Project "Frank" - The Un-Gaying of a 110 - Page 21 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Build-up's, Projects & Registry Profiles > Truck Build-up's & Restores

Old February 7th, 2012, 09:14 PM
Wolf Fabrication
Sterling Archer
'08 D3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjf
Now get a real grill.
Wha?! Why? I like my chicken coop floor grill.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Semper Fi!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old February 7th, 2012, 09:29 PM
bjf
barry f
94 ST #395

Super ghetto
Old February 7th, 2012, 09:36 PM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
A defender in every driveway-motto
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjf View Post
Super ghetto
you don't get a vote

Dividing Creek Imports
Worldwide Vehicle Shipment and Importation Service
Restoration & Modification work

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old February 7th, 2012, 10:46 PM
tommyd
Tom
LR3

looks great!
Old February 7th, 2012, 11:39 PM
bjf
barry f
94 ST #395

Quote:
Originally Posted by 130Tdi View Post
you don't get a vote
Its chicken coop flooring. You really going to argue how cool it is? It's the equivalent of having a mercedes with a broken hood ornament. Eye sore!!
Old February 8th, 2012, 06:13 AM
Wolf Fabrication
Sterling Archer
'08 D3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjf View Post
Its chicken coop flooring. You really going to argue how cool it is? It's the equivalent of having a mercedes with a broken hood ornament. Eye sore!!
Well, thanks for your opinion, but the ghetto grill stays.

Semper Fi!
Old February 8th, 2012, 08:01 AM
Rugbier
Gustavo
110 Tdi - 110 N/A - D3 HSE - RRS SC

Registry
Speechless....

well done !!!!
Old February 8th, 2012, 08:13 AM
ssbartley1
Steve Bartley
1997 SW #160

Registry
Nice truck, as a police officer--- the "antique" plates scream, pull me over and look at my paperwork a bit closer.
"Walk tall, kick ass, learn to speak Arabic, love music and never forget you come from a long line of truth seekers, lovers and warriors."
- Hunter S. Thompson
Old February 8th, 2012, 08:24 AM
Wolf Fabrication
Sterling Archer
'08 D3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssbartley1 View Post
Nice truck, as a police officer--- the "antique" plates scream, pull me over and look at my paperwork a bit closer.
By all means, please waste your time doing so. The truck is 30 years old. That's like pulling over a '69 Camaro with antique plates. I've had those plates for 3 years and have had plenty of police behind me. Policing antique plate cars doesn't seem to be a huge priority.

Semper Fi!
Old February 8th, 2012, 08:45 AM
ssbartley1
Steve Bartley
1997 SW #160

Registry
Except a '69 Camaro doesnt have its VIN sanded off. I couldnt care less what you choose to do dude, just giving my point of view.
"Walk tall, kick ass, learn to speak Arabic, love music and never forget you come from a long line of truth seekers, lovers and warriors."
- Hunter S. Thompson
Old February 8th, 2012, 08:53 AM
Wolf Fabrication
Sterling Archer
'08 D3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssbartley1
Except a '69 Camaro doesnt have its VIN sanded off. I couldnt care less what you choose to do dude, just giving my point of view.
Are you implying my truck has the VIN sanded off??? It has all the legal plates and markings, and was imported legally.

But yes, antique plates on a shiny car scream pull me over, but it doesn't happen in VA.

Semper Fi!
Old February 8th, 2012, 09:22 AM
ssbartley1
Steve Bartley
1997 SW #160

Registry
This is all I am saying.......Virginia Code, Section 46.2-730, limits use of antique vehicles, trailers and motorcycles registered with antique plates to the participation in club activities,exhibits, tours, parades and similar events and to carrying or transporting passengers, personal effects and other antique vehicles for show purposes. Theymay also be used on Virginia highways to test vehicle/trailer operation, obtaining maintenance or repairs and/or to sell the vehicle or trailer. Antique plates permit occasional pleasure driving (not to exceed 250 miles from the owner's residence) but are not to be used for general transportation purposes, including but not limited to, daily travel to and from the owner's place of employment.

And, no, I dont know (or care) the legal status of your truck. Im saying that old Camaros arent known for being black or gray market vehicles like Land Rovers are.

Anyhow- it is a nice truck, you did a good job on it, no doubt about that.
- Hunter S. Thompson
Old February 8th, 2012, 09:31 AM
Wolf Fabrication
Sterling Archer
'08 D3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
I am well aware of the code. I drive the truck less than 250 miles a year and only to club events, that's why I trailer it most places officer, sir.

Semper Fi!
Old February 8th, 2012, 09:54 AM
down_shift
Russell
94' D90 ST & 06' LR3

Registry
My dad (and to a lesser extent, I) have been restoring antique cars my entire life and have participated in countless "antique car club activities, exhibits, tours, parades, and similar events" to quote the Virginia DMV rules below. Bonding over old cars with my dad are some of my most cherished childhood and adult memories and I look forward to sharing this experience with my son for my next 44 years.

If pulled over by a cop for no other reason than driving with antique plates when following the rules to the letter, I would be all over the state highway department / sheriff's office. In fact, I would welcome it.

Jonathan - looking forward to seeing your D-110 at next Thursday's HH, a gathering of Rover's owners and thier > 25-yr old Defenders and Series over a few beers that is clearly a "similar event". We trust that your "daily driver" is parked at home during this time. I am also looking forward to seeing you on the "occasional pleasure [drive] not to exceed 250 miles from your residence" as well.

http://www.dmv.state.va.us/webdoc/ci...es/antique.asp

Antique and Vintage License Plates

If you own a passenger vehicle, trailer, semi-trailer or motorcycle with a model year that is more than 25 model years old before January 1 of the current calendar year, you've got an antique! Depending on how you plan to use your vehicle, you may choose antique, vintage or any one of our standard license plates. Antique license plates are provided by DMV; vintage license plates are original Virginia license plates issued prior to 1976 that you provide. Antique vehicles must be insured with motor vehicle liability insurance or you must pay the uninsured motor vehicle fee.
DMV began issuing yearly decals for passenger vehicles and trailers in 1973, which means that passenger vehicles and trailers manufactured in or after 1973 are not eligible to use vintage license plates. You will only be able to use antique or standard license plates issued by DMV on those vehicles. If you own a motorcycle, however, you may be able to provide vintage motorcycle plates that were issued up to 1976. If your motorcycle was manufactured in or after 1976, though, you will have to use either antique or standard license plates issued by DMV.
Is your antique vehicle just for show…?

If you plan to use your antique vehicle or trailer solely as a collector's item, you may register your vehicle with antique license plates or permanent vintage license plates.

Registering your vehicle either of these ways limits your use of the vehicle to:
  • Participation in antique car club activities, exhibits, tours, parades, and similar events.
  • Testing its operation, obtaining repairs or maintenance, selling the vehicle or trailer, transportation to and from events as described in number 1 above and for the occasional pleasure driving not to exceed 250 miles from your residence.
  • Carrying or transporting passengers, personal effects or other antique motor vehicles being transported for show purposes.
You may not use your vehicle for general, daily transportation. This includes, but is not limited to, driving to and from work.
If you are providing vintage license plates, then the year embossed on the license plate must match the model year of the vehicle. In addition, DMV must inspect and approve the physical condition of the vintage plates.

To register your vehicle with antique or permanent vintage license plates, DMV charges a one-time fee. Use forms VSA 14 or VSA 10, and VSA 10B.
  • Your license plates will be valid for as long as you own the vehicle.
  • You may not transfer your license plates to another vehicle, but you may surrender them to DMV and then register them to a different vehicle for an additional fee.
  • Unless the vehicle was manufactured for one license plate only, you must display license plates on the front and the rear of your vehicle.
  • Using the "Antique Vehicle Applicant Certification," VSA 10B, you must also certify that you own, or have regular use of, another vehicle, without antique plates, for daily use and that the vehicle or trailer you want to register with antique plates can be driven safely on the highways of Virginia.
Old February 8th, 2012, 10:18 AM
Wolf Fabrication
Sterling Archer
'08 D3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
We are getting way off topic here... I believe the fine for driving to get ice cream in your antique plate car is $500. I will gladly take the fine over the yearly cost of plates and hassle of safety inspections. But I must reiterate, I only drive to club events, car shows, gatherings etc, and this includes HH.

Semper Fi!
Old February 8th, 2012, 10:28 AM
Jackie Treehorn
A
1985 (legitimately)

Registry
Having skipped over the debate over the validity of antique plates, I just checked back a few pages to see the final pictures.

That thing looks burly! Nice job.
You achieved the look you were going for for sure. No more metrosexual mall cruiser.

However, with all of that "equipment" including shocks, sliders, etc., I think we are going to jump all over you if you don't post some pictures of Frank actually getting filthy. (now that you're done, it's time to thrash it!)
Old February 8th, 2012, 10:33 AM
o2batsea
Bill Adams
66 109 sw 94 lwb

Registry
You can get geezer plates, and then flip them over to standard if you want. However, Jonathan is experiencing what many of us in large urban areas do when driving on Historic tags...the cops do not bother you about it.
In my experience, I have been pulled over while driving the 2A by a MD state trooper when I left my rack mounted work light on. This was on I270 near Gaithersburg. He checked my license, registration and proof of insurance, told me to be careful about leaving the light on and went on his way. This occurred after dark on a week night with the truck full of Costco shiz. Clearly I was not doing anything remotely car club related.
I find if you are courteous, patient and friendly towards the Troopers they will not go out of their way to pile on the infractions.
I get much the same about trailers too.

1966 109 5 door wagon 300Tdi "spermaceti fueled"
1994 RRC LeWiB "ruining the air behind me"
1968 2A 88

All my troubles are Rover
Old February 8th, 2012, 10:47 AM
Wolf Fabrication
Sterling Archer
'08 D3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackie Treehorn View Post
Having skipped over the debate over the validity of antique plates, I just checked back a few pages to see the final pictures.

That thing looks burly! Nice job.
You achieved the look you were going for for sure. No more metrosexual mall cruiser.

However, with all of that "equipment" including shocks, sliders, etc., I think we are going to jump all over you if you don't post some pictures of Frank actually getting filthy. (now that you're done, it's time to thrash it!)
Where have you been?!? The truck has been thrashed plenty - go back through the thread, I posted plenty of pics, or check out the Lucky 8 Easter Expedition DVDs.

Semper Fi!
Old February 8th, 2012, 11:08 AM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
A defender in every driveway-motto
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
You can "test drive" your antique vehicle @ any time in Virginia if I'm not mistaken. Given the amount of time Jonathan spends wrenching onnthis truck I think he's got a couple thousand test drives saved up. All you have to do is point to something shiney and say you just bolted it on and you are perfectly legal. Paint looks way better than the Krylon did.

Dividing Creek Imports
Worldwide Vehicle Shipment and Importation Service
Restoration & Modification work

Old February 8th, 2012, 11:10 AM
Wolf Fabrication
Sterling Archer
'08 D3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by 130Tdi View Post
You can "test drive" your antique vehicle @ any time in Virginia if I'm not mistaken. Given the amount of time Jonathan spends wrenching onnthis truck I think he's got a couple thousand test drives saved up. All you have to do is point to something shiney and say you just bolted it on and you are perfectly legal. Paint looks way better than the Krylon did.
Ahh, good point Doug.

And I am higher class than Krylon - I used Rustoleum Professional on the last paint job

Semper Fi!

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Build-up's, Projects & Registry Profiles > Truck Build-up's & Restores

Tags