I was saved by the the slider! Remember the soft brakes I talked about earlier? Yeah they decided to go all together as well and I watched as my slider did a great job until the slider ran out and the tree crushed my front fender!!! Some would think that was the worse right? Not by a long shot!!!! Soo after spending a little while we found the nut that got sheared off put it back on and used a couple hose clamps to keep it in place, all the while it is now dark and I have no lights!!! And to make it even better for some reason my door won't close now (which turned out the door stricker had some how loosened and rotated enough to keep the door closing! Lets sum this up, busted rear quarter, busted LHD front fender, no brakes, steering is iffy at best, door won't close, no lights(it's now well past dark) oh yeah and we are only half way through the hardest trail I UWharrie! So we proceeded the only way we could, forward! I strapped my head lamp to the bull bar, held the door closed with one arm and a flash light in the same hand, and used the clutch and ebrake as brakes the rest of the way out of the trail. To sum it all up it was the most fun I have ever had on the trail, and with all that she still got me back to base camp to get loaded up on the trailer to head home. We got off the trail around ten thirty or so. Some will call me crazy, am I? Sure in some ways, if I hadn't gone would that nut have come off on the highway doing 80? (Who am I kinding 60) these trucks where designed to wheel and I was so excited to get it out on the trail, sure I dinged up the fresh paint, sure I was pissed! But I can look back and say that this was one of the most memorable trail rides ever! Anywho thought I should share my story.

Oh, and I didn't post on my build forum bc my wife likes to show her friends my build! She doesn't know about the body damage!!! Shhhhh, she is pregnant and I don't want to work her up!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1680768128.jpg
Views:	223
Size:	548.0 KB
ID:	70797   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3089972264.jpg
Views:	201
Size:	476.9 KB
ID:	70798  

Name:	image-813161040.jpg
Views:	211
Size:	620.8 KB
ID:	70799   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2061171790.jpg
Views:	192
Size:	485.9 KB
ID:	70800  

Name:	image-561040048.jpg
Views:	214
Size:	643.5 KB
ID:	70801   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-606815708.jpg
Views:	202
Size:	486.0 KB
ID:	70802  

Name:	image-2563588511.jpg
Views:	189
Size:	535.9 KB
ID:	70803   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3845316617.jpg
Views:	193
Size:	508.1 KB
ID:	70804  

Advertisement

Old April 25th, 2013, 11:13 PM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

Adds character to you and the truck. I have a bungie cord to hold the door in my series. Then I decided just to take it off when I wheel.
Old April 25th, 2013, 11:18 PM
Brewie212
Brian Kandefer

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilfij View Post
Adds character to you and the truck. I have a bungie cord to hold the door in my series. Then I decided just to take it off when I wheel.
Nothing like character added to a $4.5k paint job that is barely dry! Just gotta chalk this up as a learning experience
Advertisement

Old April 25th, 2013, 11:20 PM
evilfij
evilfij

I crunched the fender on my series first MAR after I got it done. The front half was painted. Never bothered to do the rest after that.
Old April 25th, 2013, 11:21 PM
Brewie212
Brian Kandefer

Nice
Old April 25th, 2013, 11:26 PM
Bill Larson
Bill Larson
97 D90 SW

That's all good! I was actually expecting worse. You're well prepared to handle adversity, that's why it was fun!
Old April 25th, 2013, 11:27 PM
61rover
John Crouse
'93 NAS D110 (#8) / '61 Series II

Registry
A woman hit my series five days after it was painted.
Old April 25th, 2013, 11:29 PM
evilfij
evilfij

There is a lesson in here, don't paint your rover! lol
Old April 25th, 2013, 11:33 PM
Brewie212
Brian Kandefer

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilfij View Post
There is a lesson in here, don't paint your rover! lol
If I didn't have it painted, it would be five colors! And no one likes those trucks
Old April 26th, 2013, 01:48 AM
Daddymow
Raub A.
1987 D110 Tithonus

Registry
It's always that last trail run, that last mud hole, that last beer, that last shot of tequila, that last....that always gets you in trouble. So next time, just sing the old Kenny Rogers song "The Gambler", it works.
Old April 26th, 2013, 07:26 AM
Brewie212
Brian Kandefer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSBriggs View Post
Still have the chunks of bondo? They might come in handy.

-Jeff
SMH! No that crap is long gone, I can honestly say there isn't any on this truck, yet!! We will see how the rear quarter section goes.
Old April 26th, 2013, 07:33 AM
Rocky
Chris
72 + D1 drivetrain

Aw crap. We've all been there.
Sometimes when you spent too much time on the trail it's like being in the sun.
You get burnt!

I don't know about the brakes, only their unreliability.
Old April 26th, 2013, 08:05 AM
crown14
Verticalscrote
Volkswagen Super Beetle
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Oh wow!
Old April 26th, 2013, 08:08 AM
Brewie212
Brian Kandefer

Quote:
Originally Posted by crown14 View Post
Oh wow!
Haha, I know right! It happened about an hour after I talked to you.
Old April 26th, 2013, 08:25 AM
AmityD90
Gery
1987 ROW D90

Registry
Stuff like that will eventually happen anyways. The first dent is always the hardest to take. After that it gets easier. Sucks but looking at your build thread, those dents can be "healed" if you really wanted to. There's always stickers you can put in the meantime. You've got a great rig and a positive attitude. That's what counts most!
Old April 26th, 2013, 08:33 AM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
A defender in every driveway-motto
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
I must say your attutude about it being your best trail ride every is outstanding. I'd be so pissed @ myself that I'd get all twisted up and not have any fun with the adversity.

Dividing Creek Imports
Worldwide Vehicle Shipment and Importation Service
Restoration & Modification work

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old April 26th, 2013, 08:43 AM
Brewie212
Brian Kandefer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Douglas View Post
I must say your attutude about it being your best trail ride every is outstanding. I'd be so pissed @ myself that I'd get all twisted up and not have any fun with the adversity.
If I had gotten pissed it would have made the whole situation a lot worse, I had no choice but to embrace the situation, with no brakes and no lights I really could of f'd up my rig even more, along with myself! Can't change the past only try and control the future!!!
Old April 26th, 2013, 09:26 AM
sonoronos
Ed
None

Registry
Sorry to see the damage, Brewie! At least you have pictures of before the damage happened. It looks like you can hammer most of it out, and replace the front wing. Still, I know it probably hurts

Quote:
little did I know I should have just packed up and left.
It was exactly this that caused me to dislocate my shoulder 14 years ago...one last snowboarding run in Michigan turned into 6 months of physical therapy and 1 year of recovery! That was my first and only lesson that the best way to have a good time is to know when to leave!
Old April 26th, 2013, 09:36 AM
Brewie212
Brian Kandefer

It was exactly this that caused me to dislocate my shoulder 14 years ago...one last snowboarding run in Michigan turned into 6 months of physical therapy and 1 year of recovery! That was my first and only lesson that the best way to have a good time is to know when to leave![/QUOTE]

Crazy! In 2004 in college I was doing some dirt jumps on my heckler on my way to the trail head! I said to myself one more good one and I will roll out! Next thing I know my girlfriend (who is now my wife) was picking me up on the side of the road with a broken clavicle and separated shoulder! My mom was right about one thing, Ill NEVER LEARN!! my motto is "I may grow old but I will never grow up!"
Old April 26th, 2013, 09:47 AM
TravelerBT
Philip Marshall
none - :*(

Registry
rhino line everything... Easy to fix and cheap (er) to apply

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Build-up's, Projects & Registry Profiles > Truck Build-up's & Restores