Defender Source Forum banner

Range Rover Classic Intervention of becoming a parts vehicle

3K views 10 replies 5 participants last post by  Nomar 
#1 ·
Day 1.

I get a call from a friend that say first shot at a parts RIG, I go down to the Rover shop and am like.....I ah can't take parts off of this RIG..cause there is a story here. well I provide a list of items that i would like off of the parts rig and go home. I also mention how much for the whole RIG.

Day 1.5 I go home and evaluate what it will take to make this RIG whole....and try to figure out a way to mention to wifee that I am going to buy another.....wait for it.. Land Rover, we currently have 3 Range Rover Classics ( seriously how does this happen? ) I think wifee laughs and says ah OK, either that or I went to another room to hide...but she seemed cool....

Days 2-3.75 = Alphabet Bay Dreaming and searching

Day 4.

I buy the whole RIG. I proceed to evaluate the necessary repairs required to get the RIG back to it's normal self ( how would you like it if someone boosted your complete sunroof asembly and busted out your quarter window and dented your quarter valance? oh and the RIG seems like it had been in an accident nothing major just bent up bumper, hood, fenders a wee bit....:icon_peace:

Day 4.5 = Alphabet Bay x10

Days 5.0 - Present Day...parts finally start to roll in...until one day.....most all is here....

Saturday cannot arrive soon enough.....and so it begins....I am a Man on a Mission, the RIG knows it. quasi deep cleaning, in-laws stop by and say HY, cool You bought another Project Car...I say something like "Yep I guess we will have to stay in Alaska a bit longer...did I mention my Eastnor Green Rig RRC SWB ( actually it's my 6 year olds, she tells me don't ever sell it DAD! and she means it.

I digress ( apologies )

I remove busted quarter valance, and replace with used / new part...I already feel like "the MAN" except like a wanker I forget that the rear seat belt wound up tight....I just lost Hero status...:facepalm: local Glass guy replaces glass. onwards...next part...

Bumper / Grill / Fog Light deal

minimal drama = Bumper comes off, broken Grille comes off. I then attempt to remove the bolts from the orig chrome bumper...and so it begins....hacksaw to cut thru orig bumper bracket posts on bumper to be able to reuse bumper brackets...and bolts..

after about an hour or so...Victory...new Bumper is installed, new / old Grille is installed then Fog Light time....yeah no...after reattaching blue wire still NO LOVE...:confused

to be continued............:popcorn:

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
Nice to see another one put back on the road. Hate to see these parted as they are getting harder to find on the road. I know of a 1993 LWB begging for a new lease on life maybe I should...nope not gonna say it cause then it is going to happen LOL! I already have too many Rovers.

#3 ·
Nice Tony
I just bought a 89 I'll be working on here in the near future . I like the early big fuel door models .
You should really bring one of those Rangies on a local Rover run . Oh did I mention you are s sick man with all those rovers :) .
Nice looking Rig !

Ed

------ Follow up post added November 19th, 2014 11:05 AM ------

Oh yea I think I have a couple of the factory brush guards laying around in the yard if you would like one . I'm not a fan of them and I give them away so they don't sit around my yard .

#4 ·
Thank ED,

I learned from you to save the ones that can be saved, although I don't have anywhere near your skills I try and most importantly it is rewarding to enjoy these unique vehicles in an a society where so many things have a finite lifespan, plus the interchangeability of components in the older LR's is cool.

I would very much appreciate one of those Brush Guards, ( Eastnor Green Rig is my Daughter's, she is still a kid. )

and definitely include me on a Rover Run...110, 109 look sick...........Congrats

Tony

#5 · (Edited)
Update RRC Window / Door Seals etc

I went ahead and replaced the window rubber moldings with 1 piece replacing the 2 piece torn window sill moldings... feels and looks alot better than the old , torn 2 piece moldings.

Door seals arrived for the RRC today...in one word....AWESOME...I can't wait to install them over the Holiday weekend.....The doors will then seal with that reassuring CA Thunk ala Mercedes Benz...more importantly keep out that nice COLD Alaska air in February. as most of you know door seals for the Range Rover Classic are now obsolete....

I also just finished redyeing the LR Grill, waiting on the Passenger Bumper End Cap...

Cupholder assesment....will install after cubby box repair and shimming center console in aft position opposite coin trays...so closer to box..

found some new foam to replace the broken down intake foam, unfortunately not black so had to dye with non-toxic dye...Kiwi and sourced some new plastic pieces...will finish over the weekend:popcorn:

oh yeah it's a 1990

I will have to tap out the 25 year old screws in the sill...........to replace the driver's side door seals....:thumbs

Attachments

#6 ·
Update RRC intervention of becoming a parts vehicle Thanksgiving wknd

more of a fine tuning....and a realization that working on old cars, OLD English Cars takes time....like even the smallest project takes 4 times as long....but the satisfaction is in the work or the end result. like seriously I get why restorations take TIME....

Aesthetically the front end had suffered a mishap from the previous owner, crushed chrome front bumper bumper WOW new Bumpers are crazy expensive caps squashed..grill same...I had to redye the front grill and the driver's side bumper cap and replaced the passenger one with new... all in all please with the new old stock black Bumper, thanks LOU / DAP:thumb:

Jumbo Washer jets are from a Disco 2, work really good

Mud flap brackets.....oh fun times....90 minutes to remove one bracket,,,,the other three prob...2 hours...rusted bolts from 25 years ago....:danger:

after wire wheeling new brackets I then went to paint using Hammerite, I see that galvanized are now available so will get those for the Eastnor Green Rig. I still can't believe this Rig was going to be parted out....Man that would have been sad....:confused

Creature comforts...2" thick sheep skin cover for the driver, super nice and plush all genuine SS, Alaska winters are long.............8 months....... will require 2 tension straps to completely contour the middle and lower part of cover...:new

ROW Front Rubber mats ( Thanks Jason L. ! )

tomorrow install the rear mudflaps, and wire in a rear backup light on the rear bumper we don't have alot of lights up here and winter is dark...alot

Future Blue RRC project...attempt to use Heat Gun, Dry Ice to pop out the dents in the hood....( previous owner )

Marno ( Rob has been super great to work with in getting me the parts I need to bring this Rig back....and stoked on the lights coming from BILL

I put 2 pictures up of my daughters RRC Eastnor Green Rig, I found this a few years back...
Ed's friend is the reason I was able to find an upper tailgate for her..so I drove a Project Rig to my Father-In Law shop to work on my other Project Rig Blue RRC....I need to grind out the rust in both sills on her and have another friend weld in the replacement pieces...

3rd pic is of when I brought her home...worse for wear....slowly coming back......:popcorn:

:hmm Thank You.........Rover ON.....

Attachments

#8 ·
Update on 90 AK RRC SWB 12-13-2014

DS Gents....I have to send a Big Thanks to Ed Angel for the Genuine RRC BB....Thanks ED:thumb:ED.......I think that I may see KC LED's in my future...those lights are SICK!

I have been wire-brushing it and then applied epoxy primer and then a few topcoats of Black Hammerite.

Refurbed back end of chassis will then go thru while frame in summer....looks good though we don't salt the roads in Alaska :nono

I resealed the driver's passenger rear door with new weatherstripping...came out very well. will reseal the other 3 doors over Christmas break...

found a LR Radio for the Eastnor Green Rig...very cool...

refurbing lampguards for the 95 RRC....

Morning Coffee Cup Holders.....installed....LR Engineering is always ahead of it's time:bow:

I am having so much fun working on my 90 RRC SWB...:popcorn:YEAH Buddy!

Fellow Roverheads...Christmas Break means....Rover Project time........ and James Bond movies......:thumbs

Attachments

#9 ·
Looking good Tony !! Glad you could use that brush guard . Looking forward to checking out your green rover next week .

#10 ·
Range Rover Classic intervention vehicle completed and sold to Land Rover Bro

View attachment 117102 View attachment 117102 Land Rover comrades: apologies for abandoning the thread...The Blue Rover is now complete.

a Huge Thank You to the Good People at Far North Rover up here in Anchorage, Alaska
a Huge Thank You to Robbie at Far North Rover,
a Huge Thank You to ED Angel Steadfast Fabrication

a Huge Thank You to Rob at Mid Atlantic Rover and Off-Road for supplying the critical parts needed to complete the refurb, without his assistance the Blue Rover would not have had a sunroof.

and a BIG Thanks to all the Defender Source Forum members for inspiring me to keep restoring these Awesome Rigs. the next time one of us see a Rig getting ready to get parted out...step back and if at all possible SAVE IT ! I did and it really felt great to be able to help save it from a certain final resting place...and Yes I spent more than I though I would...( who hasn't) but then that is not why we keep at it.

I go bitten by the Land Rover Bug when I was 12 visiting Ecuador and today in my 40's I am still even more stoked on the vintage Land Rover Marque...and value the friendships that I have made as a result of my Lifelong Land Rover Hobby / Obsession...

a Big Thanks to my Family for putting up with all the Ebay pkgs and long hours wrenching on the Blue Rig......very very rewarding.....:thumbs

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.