Restoration & ST>SW Conversion of our '95 NAS Defender 90 (used parts to come) - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Build-up's, Projects & Registry Profiles > Truck Build-up's & Restores

Old May 2nd, 2014, 02:32 AM
BrianMD
Brian Mark
1995 Defender 90 NAS

Registry
Smile Restoration & ST>SW Conversion of our '95 NAS Defender 90 (used parts to come)

Restored and ready to hit the Jersey Shore! Thank you to all the board members that have been kind enough to share your knowledge & assistance along the way

After years of faithful & dutiful service - from gas-guzzling snowboard trips in blizzard conditions to Vermont, off-road adventures in the Pine Barrens, from top-down beach day runs in the sun to helping my dad uproot trees in his backyard, I thought it was time to restore the 'ole boy'. It was a labor of love to revive an old friend...and
10-months later and he's good to go.

When I first started this project, I did not fully realize what other owners meant in posts that a project like this - particularly the ST > SW conversion, would be a money pit. Between the shipping/freighting parts from around the US and UK, figuring what parts were needed, and discovering countless 'unforseen' issues (read:costly) along the way, it's definitely not for the faint of heart/wallet.

I've had this truck since 1995 and it's been a good friend to me over the years, so this labor of love was worth every penny. Hoping I'll get to pass it down to our future son (knock on wood).

Just thought I'd share some Before and After Photos. I will be posting left over and take-off parts for sale shortly, just have to get them cleaned up and photographed. Wheels, tires, rear bench, front seats, bull bar (that I bought from another member but did not use), steering wheel, etc. (not the ST parts however, as I'll be switching back and forth for summers).
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2014-05-02 at 12.46.18 AM.jpg
Views:	289
Size:	98.0 KB
ID:	94089   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2014-05-02 at 12.49.45 AM.jpg
Views:	273
Size:	77.7 KB
ID:	94090  

Name:	Screen Shot 2014-05-02 at 1.25.00 AM.jpg
Views:	273
Size:	75.8 KB
ID:	94091   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2014-05-02 at 12.55.57 AM.jpg
Views:	287
Size:	88.6 KB
ID:	94092  

Name:	Screen Shot 2014-05-02 at 1.16.35 AM.jpg
Views:	256
Size:	34.3 KB
ID:	94093   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2014-05-02 at 1.10.54 AM.jpg
Views:	270
Size:	80.0 KB
ID:	94094  

Name:	Screen Shot 2014-05-02 at 1.08.27 AM.jpg
Views:	271
Size:	61.1 KB
ID:	94095   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2014-05-02 at 1.00.54 AM.jpg
Views:	260
Size:	66.4 KB
ID:	94096  

Name:	defender range.jpg
Views:	280
Size:	136.1 KB
ID:	94097   Click image for larger version

Name:	interior rear.jpg
Views:	252
Size:	58.5 KB
ID:	94098  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 2nd, 2014, 07:26 AM
flananuts
Matthew
LRC Customs #003 D110 Soft Top

Registry
Nice ride. Where are you on the jersey Shore?
Old May 2nd, 2014, 07:51 AM
rijosho
Joshua
1995 Black ST - Rhinolined edition
Research Assistant/Eagle Eyes

Registry
Wow nice job! What are you going to do about seating in the back? Is the 5 bar covering in the back black? I've seen the silver 5 bar back there before and it looked verrrrry bright in the sun.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 2nd, 2014, 09:12 AM
Daddymow
Raub A.
1987 D110 Tithonus

Registry
Well done!
Old May 2nd, 2014, 11:53 AM
NPT90
JT
D90 óriginalé

Registry
What's the going rate for a nudge bar setup these days? Good looking truck
Old May 2nd, 2014, 11:58 AM
101stAirborne
Battle Ewing
1997 D90 LE 255/300

Registry
That nudge bar looks really good!
Old May 2nd, 2014, 12:12 PM
leastonce
Jason England
D-90 White 95 SW #65
Site Team

Registry
What did you do with the ST roll bar? Hopefully you kept it to allow a convert back in the future!
Cat Camping Collective founding member and Chief Executive Officer
Old May 2nd, 2014, 12:17 PM
rijosho
Joshua
1995 Black ST - Rhinolined edition
Research Assistant/Eagle Eyes

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianMD View Post
not the ST parts however, as I'll be switching back and forth for summers
Now that it's almost Summer, when is the hard top coming off and the ST going back on? Will you be doing the switch over each season or having it done elsewhere?
Old May 2nd, 2014, 12:18 PM
tim
Timothy Homewood
Defender 50th going topless

Good job!

Good job! ironically I am doing the reverse job starting this weekend, and faced, as you with a load parts from different eras, countries and models that may, but probably will not exactly fit. I'll post some pics as the saga unfolds. To make it a little more difficult, I am neither in the US or UK, rathe Hong Kong ..should you roll cage parts or the trim bits above the windshield would be great to hear from you.

Cheers, Tim
Old May 2nd, 2014, 06:16 PM
BrianMD
Brian Mark
1995 Defender 90 NAS

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by flananuts View Post
Nice ride. Where are you on the jersey Shore?
Matt - I'm in Asbury Park . . . you from around here?
Old May 2nd, 2014, 06:27 PM
BrianMD
Brian Mark
1995 Defender 90 NAS

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by rijosho View Post
Wow nice job! What are you going to do about seating in the back? Is the 5 bar covering in the back black? I've seen the silver 5 bar back there before and it looked verrrrry bright in the sun.
Hey Josh! Thanks, that means a lot coming from you. I know you've done some nice work with your Defender. As far as the 5-Bar/Chequer Plating, it's a matte black powder coat, similar to the wing top protectors, so hopefully I won't get that sun glare you're referring to.

------ Follow up post added May 2nd, 2014 06:31 PM ------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jtomchik View Post
What's the going rate for a nudge bar setup these days? Good looking truck
For that nudge bar/a-bar (part number VPLPP0061), I picked it up from LR Direct @ 607 pounds, which works out to about $1017. This is the version that will accept a winch install...they do have a 'no-winch' version as well.

------ Follow up post added May 2nd, 2014 06:35 PM ------

Quote:
Originally Posted by leastonce View Post
What did you do with the ST roll bar? Hopefully you kept it to allow a convert back in the future!
Jason - I've safely stored the ST Roll bar/parts for future conversion back and forth
Old May 2nd, 2014, 06:41 PM
Jymmiejamz
Jimmy
1995 D90 SW #365

Registry
That looks great! You did a really good job of modernising it in a tasteful way without 20" rims and LED's everywhere.
Old May 2nd, 2014, 06:42 PM
BrianMD
Brian Mark
1995 Defender 90 NAS

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by rijosho View Post
Now that it's almost Summer, when is the hard top coming off and the ST going back on? Will you be doing the switch over each season or having it done elsewhere?
I think for this summer I'm just going to leave the hard top on. It took so long to get it finally right that I figure I'll enjoy it for a bit. Not sure how involved the conversion back is going to be...but from what I understand from other members that have done it, should take a better part of a weekend?
Old May 2nd, 2014, 06:43 PM
flananuts
Matthew

Registry
Brian, did I just see your truck at Tom's shop in Fair Haven? I live just down the road from there. It looks like your passenger seat is more left than centered. Did I see that right? Looked great from far and then up close.
Old May 2nd, 2014, 06:48 PM
airbornrover
William Skidmore
SIII 109 SW

It is some nice work done. What shop did you have the work done at? There are a few guys around the shore that have 90's and 110's, some more guys that own series as well. Theres a British car show every year in Ocean Grove in September. Been getting more and more cars so if you wanted to show off yours, you need to get your entry now. Its held by the local British car club. Land rover Monmouth sponsors a rover section. There are a few clubs in the area and region if your ever interested, they are njlr (has a meet 1st weds of every month up in parsipanny now, was in bridgewater but the place closed up), nelrc (no regular meets but fun outings and gatherings) , r.o.v.e.r.s. club ( based more out of PA but covers NJ,NY, DE, and MD) and the boost club out of NYC (meets are held at bars in different locals, usually Manhattan or Brooklyn.
Old May 2nd, 2014, 07:58 PM
BrianMD
Brian Mark
1995 Defender 90 NAS

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by flananuts View Post
Brian, did I just see your truck at Tom's shop in Fair Haven? I live just down the road from there. It looks like your passenger seat is more left than centered. Did I see that right? Looked great from far and then up close.
Ha, yes! It's at Foreign Cars for electrical work. I actually stopped by today for an update with Tom...the passenger side seat was off center because he had to unbolt it to get access to the seat box.

Wait, you don't happen to drive an Defender Cab in white/green do you? One passed me in Fairhaven today while I was on my way to Toms.
Old May 2nd, 2014, 09:46 PM
ssi19
scott
1995/D90

Nice job. She's beautiful.
Old May 3rd, 2014, 06:45 AM
flananuts
Matthew

Registry
Hey Brian, thats me. I'll PM you my contact info.
Old May 5th, 2014, 12:28 PM
BrianMD
Brian Mark
1995 Defender 90 NAS

Registry
Hi Will!

I'd love to join up with some of the other Defender-heads in the area.

I also printed up the entry form for that car show in Ocean Grove that you mentioned. Looks like there have been some pretty amazing cars there over the past few years. I'll try my best to get my Defender completely sorted by then so I can do the Defender folks proud.

I see that you're off of Exit 105. What does your Defender look like...I might have seen you around. (do you happen to be that hardtop right-hand drive d90 that I see in Red Bank and Home Depot-Neptune?)

Quote:
Originally Posted by airbornrover View Post
It is some nice work done. What shop did you have the work done at? There are a few guys around the shore that have 90's and 110's, some more guys that own series as well. Theres a British car show every year in Ocean Grove in September. Been getting more and more cars so if you wanted to show off yours, you need to get your entry now. Its held by the local British car club. Land rover Monmouth sponsors a rover section. There are a few clubs in the area and region if your ever interested, they are njlr (has a meet 1st weds of every month up in parsipanny now, was in bridgewater but the place closed up), nelrc (no regular meets but fun outings and gatherings) , r.o.v.e.r.s. club ( based more out of PA but covers NJ,NY, DE, and MD) and the boost club out of NYC (meets are held at bars in different locals, usually Manhattan or Brooklyn.
Old May 6th, 2014, 09:05 AM
airbornrover
William Skidmore
SIII 109 SW

Afraid not, I have to get around to changing my location as I moved recently and my folks still live there with the 90. Red with a black rag top. Spare tire on the hood and no spare tire mount on the back. Also have a 109 SW with little paint on it.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Build-up's, Projects & Registry Profiles > Truck Build-up's & Restores

Tags
defender, conversion, parts, defender 90, nas, 90, part, restoration, 95