SIII/RRC 100" Hybrid - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Build-up's, Projects & Registry Profiles > Truck Build-up's & Restores

Old August 21st, 2013, 10:02 PM
SS350
Michael
73/91 100" Hybrid

SIII/RRC 100" Hybrid

Recently joined this forum after picking up a 100" Hybrid built by a local wheeler a few years back and figured I'd start a thread highlighting my plans. Some of the New England members may recognize it like this...

The previous owner purchased it, painted it white (see thread), and then set about to make a extended cab trayback (flatbed in state-side lingo).

I had followed the original build thread where a '91 RRC Great Divide chassis became the underpinnings for a capable coiler '73 Series III 88" wagon. Wheelin pics from original build for fun... http://s923.photobucket.com/user/gt3...?sort=3&page=1

Profile shot showing orientation of Body on chassis with wheels at the corners..

Specs from ad: 1991 RRC GDE #1 is the build platform has OME springs front and terrafirma HD shocks. Has a 3.9 injected engine with Ford ignition, Ford injectors, cut velocity stacks,4.2l comp, Saudi tune resistor, advanced timing, custom exhaust no cats y'd into 3inch all mandrel bent and high exit out the side. Auto Trans in great shape!! Clean fluid shifts good. Has quiet LT230 out of a 99 DII shifts in and out of hi/low/lock very easy. Front and rear axles have series diffs converted to run 24spline axles. Rear axle has true-trac , front open. Have spare shafts to go with it.

I've found some really good Hybrid info digging around on various Rover forums... Defendersource, Devon4x4, aulro... and some on Pirate... long term I'm leaning towards a D90 windshield, tub and ROW soft top i think with the placement of the bulkhead relative to the front axle being farther back then normal on this hybrid I could end up with a non-comp cut that uses 90" tops - could have similar proportions to this... 100" wb in a 90 body (ony a 7.1" difference from stock)

from http://www.defendersource.com/forum/...=21283&page=14

short term i need to repair the seat box, floor, bulkhead, and get another dash set-up together to monitor the engine's vitals as well as wire all lights again (PO cut the harness to all but the motor in order to re-wire).. plenty to do once i complete and sell a different project car... for now it runs and drives...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old August 21st, 2013, 10:24 PM
SS350
Michael
73/91 100" Hybrid

Current State

Current condition...
Old August 22nd, 2013, 08:47 AM
SS350
Michael
73/91 100" Hybrid

This fall the search for a new 109 or 90" tub will start, I may stop by Overland Engineering to see if they have any parts as I think that is where the 73 originally came from. Until then I'm just researching how these Rovers go together, checking into parts I don't have (inner fender wells, floor screws) and getting a feel for which vendors have the best quality replacement seat box and floor panels.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old August 22nd, 2013, 09:22 AM
Rocky
Chris
72 + D1 drivetrain

You're so close to having a trayback/extended cab......

I don't know about the brakes, only their unreliability.
Old August 23rd, 2013, 05:33 PM
SS350
Michael
73/91 100" Hybrid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocky View Post
You're so close to having a trayback/extended cab......
Right, I considered it but am aiming for a more family friendly wheeler/street truck.
Old August 23rd, 2013, 06:06 PM
revtor
Steve Maietta
1969 IIA 88" Bugeye

Registry
are you going to extend the wheelbase at all or keep the rear overhang as is?
Old August 26th, 2013, 12:51 AM
rwollschlager
Rob Wollschlager
72 SIII 88

Registry
Glad to see this truck will be back on the road!
I know it and its former owner/builder pretty well, heck that's my series III and I in the background of that first pic, taken at the Deer Lake Rally in Killingworth CT.

To those interested, this is actually #1 of the Great Divide edition RRC's.

Good luck with the build!

-Rob
Old August 26th, 2013, 06:31 AM
junkyddog11
oil soaked filter
95 RRC 300tdi

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwollschlager View Post
Glad to see this truck will be back on the road!
I know it and its former owner/builder pretty well, heck that's my series III and I in the background of that first pic, taken at the Deer Lake Rally in Killingworth CT.

To those interested, this is actually #1 of the Great Divide edition RRC's.

Good luck with the build!

-Rob
Not sure that the #1 GDE is that relevant anymore lol.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
new expansion complete. Not only are we the only Rover shop in Eliot Maine...now we're also the biggest.

"Dedicated to the resurrection of junk through engineering?"
Old August 28th, 2013, 12:08 AM
SS350
Michael
73/91 100" Hybrid

Overhang / wheelbase

Quote:
Originally Posted by revtor View Post
are you going to extend the wheelbase at all or keep the rear overhang as is?
My plan would be to shorten the extended frame rails back to mount either an shortened 109 or std 90 tub. Just planning on locating a tub locally (I've seen a few for sale on here for reasonable $$ but would require shipping) and spending some time on it this winter.
Old September 6th, 2013, 03:14 PM
SS350
Michael
73/91 100" Hybrid

Quote:
Originally Posted by junkyddog11 View Post
Not sure that the #1 GDE is that relevant anymore lol.
Nope!! I agree.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Build-up's, Projects & Registry Profiles > Truck Build-up's & Restores

Tags
siii