Defender Source Forum banner

Repaint

Tags
paint
2K views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  Rocky 
#1 ·
Hi all! Newbie here. I recently purchased 1985 D90 (Cambrian Grey / Slate Grey).

I've initiated the restoration process and considering changing the original paint to a different color. By doing this, would this lower the value of my truck in the event I decide to sell in the future?

Everything was removed from the truck body and will be professionaly painted with PPG paint.

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

#3 ·
So you've completely disassembled the entire body already? Just an exterior spray will leave many traces of the old (engine bay, under teh hood, floor panels, seatbox, bulkhead...) which IMO is just plain cheap. If by pro you mean completely disassembled, then yeah go for it if you really want a diff color.

#4 · (Edited)
To each their own but I agree with the Parts Ninja and Paul. I would keep it original. It took 20-something years to get that patina. A new-looking Defender just doesn't look right to me unless it's a Puma with the new trim. Or in my case, the truck has 5 different colors on it :). But, if you do decide to repaint it, do what Paul says. You gotta take everything off, otherwise it just looks cheap. Good luck!

#5 ·
Thanks all! Yes everything was removed and will be done professionally. Entire body was removed from the frame. 200tdi engine removed as well. All interior components removed.

I'm still unsure of any interior upgrades. I've seen updated dashboards but not sure of the complications of doing this and how easy to acquire the pieces.

I suppose I'm trying to update the overall look of the truck. I'll post some photos I found to show the updates I'm looking for.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.