Defender Source Forum banner

Puma Dashboard Swap

54K views 84 replies 43 participants last post by  volleymdut 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
Had a few messages asking how difficult it is to get our Puma Dashboard into an older model Defender, so thought I would post a few pictures to show the process.

Taking the old dash out is very easy as it's just a number of screws and bolts. Top tip here is to mark and number EVERY single wire that you unplug to make it easier to put it all back together again!

With everything out we cleaned up the bulkhead and applied some additional soundproofing.

We wanted to use the original blower/fan so made a bulkhead flange that fits onto the fan outlet. The two outlets connect to 32mm ducting which then feeds the various vents, top and bottom.

Rough idea of how it would look behind the dashboard.

All of the old switches were converted over to new Carling switches. Even the fan control, normally run from a lever, is moved across to a Carling 2 speed switch.

With the bulkhead ready, it's time to install the Puma Dashboard using the same screws and fixings as per the dashboard you took out. Three across the top and two on each side. That's it. The genuine Puma Dashboard from Land Rover would need additional fixings plus a bulkhead bracing bar to stop it from flexing as it's very thin. Ours just bolts in solid using 7 screws.

We retain all the old gauges, just removed them from the old square binnacle and fitted them into our Puma style one. This is when the numbering of the wires comes in handy. :whistling:

Putting a new steering wheel on gave it a completely different feel from the driver's position.

With the center console not yet fitted you can see the pipe ducting to the two lower vents, plus the hot/cold lever, which used to be up on top, but we transferred into the center console complete with the existing cable.

LT77 and R380 gear sticks need to be kinked so as to clear the dashboard, without altering the operation position.

Center console cover starts out as a blank section, which can be cut to suit any configuration for switches, dials and head unit. We decided to fit a Double Din head unit with Sat-Nav and reversing camera.

I know that I've simplified the process quite a lot, but it's really straightforward without having to worry about the electrics, the heater or the fittings. We can now do a conversion in a couple of days no problem. Allow a week for a DIY fit... 🍿

Jonathan

See less See more
#4 · (Edited by Moderator)
Hi Dave,

Made out of GRP, so about twice the thickness of a genuine Tdci dash. They come painted in any colour you want, or you can paint them yourself and the RHD or LHD is no issue as it's exactly the same dashboard for both. We just swap the fittings over and cut out a hole for the steering wheel as per:

Price would be $950 + shipping. That's for the complete dashboard including all the ancillaries, cut to LHD or RHD, painted and with the center console cut to the buyers spec.

Ducting for the heater and the new switches is extra, but they can be sourced anywhere to be fair.

J

------ Follow up post added June 28th, 2017 02:35 PM ------

Do you have complete kits ready to ship?
Yep, all made and ready.

We configure them for LHD or RHD, cut the center console panel and then paint it all before shipping, which can take a couple of days, but they're here and waiting.

#6 ·
Is your dash modular like the tdci one ? Ie can the gauges just as easily be on the left side ?
Kudos on being so innovative.
How low does your dash hang ? is it as low as the tdci dash ? Many stateside require a/c any way to get that worked in ?

Cheers Uncle Douglas !!

Yes, it's modular. Same principle as the original dash.

Sits to the same depth as the Tdci. It's exactly the same dimension, but the Tdci comes pre-formed, so you have all of the side vent holes, speaker holes and fuse box covers to deal with whether you want them or not. Ours is just solid, so you can cut apertures wherever you like.

#9 · (Edited)
I was planning on getting a new Raptor dash and binnacle to put in in the fall but this has really caught my eye.

1. What would the extra cost be for the actuators for the bulk head vents?
  2. The pieces that are painted. Would they only be the pieces that are green (I think that is the color) in the first photo?
  3. Could the upper dash on the passenger side be a small glove box? I have never seen a Puma dash up close so I am not sure if even that one has one.
  4. Are there any possible issues with a current defender dash though could arise when installing this?
  5. Any group buys available? Could you guesstimate what shipping to eastern US be? Is this UPS'able?
I know I am probably crazy and maybe in the minority but even at 6' tall I still think the Puma dash looks good.

Thanks

#10 ·
I was planning on getting a new Raptor dash and binnacle to put in in the fall but this has really caught my eye.
Thanks for the interest, I'll do my best to answer each point individually:

What would the extra cost be for the actuators for the bulk head vents?
We're testing different ones, but I'm expecting the final cost of the electric vent kit to be in the region of $300-350. That's including the pipes and air scoops, plus the switch gear to make it work. It will be available as a retro fit as there's plenty of room to install them even after the Puma Dashboard has been fitted. No need to take the dash out again.

The pieces that are painted. Would they only be the pieces that are green (I think that is the color) in the first photo?
We paint everything including the main dashboard. The green sections were just to demonstrate how a contrasting colour would work. Most people just go for a standard black finish all over.

Could the upper dash on the passenger side be a small glove box? I have never seen a Puma dash up close so I am not sure if even that one has one.
Yes it can. There is a 'glove box kit' for the Puma which is basically a hinge for the existing top panel plus a bit of plastic to make a box. Our dash is exactly the same measurements as the original Tdci. We can easily make a glove box, but don't expect to fit much in there! :)

Are there any possible issues with a current defender dash though could arise when installing this?
Not that we've encountered thus far. As long as you can take out the old dash back to the bulkhead there's nothing to cause an issue.

Any group buys available? Could you guesstimate what shipping to eastern US be? Is this UPS'able?
Group buying might work. I suppose in an ideal world we would have a North American agent to distribute and fit these dashboards. Any takers? ;) In the meantime, we could combine shipping if there was more than one. Shipping would be $250-300.

I know I am probably crazy and maybe in the minority but even at 6' tall I still think the Puma dash looks good.
Well I'm 6 foot 3 inch and I love them, that's why I set out on the quest to make them viable for easy fitting. :embarress

Jonathan

#14 ·
Sorry guys, just really busy with the business so the installation Step 3 hasn't been updated on the site yet.

I will get round to it, plus I want to add some more pictures of the final look as we have improved the finish and detailing on the dashboards since the first one was published.

Work in progress :icon_peace:

------ Follow up post added September 4th, 2017 06:55 PM ------

This is really interesting, but I'd like to here how you would integrate A/C into this. Can you explain?
As most of the AC components are under the bonnet. we would integrate the ducting and pipework to fit the Puma Dashboard. We don't envisage any issues, but as yet no-one has brought an AC model in for a fit....

If there's someone in the UK who wants one of our Puma Dashboards with AC integration then let me know and we'll do free fitting. We can then have a definitive answer. :grin

#20 ·
I can't see why not.

Fitting the dials shouldn't be an issue.

How do they operate? Bearing in mind that the early Defender Speedos were cable driven and they had no Rev counter.

Ground speed radar for the speed and then alternator feed for the revs I presume?

Does it come as a full kit with all of that, plus the actuators for the fuel and temp, etc?

#21 ·
Jonathan,

The Dakota Digital brand instrument clusters have been used in conjunction with GM gen IV/LS style engine swaps on defenders. The kit comes with the corresponding senders and adapters for various engines, or you can get a module to read and display information via the can bus (obd2). The DD cluster is not really necessary for the LS swap but it gives you a little more information in one place than using something like a number of VDO gauges. There's a member who used the cluster I posted a pic of on a Puma dash swap, so maybe it would fit in yours as well.

#30 · (Edited)
We make them to order and 90% of them go out as plain black.

3-4 weeks waiting time right now for the DIY kit.

------ Follow up post added October 17th, 2017 07:57 AM ------

I was in the Pro-Touring scene for a while. They had some issues with actually producing the product. Maybe they got it sorted and are managing the company better...

Dakota Digital still has it on their website.... and the description says the include a template... Maybe they would be willing to email a copy to see if it would fit. It looks like it would blend in great with the Puma dash...

The billet aluminum faceplate is powdercoated flat-black and features intricate machining to create a unique multi-layered look. Measuring in at 16" x 7.25"H

VHX-1200: 1967- 69 Marquez Designs Camaro

It does look nice, but would be too wide to fit based on those measurements.

And it's 'only' $1095.00 :rolleyes

Is it worth it?

We did this one last week using the standard gauges...

#33 ·
I thought the stock Puma gauge cluster would work with an LS if the CanBus adapter was installed?

#37 ·
I'm discussing with Jonathan and we need to work out the shipping to Belize, but will probably pull the trigger on this this week for shipment thru Miami in January.

I'll make sure to post a full install report with pics when I am done. It will be on my 92 D110. As I have A/C & heater there is an additional part that I need to acquire as well. I can't post a link yet, but it is a T7 designs heater/Aircon combination unit.

I'm just trying to figure out options for upholstery and/or painting...

#43 ·
I would be interested.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

#44 ·
Count me as interested on a group buy. I also wanted to know if there was any more info on using the Gen II mini Vintage Air System that Nick mentioned. I have a truck with AC currently but its RHD and doing this dash would be part of a conversion to LHD...but I'm not willing to give up the AC.

#45 ·
With regards to the group buy, I'm still open to this as long as smoeone can arrange a single shipping address. Just let me know and we can work something out happily...

We're currently working on an integrated heater/ac system that runs from one set of controls and is designed to compliment the Puma dash. If you already have AC, then it's probably the underslung EVAP unit, which you can sell on for more than we'd charge for the intergtaed EVAP/HVAC unit.

The rest of the AC is under the bonnet so just a case of plumbing.

JB

#46 ·
So how many of us are interested. I see 3 in the last month.

Also, I'm EXTREMELY interested in the AC/Heat solution as I was already planning on all of the usual upgrades to the heat system without any real hope that it would be adequate.

Any body else want to voice their interest and we can get a real count going.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.