Project "Frank" - The Un-Gaying of a 110 - Page 10 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Build-up's, Projects & Registry Profiles > Truck Build-up's & Restores

Old June 6th, 2010, 09:08 PM
cgalpin
Charles Galpin
'94 D90 ST, '63 SeriesIIA
Site Team

Registry
Looks good.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old June 7th, 2010, 08:26 AM
LFORGUE8
Lucas Forgue
2011 Rangie

are the engine mounts twisted in any way? just thinking out loud but did you loosen the nuts on the engine mounts before the new crossmember?
Old June 7th, 2010, 09:00 AM
Ren Ching
Skinny Pete
'84 90 "Yamelo"/'88 RRC "Chewbacca"

Registry
J

I have to look at mine again but the 'after' pic looks about where the factory puts it. The center mounted transmission mount you had was NOT a land rover part in any way shape or form, land rover never used a center mount like that, rather, always went with two mounts, one each side. I don't know WTF that thing was, though I seem to recall seeing something similar looking advertised for an american car of some kind. Also can't recall exactly but that x-member looked made up as well.

So just to be clear, this is not really an 'improvement over factory' so much as an 'improvement over massive SPOT (Stupid Previous Owner Trick)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf Fabrication View Post
It seems like the stock crossmember always ends up being an anchor

My "stock" crossmember was actually welded in by the a$$hole that did my drivetrain swap,

I tossed the stock LR tranny mount in favor of an Energy Suspension GM tranny mount.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old June 7th, 2010, 11:05 AM
Wolf Fabrication
Sterling Archer
'08 D3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ren Ching View Post
J

I have to look at mine again but the 'after' pic looks about where the factory puts it. The center mounted transmission mount you had was NOT a land rover part in any way shape or form, land rover never used a center mount like that, rather, always went with two mounts, one each side. I don't know WTF that thing was, though I seem to recall seeing something similar looking advertised for an american car of some kind. Also can't recall exactly but that x-member looked made up as well.

So just to be clear, this is not really an 'improvement over factory' so much as an 'improvement over massive SPOT (Stupid Previous Owner Trick)
I'd be interested to see if you are correct. The "stock" mount fits correctly and you can see where the bolts holes were for the correct placement of crossmember. The PO simply moved it forward and lowered it about an inch or so to accomodate the Disco 200tdi. I think the "stock" crossmember may have come from the donor Disco as it had the correct tabs for the tranny mount, and the tranny mount itself matched up. It's definetely a LR part, maybe just not 90/110. Either way, things are good now.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Semper Fi!
Old June 7th, 2010, 12:29 PM
Ren Ching
Skinny Pete

Registry
Holy crap, I was wrong! What the hell is the world coming to?!?!?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Land-Rover-Dis...-/300434962461

Well, glad you found something better.

Quote:
the donor Disco as it had the correct tabs for the tranny mount, and the tranny mount itself matched up. It's definetely a LR part, maybe just not 90/110. Either way, things are good now.
Old June 7th, 2010, 02:21 PM
Wolf Fabrication
Sterling Archer
'08 D3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
That Disco tranny mount is GARBAGE! It has so much free play built into it, presumably to make the Disco ride more cushy. Doug is supposed to have some of the correct side mounts for me at some point.

Next project, a sunroof!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Semper Fi!
Old June 7th, 2010, 06:07 PM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
A defender in every driveway-motto
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
That Disco tranny mount is GARBAGE! It has so much free play built into it, presumably to make the Disco ride more cushy. Doug is supposed to have some of the correct side mounts for me at some point.

Next project, a sunroof!
carefull- say that on Discoweb and 140 posts of 4 letter words will follow

Dividing Creek Imports
Worldwide Vehicle Shipment and Importation Service
Restoration & Modification work

Old June 7th, 2010, 06:21 PM
rijosho
Joshua
1995 Black ST - Rhinolined edition
Research Assistant/Eagle Eyes

Registry
Quote:

Next project, a sunroof!

How many more projects are left?

The last thing you want to do is turn this into "The Re-Gaying of a Defender 110."
Old June 7th, 2010, 06:25 PM
Wolf Fabrication
Sterling Archer
'08 D3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by rijosho View Post
How many more projects are left?

The last thing you want to do is turn this into "The Re-Gaying of a Defender 110."
LOL! It's a LR, the projects will never end!

Semper Fi!
Old June 8th, 2010, 02:06 AM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

You buy the sunroof RDS is selling?
Old June 8th, 2010, 05:26 AM
Wolf Fabrication
Sterling Archer
'08 D3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by evilfij View Post
You buy the sunroof RDS is selling?
Nope. Never saw his, but I assume it's around $400 like the rest of the LR sun roofs. I got mine from The Sunroof Doctor and it was $180 shipped. It's two position, tinted, with removable glass.

Semper Fi!
Old June 8th, 2010, 08:57 AM
dave_lucas
Dave Lucas
None

$150 for the military sunroof, it is kind of cool since it is metal.

http://www.roversdownsouth.com/defender.htm
Old June 8th, 2010, 10:12 AM
Wolf Fabrication
Sterling Archer
'08 D3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by dave_lucas View Post
$150 for the military sunroof, it is kind of cool since it is metal.

http://www.roversdownsouth.com/defender.htm
Saw that one. It's not really a "sun roof" if you can't see through it!

Semper Fi!
Old June 8th, 2010, 09:52 PM
dave_lucas
Dave Lucas
None

I guess that is what I like about it, no sun beating down on you while driving but you can still open it up and get some air flow.

And no glass to break

Never been much of a sun roof guy, kind of hard to maintain reputation in the Goth community with a sun tan
Old June 13th, 2010, 07:04 PM
Wolf Fabrication
Sterling Archer
'08 D3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Got the sunroof installed this past week. I got it from The Sunroof Doctor at it was $190 delivered. Sunroof size is 17"x32" and I am very please with the quality. Installation was pretty straightforward. When I cut the center roof support I left enough material to "bend back" and close the exposed ends. The glass is 90% tint, opens in two positions, and is also removable.

The last major project in the immediate future is a Salisbury rear axle with ARB install this week. No disc brake conversion just yet, although I have all the parts minus the caliper brackets. I also picked up a killer Dana 60 HD rear cover.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	s1.jpg
Views:	178
Size:	131.8 KB
ID:	28530   Click image for larger version

Name:	s2.jpg
Views:	183
Size:	115.5 KB
ID:	28531  

Name:	s3.jpg
Views:	180
Size:	186.1 KB
ID:	28532  

Semper Fi!
Old June 13th, 2010, 08:43 PM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
A defender in every driveway-motto
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
The last major project in the immediate future is a Salisbury rear axle with ARB install this week. No disc brake conversion just yet, although I have all the parts minus the caliper brackets. I also picked up a killer Dana 60 HD rear cover.
you work quick. doesn't look anything like what I dropped off Wed night.

Dividing Creek Imports
Worldwide Vehicle Shipment and Importation Service
Restoration & Modification work

Old June 13th, 2010, 09:04 PM
Wolf Fabrication
Sterling Archer
'08 D3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Yeah, it's completely stripped and painted, got new bearings, brakes, ARB, and diff cover coming. I hope to have it swapped in by next weekend. I need that A-arm bracket ASAP though!

Semper Fi!
Old June 14th, 2010, 11:49 AM
Ren Ching
Skinny Pete

Registry
Quote:
The last major project in the immediate future is a Salisbury rear axle with ARB install this week.
Don't most 110 rear axles have shocks that both point toward the front of the vehicle? it looks like this one has one going forward and one going back just like the RR/Disco axle you removed. Just curious.
Old June 14th, 2010, 12:55 PM
Wolf Fabrication
Sterling Archer
'08 D3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
I think early ones point in opposite directions. Either way, it doesn't matter.

Semper Fi!
Old June 24th, 2010, 05:33 PM
Wolf Fabrication
Sterling Archer
'08 D3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Holy crap, what a kick in the balls. I got the ARB installed and the Salisbury mounted and the Rover is back on it's wheels. I was happy to find out my driveshaft still worked. The axle got all new parts, including a trick HD diff cover.

Still need to hook up and bleed the brakes, install the shocks, and I am ready to roll.

Next project: Install Terrafirma big bore +2" shocks and Terrafirma front shock towers, and a front big brake upgrade.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	a1.jpg
Views:	292
Size:	131.5 KB
ID:	28803  

Semper Fi!

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Build-up's, Projects & Registry Profiles > Truck Build-up's & Restores

Tags