Resurrecting Elliott - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Build-up's, Projects & Registry Profiles > Truck Build-up's & Restores

Old November 15th, 2012, 05:36 PM
Fred Lobster
Pete Gerbine, III
1993 110 (#451)

Registry
Resurrecting Elliott

Elliott was built up, by a previous board member, back in '08, for a VDE (Vehicle Dependent Expedition). It appears that after his 5,000 mile journey, the owner at the time, decided to go a different direction and sold it. It looks like there was a breif owner before the guy I bought it from and re-titled it in '09. From the date of the title in '09 to the date I purchased it (09/12), there had only been 78 miles on it. I've had to replace the fuel tank, pump and sender...so far, as they had rotted from just sitting outside at the farm. Having wanted a 110 for years, I am having a blast learning and finding little things, here and there, about this truck. I think it rides better than my Disco! It is definitely the head turner and I think he's gonna like his new home here in Texas!

(sorry, but I guess I'm doing something wrong and not able to insert pics when i hit the "Manage Attachments" button in the "additional options" section. I was able to post a couple of pics in the "registry", though)

Pete
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old November 15th, 2012, 07:47 PM
rijosho
Joshua
1995 Black ST - Rhinolined edition
Research Assistant/Eagle Eyes

Registry
Did you ever figure out why it had a total loss and salvage on the title? Congrats - most of us here know and love this truck! Did you find it for sale here, or somewhere else?
Old November 15th, 2012, 08:48 PM
Fred Lobster
Pete Gerbine, III
1993 110 (#451)

Registry
Thanks! Really excited about it! I did see it here and possiby in another forum, as well. As for the title, it was clear, and I haven't found any signs or evidence on the truck that raise a red flag as to why there would be an issue with it. My new Texas title should arrive in a few weeks and I'll let you know if anything pops up there. Not sure what it could be, though...everything lines up and tracks very well. If anyone here has any info they could share, regarding this matter, please send it my way...not that it would change the way I feel about this truck, though.

I'm glad to be a part of the Defender community and can't wait to learn more about this truck.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old November 15th, 2012, 09:16 PM
woldd90
Scott
1997 D90 ST #1444
Site Team

Who was the previous owner or at least, what states has it lived?

Old November 15th, 2012, 09:27 PM
rijosho
Joshua
1995 Black ST - Rhinolined edition
Research Assistant/Eagle Eyes

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred Lobster View Post
If anyone here has any info they could share, regarding this matter, please send it my way...not that it would change the way I feel about this truck, though.
Here's the AutoCheck.

http://www.fordofkirkland.com/autoch...DH1289PA921813

Bobcat110 here may know something about what caused the salvage back in the day as it went through his hands.

Quote:
Originally Posted by woldd90 View Post
Who was the previous owner or at least, what states has it lived?
Think of the most awesome 110 ad here ever, haha - the guy also owned one of Schumacher's F1 cars.
Old November 15th, 2012, 10:59 PM
Fred Lobster
Pete Gerbine, III
1993 110 (#451)

Registry
Thanks for the AutoCheck...interesting info. The guy I bought the truck from titled it in VA in '09...and apparently went overseas and the truck sat at a farm around Gun Barrel City, here in Texas, for a few years...as he now lives in San Antonio. Not sure how much time it spent in VA, but as I stated earlier, only 78 miles were put on it from that time, til the time I bought it.

Having it sitting outside for so long was not the ideal situation and it did take its toll on a few things, but so far I'm just chipping away at issues as I go along. I enjoy driving the truck everyday now and can't stand to park it for too long to tackle too many projects at once.

Two things that I need to address pretty quick are:
1) A cracked dust cap on the rear axle with oil leaking out...hub seals??
2) Transfer case linkage...not been able to engage low or Diff Lock yet...

There are other issues that I'll get to later...but it sounds like that is part of the fun of owning one of these.

And yeah, I did see that awesome ad with some great pics that Anil wrote up in'08...that was an exciting find after I bought the truck.
Old November 16th, 2012, 03:41 AM
Rocky
Chris
72 + D1 drivetrain

T box: probably just seized up linkage from lack if use. First stop: do a really nice long fun and get everything really hot under there from simple driving. Now try and see if you can get it moving to low or diff lock.

I don't know about the brakes, only their unreliability.
Old November 28th, 2012, 02:47 PM
Fred Lobster
Pete Gerbine, III
1993 110 (#451)

Registry
Well, I was able to get the linkage freed up and able to shift into low range. I tested it by just idling up a pretty steep incline to see how far it would go before stalling. It climbed up very well but eventually lost traction and the front left and rear right tires continued to lurch forward without any more forward movement. I then backed down the hill, attempted to engage the Diff Lock and repeat the test to see if I could tell a difference. The Diff Lock light never came on (bulb is good) and again, lost traction with only the front left and rear right pulling.

I guess my question is this: When in Diff Lock, shouldn't all 4 wheels be spinning at the same time when traction is lost? With the light not coming on, and only 2 wheels spinning, I'm hoping that I just haven't fully engaged the diff lock yet.

I am, however, very pleased with the low range in this truck. It never stalled out on me while idling up and I with a little momentum, I did make it up the incline without any problems.
Old November 28th, 2012, 02:51 PM
leastonce
Jason England
D-90 White 95 SW #65
Site Team

Registry
The diff lock just locks front to rear ... so basically each axel can still have a wheel rotating independently from the other
Cat Camping Collective founding member and Chief Executive Officer
Old November 28th, 2012, 03:06 PM
Fred Lobster
Pete Gerbine, III
1993 110 (#451)

Registry
Other than the indicator light, is there a way to test it to see if it is functioning properly?
Old November 28th, 2012, 03:22 PM
Rocky
Chris
72 + D1 drivetrain

Lift all four wheels off the ground.

Now with diff lock off put it in gear. One wheel only will turn.

Now lock the diff. One front and one rear will turn

I don't know about the brakes, only their unreliability.
Old November 28th, 2012, 04:17 PM
Fred Lobster
Pete Gerbine, III
1993 110 (#451)

Registry
Thanks!...I'll let you know how it turns out.
Old November 28th, 2012, 06:30 PM
mikeslandrover
Mike Hammond
110 200Tdi and a 2005 Scorpa SY250

Registry
If the diff lock is working the tyres will scrabble about if you make a tight turn on dirt, try the same thing on a sealed surface and the steering wheel will develop a life all of it's own. This is normal. Them you'll probably find the stored torque in the gearbox will prevent you disengaging the diff lock driving in reverse usually frees things off. Failing that, jack one wheel up and that will release the torque.
Enjoy the truck.
Check out the reason for the light not working...it's good if it does work.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Build-up's, Projects & Registry Profiles > Truck Build-up's & Restores