Project "Frank" - The Un-Gaying of a 110 - Page 8 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Build-up's, Projects & Registry Profiles > Truck Build-up's & Restores

Old May 17th, 2010, 09:46 AM
don
Don Bunnell
'86 110 3dr ST

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf Fabrication View Post
Not sure what you mean. Total cost?
Nope - like mental list of new mods to do.

For example going out last time with Ron and seeing his Rockware bumper and his slick custom tire rack I soon wasn't too stoked on my ARB or my stock rear bumper. That and again seeing what lockers can do so I started immediately getting pieces for a new rear axle. And then there is more storage capacity with crap bouncing around...

Your truck is dialed and you come up with some good mods so I was just curious what the next steps were.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 17th, 2010, 11:04 AM
Wolf Fabrication
Sterling Archer
'08 D3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by airbornrover View Post
why the switch over to LHD?
LHD is a long term project, more to keep the wife happy. She cant stand being on the left side (passenger side) with oncoming traffic!

------ Follow up post added May 17th, 2010 11:18 AM ------

Quote:
Originally Posted by don View Post
Nope - like mental list of new mods to do.

For example going out last time with Ron and seeing his Rockware bumper and his slick custom tire rack I soon wasn't too stoked on my ARB or my stock rear bumper. That and again seeing what lockers can do so I started immediately getting pieces for a new rear axle. And then there is more storage capacity with crap bouncing around...

Your truck is dialed and you come up with some good mods so I was just curious what the next steps were.
Ahhh got it. I learned from my D90, so you are right, I did my 110 based on what I liked and disliked.

1. I am going to move the lights on the roll cage back and mount them to the front of the basket with a protective cage aorund them. I bashed them up a lot on this trip.

2. Need to build a belly skid pan or rails. I got high centered a few times and dragged the parking brake drum. Also need to shave the rear trailing arm ears where they hang below the frame.

3. Need to fabricate a better mount to stabilize the transfer case from bouncing side to side (I have nothing)

4. Need to move the CB antenna to the roof for better reception

5. I wish I never sold my Badger seat covers - I need some waterproof seat protection!

6. Tackle the suspension to get better articulation

Other than the minor items above, the truck performed great. I didn't drag the rear end or even touch the rock sliders.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Semper Fi!
Old May 20th, 2010, 08:41 AM
Wolf Fabrication
Sterling Archer
'08 D3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Got item #1 fixed: I moved the lights to the roof rack. I think this makes the truck not only look better, but also gets the lights out of the way of the trees. At least this way the tree limbs can whack the lights, but the lights can't go anywhere. I had planned on building a small protective cage for the lights, but I think that is overkill at this point.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	lights.jpg
Views:	207
Size:	123.9 KB
ID:	27771  

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Semper Fi!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 22nd, 2010, 04:00 PM
Wolf Fabrication
Sterling Archer
'08 D3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Project Guinness

I turned my attention to my lack of side stabilization brackets on the transmission/tcase. This caused a real headache whilst off road as my drivetrain bounced side to side. I thought about trying to source some stock LR brackets, but since I have a Disco TDI installed by a Brit Bubba I figure they most likely wouldn't work.

My solution was to fab up a bracket using a leaf spring poly bushing I had laying around and some 1/4" plate 1 1/4" square stock. This is a more rigid mount so I feel the vibs of the engine whilst it idles, but nothing whilst driving.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	b1.jpg
Views:	162
Size:	203.1 KB
ID:	27861   Click image for larger version

Name:	b2.jpg
Views:	196
Size:	141.0 KB
ID:	27862  

Semper Fi!
Old May 22nd, 2010, 06:03 PM
EWR
Carey
1954 CJ-3B

So, what I'm seeing is your rubber mount directly above your exhaust?.... I believe I would have fashioned the mount differently, however I'm sure you were preoccupied with using the word "whilst".....

------ Follow up post added May 22nd, 2010 06:05 PM ------

Are you English?
Old May 22nd, 2010, 06:30 PM
Wolf Fabrication
Sterling Archer
'08 D3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by EWR View Post
So, what I'm seeing is your rubber mount directly above your exhaust?.... I believe I would have fashioned the mount differently, however I'm sure you were preoccupied with using the word "whilst".....

------ Follow up post added May 22nd, 2010 06:05 PM ------

Are you English?
I work for a Brit company, so I make fun of them all day because they say whilst and ssshedual (schedule) a lot.

The mount is poly and is encased in a steel sleeve with more than adequate distance from the exhaust. That bushing would have to see about 800-1000 degrees of direct flame to melt (like using a torch to melt out bushings). My truck would have to be on fire for that to happen, but thank you for your keen (another Brit word) observation.

Semper Fi!
Old May 22nd, 2010, 06:52 PM
EWR
Carey
1954 CJ-3B

That's cool. I didn't mean that your bushing would melt, not at all. I was asking if it were rubber because over time the heat would start to break down the bushing and it would then be "N.F.G" ( USA terminology.)
Old May 22nd, 2010, 08:23 PM
Rugbier
Gustavo
110 Tdi - 110 N/A - D3 HSE - RRS SC

Registry
And you two need to get a FR ( F@#king room ) Universal Terminology
Old May 23rd, 2010, 08:41 PM
EWR
Carey
1954 CJ-3B

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rugbier View Post
And you two need to get a FR ( F@#king room ) Universal Terminology
Old May 24th, 2010, 05:08 PM
Wolf Fabrication
Sterling Archer
'08 D3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
I've been trying to figure out the best place to mount my sand ladders. I settled upon mounting them to the cage right in front of the roof basket. This location is out of the way and I was never really a fan of flashy aluminum on the sides of my truck. I even painted them black so they don't stand out too much. I'm still not sold on the location, but it seemed like a logical place to put them

Whaddyathink?
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	l1.jpg
Views:	190
Size:	106.1 KB
ID:	27931   Click image for larger version

Name:	l2.jpg
Views:	220
Size:	153.8 KB
ID:	27932  

Semper Fi!
Old May 24th, 2010, 05:17 PM
rijosho
Joshua
1995 Black ST - Rhinolined edition
Research Assistant/Eagle Eyes

Registry
Pretty cool. Sort of looks like a front fairing.
Old May 24th, 2010, 05:35 PM
Wolf Fabrication
Sterling Archer
'08 D3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Uhoh, now we are getting back into a Fast and Furious truck! Let's not call it a faring.

Semper Fi!
Old May 24th, 2010, 05:38 PM
rlynch356
Robert Lynch
1995 NAS

looks like it adds 5 HP with the Fairing up there your other sticker up there adds at least 2 more !!

You need a Type R Badge on the Fairings (um i mean sand ladders)

95' D90 - daily driver..
Old May 24th, 2010, 05:50 PM
Wolf Fabrication
Sterling Archer
'08 D3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
I'm thinking of changing out all the LR badges for Honda badges.

Semper Fi!
Old May 24th, 2010, 05:58 PM
rlynch356
Robert Lynch
1995 NAS

JDM Element Type R

sick

95' D90 - daily driver..
Old May 24th, 2010, 07:31 PM
cgalpin
Charles Galpin
'94 D90 ST, '63 SeriesIIA
Site Team

Registry
Make an adjustable bracket on the rear so you can angle it up when you don't need the lights, and you'll get an extra mpg. LOL.
Old May 24th, 2010, 07:43 PM
Wolf Fabrication
Sterling Archer
'08 D3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Yeah, but the "wing" has "speed holes."

Semper Fi!
Old May 24th, 2010, 08:24 PM
woldd90
Scott
1997 D90 ST #1444
Site Team

Jonathan, great looking truck, but I am going to vote no on the sand ladders... If you were going somewhere, where you may need them, by all means, mount them. But, to drive around town all the time...too poser-ish.

How about mounting them flat in the basket, they you get the best of both worlds... a floor and function.

Old May 24th, 2010, 08:43 PM
Wolf Fabrication
Sterling Archer
'08 D3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
No, no, no! These are not mounted full time, only when I wheel! This is just showing where I plan on putting them. They can't go in the basket as I have too much gear up there to try and dig them out from underneath.

Semper Fi!
Old May 25th, 2010, 06:26 PM
Wolf Fabrication
Sterling Archer
'08 D3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Got the alpine windows installed today. The glass was free (thanks Dave Lucas!), and just had the cost of the seal (RDS) and the install tool (Lisle). I used an air nibbler to cut the hole and a die grinder to smooth out the rough edges.

I'm thinking about installing alpine windows in the rear section too.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	s1.jpg
Views:	198
Size:	133.7 KB
ID:	27962   Click image for larger version

Name:	s2.jpg
Views:	209
Size:	120.2 KB
ID:	27963  

Name:	s3.jpg
Views:	220
Size:	113.6 KB
ID:	27964   Click image for larger version

Name:	s4.jpg
Views:	212
Size:	106.6 KB
ID:	27965  

Name:	s5.jpg
Views:	231
Size:	130.4 KB
ID:	27966  

Semper Fi!

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Build-up's, Projects & Registry Profiles > Truck Build-up's & Restores

Tags