Question about titles - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Build-up's, Projects & Registry Profiles > Truck Build-up's & Restores

Old January 3rd, 2015, 08:30 PM
rangisrovus19
Logan Hooper
94 D90 #1181 Original owner

Question about titles

Hello everyone, its been awhile since I've been here, but I thought I should educate myself more about something that has been on my mind for awhile now.

Back in 2005 I bought a wrecked 94 D90 from a rover mechanic (in my hometown of Oklahoma) and he rebuilt it from the ground up essentially. From the original parts to ordered OEMs. I owned it for about 3 years before I sold it, and it was a salvage/rebuilt title during my ownership of it. Now, a buddy of mine, who bought a wrecked 97 from the same mechanic, told me his title was not salvage/rebuilt. Is this the case? Can this be? And if so, how? Why was mine technically a rebuilt vehicle while he claims that, under the same guidelines as mine, his was not?

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old January 3rd, 2015, 08:32 PM
jafir
Jafir Elkurd
Flaky Green 198something ex-mod 90

Registry
I don't know about OK but in Arkansas they only issue salvage titles for vehicles less than 10 years old.
Old January 3rd, 2015, 08:51 PM
Rugbier
Gustavo
110 Tdi - 110 N/A - D3 HSE - RRS SC

Registry
A vehicle could be Rebuilt without the Salvage Certificate being issued

If a total loss via insurance or bought at insurance auction, most likely it will be branded

Some other case, where it is bought by the owner from the Insurance Co claim, it isn't

Many states, you could have Previous Salvage also known as Salvage History, and a clean Title
Advertisement

Old January 4th, 2015, 03:58 AM
Blueboy
James Thompson
1994 RR LWB

Registry
When living in Tulsa, OK my Rangie was in an accident and the insurance company declared a total loss; as such it become their property. I purchased the Rover back from them and OK issued a salvage title. My understanding at least for OK at the time was the vehicle had to be totaled before a salvage title was issued. If just wrecked and repairable, then the original title remained in effect.
Old January 4th, 2015, 09:15 AM
Rommel
Rolf
94/95/97 Many

Title

Every state has different protocol for salvage/rebuilt titles not only are you dealing with the state it came from you could also see a change for better or worse when title is transferred to the state where it will be registered,your home state.
Old January 4th, 2015, 11:15 AM
cbfritz_03
Carmen
none

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueboy View Post
When living in Tulsa, OK my Rangie was in an accident and the insurance company declared a total loss; as such it become their property. I purchased the Rover back from them and OK issued a salvage title. My understanding at least for OK at the time was the vehicle had to be totaled before a salvage title was issued. If just wrecked and repairable, then the original title remained in effect.
Have a friend who just went through this here in Tx. His truck was totaled by the insurance co. and he bought it back. The explanation was that because he was the (prior) owner, he was given back a clean title and not a salvage one. The damage was minimal but you know...still totaled by their #s .... I'm not sure if he is the 'original' owner and if that made any difference?
Old January 4th, 2015, 08:47 PM
rangisrovus19
Logan Hooper
94 D90 #1181 Original owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by jafir View Post
I don't know about OK but in Arkansas they only issue salvage titles for vehicles less than 10 years old.
He did mention this, yes, something about the 10 year mark.

------ Follow up post added January 4th, 2015 07:56 PM ------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rommel View Post
Every state has different protocol for salvage/rebuilt titles not only are you dealing with the state it came from you could also see a change for better or worse when title is transferred to the state where it will be registered,your home state.
This as well. From what I remember, the wrecked d90 came from California, which I know has very different title laws than places like Oklahoma. As in, if I remember correctly, salvage vehicles are not even allowed on the road(?).

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Build-up's, Projects & Registry Profiles > Truck Build-up's & Restores