Project "Frank" - The Un-Gaying of a 110 - Page 12 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Build-up's, Projects & Registry Profiles > Truck Build-up's & Restores

Old July 15th, 2010, 11:55 AM
sonoronos
Ed
None

Registry
Good looking build!

Very clean.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old August 19th, 2010, 09:26 PM
Wolf Fabrication
Sterling Archer
'08 D3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Door Repair

My right rear door was held together by bondo and paint. The bottom of the frame is completely gone and there is some serious rot on the upper frame (see pics). So before spending $600 on a new door frame I decided to make an attempt at repairing the door.

First, I cut out the rotten areas on the bottom of the door, careful to peel apart the skin. Then using some of the old rusted chunks I bent up and fabricated some new lower and side channels, epoxy primered them inside and out, and welded them to the existing good hunks of metal. They were also glued in with panel adhesive.

So far I have the bottom of the door done, next I will do the upper frame rot. More pics to follow.....
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1.jpg
Views:	291
Size:	194.8 KB
ID:	30246   Click image for larger version

Name:	2.jpg
Views:	286
Size:	175.0 KB
ID:	30247  

Name:	3.jpg
Views:	257
Size:	146.1 KB
ID:	30248   Click image for larger version

Name:	4.jpg
Views:	263
Size:	174.2 KB
ID:	30249  

Name:	5.jpg
Views:	276
Size:	146.6 KB
ID:	30250   Click image for larger version

Name:	6.jpg
Views:	270
Size:	137.5 KB
ID:	30251  

Name:	7.jpg
Views:	260
Size:	148.6 KB
ID:	30252   Click image for larger version

Name:	8.jpg
Views:	271
Size:	140.7 KB
ID:	30253  

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Semper Fi!
Old August 20th, 2010, 08:23 AM
MUDSUX
Forrest
Like my Tatas?

Registry
Thanks for the pictures Jonathan. I am comtemplating doing this myself. I see you did the welding with the skin on? Was it easy to peel the skin back? Did you use heat to bend the skin to avoid cold/stress hardening? Any advice after doing it yourself? Thanks

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"It is the soldier, who salutes the flag, who serves beneath the flag, and whose coffin is draped by the flag that allows the protester to burn the flag"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old August 20th, 2010, 12:44 PM
Wolf Fabrication
Sterling Archer
'08 D3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
I did it with the skin on as I only needed to replace a few sections of channel and to ensure the door kept it's proper shape. The aluminum skin is pretty thin so I didn't use any heat - it was also very easy to pry away from the steel channel. Just take your time. No real advice, but it does suck doing it. Then again, it saved me $600. Now, of course this is only a temporary solution and should last at least 5-10 years minimum as long as I occasionally pull the door cards to check for new rot. The best way is to galvanize the frames and re-skin.

I'm still only half way through the project, so my opinion could change!

Semper Fi!
Old August 22nd, 2010, 01:56 PM
Wolf Fabrication
Sterling Archer
'08 D3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Wow, I wouldn't wish this project on anyone, it sucked! The more I poked around the more rust I found. The upper horizontal brace was pretty bad, so I fabricated a new one, epoxied inside an out, and glued and welded in place. Then I cut out the cancer on the rear vertical channel and bent up a replacement piece.

I stripped off the old Bondo at the bottom of the door and worked it smooth.

The door feels a lot more solid now and is good as new.
Attached Images

Semper Fi!
Old August 28th, 2010, 09:50 PM
Wolf Fabrication
Sterling Archer
'08 D3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
T-Case Rebuild

I started the last of the real shitty projects this weekend - rebuilding the Disco 1.2 t-case with 1.4 gears. Running 35" tires made the truck a little sluggish off the line so I am hoping this works before I move on to swapping R&Ps.

The rebuild is pretty straight forward. Special thanks to Doug Crowther for posting the LT230 rebuild manual on his website. It's invaluable for the rebuild.

Dropping the t-case was actually the shittiest part and mine was held on by 25 years of grease and corrosion. First, I removed the intermediate shaft and dropped the 1.2 intermediate gear. Then, per the manual, I removed the front output to get access to the high range gear at the back of the case. Getting to that gear was as simple as unstaking the retaining nut and swapping on the new gear. After reassembling, I installed new bearings and races in the 1.4 intermediate gear with a new crush sleeve and installed the intermediate shaft with new o-rings and lock nut. The nut gets torqued until end-play in the intermediate gear is gone.

Simple as that. The t-case is sitting on the garage floor waiting for a buddy to come help lift it into place tomorrow. I took random pics along the way. It was hard to do a step-by-step photo shoot with greasy hands.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	photo.jpg
Views:	155
Size:	159.2 KB
ID:	30501   Click image for larger version

Name:	photo 2.jpg
Views:	157
Size:	150.0 KB
ID:	30502  

Name:	photo 3.jpg
Views:	149
Size:	137.9 KB
ID:	30503   Click image for larger version

Name:	photo 4.jpg
Views:	155
Size:	162.4 KB
ID:	30504  

Name:	photo 5.jpg
Views:	151
Size:	106.5 KB
ID:	30505   Click image for larger version

Name:	photo6.jpg
Views:	158
Size:	202.9 KB
ID:	30506  

Name:	photo 7.jpg
Views:	161
Size:	155.8 KB
ID:	30507   Click image for larger version

Name:	photo 8.jpg
Views:	160
Size:	176.6 KB
ID:	30508  

Semper Fi!
Old August 29th, 2010, 10:52 AM
Wolf Fabrication
Sterling Archer
'08 D3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Wow, what a difference in drivability! The 1.4s are awesome. The truck is no longer sluggish off the line. Guess that's why Defenders had 1.4 gears in the first place.

Semper Fi!
Old August 29th, 2010, 08:31 PM
cgalpin
Charles Galpin
'94 D90 ST, '63 SeriesIIA
Site Team

Registry
Well done. Now let's see pictures of it on 35's.
Old August 29th, 2010, 08:38 PM
Wolf Fabrication
Sterling Archer
'08 D3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by cgalpin View Post
Well done. Now let's see pictures of it on 35's.
Here ya go
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	110.jpg
Views:	401
Size:	129.0 KB
ID:	30520  

Semper Fi!
Old August 29th, 2010, 08:43 PM
cgalpin
Charles Galpin
'94 D90 ST, '63 SeriesIIA
Site Team

Registry
Looks good
Old August 31st, 2010, 11:58 AM
don
Don Bunnell
'86 110 3dr ST

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf Fabrication View Post
Here ya go
Rig looks beastie with the 35's on Wolfs and all blacked out.

Those are KM2's right? How are you liking them? And how do they fit in the wheelwells - do they stick out any?
Old September 23rd, 2010, 02:04 PM
Wolf Fabrication
Sterling Archer
'08 D3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by don

Rig looks beastie with the 35's on Wolfs and all blacked out.

Those are KM2's right? How are you liking them? And how do they fit in the wheelwells - do they stick out any?
I love the KM2s and they fit perfectly after some adjustment to tire stops.

Semper Fi!
Old September 23rd, 2010, 02:13 PM
Wolf Fabrication
Sterling Archer
'08 D3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Coming to the end of the project (yeah, right). Installed a MudUK rear door panel, Terrafirma caster corrected radius arms with new bushes, KAM HD rear shafts, and HD drive flanges at all 4 corners. Also finished the auxillary air tank install using a 4 gallon stainless tank.
Attached Images

Semper Fi!
Old September 23rd, 2010, 02:38 PM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
A defender in every driveway-motto
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf Fabrication View Post
Coming to the end of the project (yeah, right). Installed a MudUK rear door panel, Terrafirma caster corrected radius arms with new bushes, KAM HD rear shafts, and HD drive flanges at all 4 corners. Also finished the auxillary air tank install using a 4 gallon stainless tank.
So now are you going to use it ?

Dividing Creek Imports
Worldwide Vehicle Shipment and Importation Service
Restoration & Modification work

Old September 23rd, 2010, 02:54 PM
Wolf Fabrication
Sterling Archer
'08 D3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by 130Tdi

The truck or the air tank?

Air tank is for small stuff like tires and air mattreses, and big stuff like Gustavos blow up doll. I've got a nice low CFM air ratchet and drill I use too.

Semper Fi!
Old September 23rd, 2010, 03:04 PM
EWR
Carey
1954 CJ-3B

Quote:
Originally Posted by 130Tdi View Post
Probably not. Anyone who runs a 35" tire and posts a pic of it on pavement, will only be using it to go get ice cream....
Old September 23rd, 2010, 03:28 PM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolf fabrication View Post
the truck or the air tank?

air tank is for small stuff like tires and air mattreses, and big stuff like gustavos blow up doll. I've got a nice low cfm air ratchet and drill i use too.

the whole damn thing !

Dividing Creek Imports

Old September 23rd, 2010, 05:03 PM
Wolf Fabrication
Sterling Archer
'08 D3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by 130Tdi View Post
the whole damn thing !

Ah, now I understad your question. It will primarily be used for curb crawling, grocery getting, and occasional Starbucks runs. It will continue to suck the $$ out of my wallet, and I'll eventually sell it at a $5k minimum loss. I'll probably trailer it to all the MARs and then splash mud on to make it look like I wheeled it too. If you want to know what I really do with it, buy the Lucky8 Easter Expo 2010 DVD at MAR.

Semper Fi!
Old September 23rd, 2010, 08:13 PM
EWR
Carey
1954 CJ-3B

If you want to know what I really do with it, buy the Lucky8 Easter Expo 2010 DVD at MAR.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, there are some talented folks out there who know how to use photoshop rather well.....
Old September 23rd, 2010, 10:28 PM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
[QUOTE=Wolf Fabrication;242643]If you want to know what I really do with it, buy the Lucky8 Easter Expo 2010 DVD at MAR.[/QUOTE

know you used it once since you have had it. meant going forward since its finished

Dividing Creek Imports

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Build-up's, Projects & Registry Profiles > Truck Build-up's & Restores

Tags