re-drilling the swivel balls - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Build-up's, Projects & Registry Profiles > Truck Build-up's & Restores

Old August 4th, 2008, 09:40 AM
slorocco
Dan Prasada-Rao
1963, 109 Station Wagon

re-drilling the swivel balls

Finally fired up the Cummins 4BT that's sitting between the frame rails on my 109 five door. Now it's on to the rest of the drive train.

I'm also going spring over at the same time. And will need to adjust the pinion angle accordingly.

Has anyone on this board use RoverTym for redrilling their swivel balls? Are you satisfied with the work. I was a bit concerned about the accuracy/tolerances.
I hope to post some pics of the project next weekend. Other things that are going in to this.

Cummins 4BT
SM420 Transmission
Divorced mounted LT230
Salisbury Axles Front and Rear
Spring over suspension with 88" rear springs on the front
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old August 4th, 2008, 09:12 PM
TDI Guy
Randy
2015 LR4
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Lets see some pix
Old August 4th, 2008, 10:06 PM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
A defender in every driveway-motto
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
I have a friend who has the castor corrected swivel balls on his disco with 5 inches of lift and 35s. He said the truck drives great and tracks straight @ 75 mph. Kicked my 110 around pretty good @ Pearls Pond in June.....

Dividing Creek Imports
Worldwide Vehicle Shipment and Importation Service
Restoration & Modification work

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old August 5th, 2008, 08:28 AM
slorocco
Dan Prasada-Rao
1963, 109 Station Wagon

I'll try to get some pix up this week. It's torn down pretty far so there's not much to see as far as a finished product yet.

Doug, thanks for the feedback. I may try that. I'm considering two options, one is the castor corrected swivel balls the other is to re drill the flanges on the ends of the axle tubes. The second method would allow the use of stock swivels.

I have to laugh at the 75mph thing. With my drive train, this thing will be stump puller but it will probably never make it over 55mph.
Old August 5th, 2008, 07:08 PM
DEF110
Vern Lawrence
1983/ 110

What is your drive train behind the Cummins 4BT? what sort of adapter are you using for trans?
Old August 7th, 2008, 03:01 PM
slorocco
Dan Prasada-Rao
1963, 109 Station Wagon

I found a 4BT that came out of a 1989 Chevy P30 stepvan. It already had the chevy adapter, flywheel, starter, and clutch.

The stock tranny behind it was an SM465 but that was gone. I'm using an SM420 that I already had laying around. It bolted right up.

The LT230 is divorced with a little stubby driveshaft running to it from the SM420. From there I'm running into salisbury series truck axles front and rear with stock 4.7:1 gearing.
Old August 9th, 2008, 06:05 PM
cellulararrest
Chris Snyder
1994 D90 #614 | '07 L322 SC

What is the difference/benefit to redrilling the swivel balls rather than getting corrected radius arms?
Old August 10th, 2008, 06:23 AM
junkyddog11
oil soaked filter
95 RRC 300tdi

Quote:
Originally Posted by cellulararrest
What is the difference/benefit to redrilling the swivel balls rather than getting corrected radius arms?
Keeping a good pinion angle.

new expansion complete. Not only are we the only Rover shop in Eliot Maine...now we're also the biggest.

"Dedicated to the resurrection of junk through engineering?"
Old August 14th, 2008, 08:50 AM
slorocco
Dan Prasada-Rao
1963, 109 Station Wagon

Quote:
The way I see it, using the radius arms maintains the angle/relationship between the pinion and the caster. Redrilling the swivel balls allows you to re-orient your pinion angle and then re-establish the correct caster angle.
Old September 26th, 2008, 05:00 PM
mikeslandrover
Mike Hammond
110 200Tdi and a 2005 Scorpa SY250

Registry
Quote:
Ah... I think we're talking leaf springs....109" is a series truck.
But I might be wrong
Old October 22nd, 2008, 06:54 PM
ukoffroad
Chuck Yarbrough
67 IIA

did it with my 5" springs, drives normally again. Not sure about RTE since it sold, but Jordan was with Steve for a while so I assume the process is still the same.
Old October 23rd, 2008, 11:56 AM
slorocco
Dan Prasada-Rao
1963, 109 Station Wagon

Yup, I talked to the new owners of RTE at the Mid Atlantic Rally. They still offer the service. I'm going to run them as is for now and see how it does. I've got the stock axle set in place with about 4 degrees of caster. The pinion is pointing lower than i want but I'll see how it does before I disassemble the front axle and have the swivel balls drilled.

I am running a leafer here with the axle moved to a spring over configuration with the springs bolted on top of the axle tubes instead of below. I figure that gave me about a 5.5" lift over stock.

This front Salisbury axle is interesting. It's a leafer axle with the 4.7:1 gearing but it's running CV joints instead of U-joints in the front axle shafts.
Old October 23rd, 2008, 02:52 PM
mikeslandrover
Mike Hammond

Registry
Could the axle be from a stage 1 v8?? They were permanent 4x4 but I can't remember the ratio.
Old October 24th, 2008, 04:36 PM
diesel_jim
Jamie Austin
1992 110 Td5 CSW & 1989 MB G-Wagen

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeslandrover
Could the axle be from a stage 1 v8?? They were permanent 4x4 but I can't remember the ratio.
the stage 1 V8 109" had 3.54:1 diffs (in the rear salisbury as well) and 11" export spec drum brakes on the front.
It also had tracta joints in the front axle, enabling the full time 4wd without any "kick back" through the steering wheel.
Old October 24th, 2008, 05:19 PM
mikeslandrover
Mike Hammond

Registry
Couldn't remember but I suspected 3.54:1. Owned a stage 1 Sandringham Six for a while, it was a monster
Old November 17th, 2008, 11:44 AM
slorocco
Dan Prasada-Rao
1963, 109 Station Wagon

Well, I took it out on the trails for the first time this weekend. This cummins motor has some grunt! As for the front axle, I haven't pulled it apart to see what's really inside there but looking in the oil fill port, it looks like it's got a true CV joint as opposed to some of the other options.

I'm told there's a video posted on you tube at the following link. I'm at work and can't access it from here.

http://www.youtube.com/results?searc...rch_type=&aq=f

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Build-up's, Projects & Registry Profiles > Truck Build-up's & Restores