RRC chassis to build a defender - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Build-up's, Projects & Registry Profiles > Truck Build-up's & Restores

Old January 9th, 2015, 10:45 PM
Toughy
Chris
95 Yellow ST

RRC chassis to build a defender

Couldn't find it in search but curious if it's possible to use a RRC SWB or lwb rolling chassis, then insert the defender body?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old January 9th, 2015, 11:48 PM
Toughy
Chris
95 Yellow ST

A 100" like this?

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2373024534.jpg
Views:	162
Size:	88.9 KB
ID:	110526

I have an LWB and access to access to give or take the body itself. I was always under the impression the LWB and 109" wore the same shoes and the SWB, Disco and D90 shared the same? So it's the mounts and structure that's different or the entire frame overall?
Old January 9th, 2015, 11:49 PM
Toughy
Chris
95 Yellow ST

Oops that's like an 80" or something lol I guess the example would be an LWB version with a chopped tail? That what you mean?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old January 10th, 2015, 01:40 AM
psykokid
Jake
1997 Disco

90 is exactly that, 90" wheelbase.. SWB RRC's and Disco 1's are 100" wheelbase. 110's are 110" wheelbase and the RRC LWB is 108". You can do it, been done lots of times across the pond and there are a few on this side as well. You just have remove some stuff from the RRC/Disco chassis and add some stuff that it doesn't have.

A 110 Body on a LWB RRC chassis would probably be closer aesthetically than a 90 body on a RRC/Disco Chassis.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old January 10th, 2015, 02:35 AM
headdamage
Andrew
exmod 90 2.5na and a 93/RRC 200tdi

90's are 92.5"
Old January 10th, 2015, 07:04 AM
o2batsea
Bill Adams
66 109 sw 94 lwb

Registry
I think people put out ideas like this so that they will get talked out of it. Usually the project makes no sense from any practical standpoint. Like it would cost twice as much as any resulting vehicle would be worth for one thing. That's irrelevant tho. For the ones who are truly devoted to the idea, they will move forward regardless.

Whatever you decide will be right for you. You may end up with an amazing vehicle or a loose collection of parts.

1966 109 5 door wagon 300Tdi "spermaceti fueled"
1994 RRC LeWiB "ruining the air behind me"
1968 2A 88

All my troubles are Rover
Old January 10th, 2015, 08:00 AM
BigWalker
Pete Ricci
1965 Series 109 V8 Automatic

Registry
I have to agree with Bill. Now that we are closing in on completing the chassis change on my 109 ( Disco collier chassis) I have a whole new appreciation for what is entailed. With out the direct help of a very experienced person this project would have languished or worse ended up a very expensive major pile of parts.

So I ask why do you want to use RRC/Disco frame on a Defender? It is only cheaper if you have the chassis.

The simple answer is yes it can be done...but it is far from simple. IMO if I owned a defender I would buy a new chassis and replace the old one
Old January 11th, 2015, 02:08 PM
Toughy
Chris
95 Yellow ST

Thanks for the info guys, was hoping the build was a little more straightforward. The reason I'm asking is that I have a perfectly suitable donor LWB with good suspension and drivetrain and access to a yard full of Series panels and parts.

So since I already have another RRC my thought or should I say hope, was to build a 110 or take the top off and make a convertible Rover which is obviously easier... But rovers are like an erector set for adults and love the idea of a 110 hybrid
Old January 11th, 2015, 03:40 PM
blueleader
Doug Shipman
67 hybrid

It's all about, what you have time, capability, and $$ for. I like to say.."if I had the money I wouldn't need the time and if I had the time I wouldn't need the money" My favorite and long time play rig is built on a 1972 RR chassis. Cut 10inches out of the middle and made a True 90 out of my 67-88. D90's are not 90inches. I have also welded on all spring mounts and needed stuff on a 109 to make a coil rig. Turned out great, but wouldn't do-it again, and I have the facility to do it. There are many of the proper frames out there if you are not in a hurry for it and it will save time and money in the long run, unless you have the time a place to do-it.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Build-up's, Projects & Registry Profiles > Truck Build-up's & Restores