Project: Expedition Alaska. - Page 4 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Build-up's, Projects & Registry Profiles > Truck Build-up's & Restores

Old May 19th, 2009, 01:21 PM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanB16
That might be a good thing to have. I have a gun waiting for me when I get to Anchorage. I dont know how strict Canada will be if I try to transport one up there.
Long guns are fine but have to be declared. At that is the way it was last time I did it.
Advertisement

Old May 27th, 2009, 06:48 PM
Chaucer
Will
93 110 | 97 90

Feedback on the Camping Lab/Mombasa RTT: It did well during our 3-day weekend. I didn't notice much of a difference in wind resistance on the highway unless a strong wind would hit us. So average conditions - not a big deal. It does make the rover a bit more top-heavy, so lane changes and turns need to be taken a bit more carefully than usual as it does behave differently. This is on top of a 110 - so your 90 would react differently (ask Dan “WLDKGDM” on this board…I think he has the same RTT on a 90).
The first day, we were in warm, relatively dry weather (low humidity) – no problems with condensation. There was a slight ventilation issue (if all windows were closed) even with the two ‘vents’. Once you open a couple of the windows to let some air flow through, no problems.
The next day, the weather changed rapidly from around 80F down to high 30s to low 40s, by morning there was definitely condensation on all sides of the tent (just like a normal ground tent). This was sitting next to a river and a much more humid day than the previous.
One tip: there are metal sticks that prop open the window ‘eves’… I found out the after the fact, that one can install these from the *inside*of the tent rather than climbing all round the rover on the outside.
Hope this helps, hit me up directly if you want any specific details.
Old May 27th, 2009, 08:33 PM
TDI Guy
Randy
2015 LR4
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
WHat size tires are on the truck?
Advertisement

Old June 6th, 2009, 03:54 PM
RyanB16
Ryan Hoffmeyer
94 D90 Red HalfCab #741

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaucer
Feedback on the Camping Lab/Mombasa RTT: It did well during our 3-day weekend. I didn't notice much of a difference in wind resistance on the highway unless a strong wind would hit us. So average conditions - not a big deal. It does make the rover a bit more top-heavy, so lane changes and turns need to be taken a bit more carefully than usual as it does behave differently. This is on top of a 110 - so your 90 would react differently (ask Dan “WLDKGDM” on this board…I think he has the same RTT on a 90).
The first day, we were in warm, relatively dry weather (low humidity) – no problems with condensation. There was a slight ventilation issue (if all windows were closed) even with the two ‘vents’. Once you open a couple of the windows to let some air flow through, no problems.
The next day, the weather changed rapidly from around 80F down to high 30s to low 40s, by morning there was definitely condensation on all sides of the tent (just like a normal ground tent). This was sitting next to a river and a much more humid day than the previous.
One tip: there are metal sticks that prop open the window ‘eves’… I found out the after the fact, that one can install these from the *inside*of the tent rather than climbing all round the rover on the outside.
Hope this helps, hit me up directly if you want any specific details.
yeah...helps a lot. Thanks for the report. Sounds like it worked well for you. I think the Mombasa is the one to go for. For the price, I think it will do everything that I will need it to do. Good info about the top heavy. I still have to build my roof rack that it will be mounted on so I might have to give it the lowest profile I can have for it.

Follow-up Post:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDI Guy
WHat size tires are on the truck?
I am currently running 285/75/R16. I have been shopping around to do some suspension lifts. I am not sure if I want to go with a bigger tire or not. I am definately thinking about going to a wider wheel. I might have this set of 5 MTR's for sale in a few weeks when I decide to do the upgrades if anyone is interested in them.
Old June 6th, 2009, 11:34 PM
Chaucer
Will
93 110 | 97 90

Yeah it worked well. Planning on using it again in the next couple weeks. Regarding mounting it with the lowest profile - if you're mounting to a rack you are going to build, then I recommend mounting directly to the rack (which would hopefully be mounted as low as possible too).

I ended up using a set of Thule Crossroad mounting feet that use a rubber coated steel strap around the roll cage and a pair of the 58" crossbars. I didn't use the extruded aluminum that came with the tent as that added another inch to the height. I ended up using come Yakima wrap-around mounts instead (so no drilling through the crossbars).
Old June 8th, 2009, 12:41 PM
newfD90
Chance
93 NAS 110

Quote:
I might have this set of 5 MTR's for sale in a few weeks when I decide to do the upgrades if anyone is interested in them.
Looking good Ryan! I might be interested in them. How were they in the snow?

We gotta do another happy hour here soon.

"Fossil Fuel Rapid Disposal Unit"
Old June 9th, 2009, 02:38 AM
RyanB16
Ryan Hoffmeyer
94 D90 Red HalfCab #741

They work well in the snow. I had no problems with them. They actually had better traction then I anticipated. Happy hour sonde good. I had some issues with the paint so the 90 had to go back to the paint booth for some touch up. I am not sure when I am suppose to get it back but will keep you posted. I am planning a trip down to pikes peak rovers this week to talk to them about some suspension upgrades. I heard those guys are the ones to talk too.
Old June 9th, 2009, 09:14 AM
newfD90
Chance
93 NAS 110

Cool, maybe we can work something out.

Yeah, Eric & Luke know their stuff. Tell them hello for me. Give me a holler if you need any help while down here.

"Fossil Fuel Rapid Disposal Unit"
Old September 14th, 2009, 10:31 PM
RyanB16
Ryan Hoffmeyer
94 D90 Red HalfCab #741

defender paint finally done

so...the paint guy took forever. about 2 1/2 months to be exact. There were a lot of issues when he was done. so it had to go back to him a few times to get everything right. Trying to cut some corners and save only about a 100 bucks by not using primer before the paint, cost him a lot repainting it. My black new door and my silver rear quarter panels ended up drying the red paint a lot darker on the black door as a result. It sucks because it pushed my alaska trip til next year. but here are the pics after the third time I had the paint guy take care of it. after thinking about it, a bear will probably end up stratching the piss out of it up in Alaska.

I ended up going back to work for a bit since my trip got delayed while to paint guy had the 90. I am back now and its time to finish building it up for my trip. I have to winter to drive it and build it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC02275a.jpg
Views:	244
Size:	468.0 KB
ID:	21505   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC02276a.jpg
Views:	220
Size:	503.1 KB
ID:	21506  

Name:	DSC02277a.jpg
Views:	208
Size:	496.9 KB
ID:	21507   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC02278a.jpg
Views:	198
Size:	486.5 KB
ID:	21508  

Name:	DSC02279a.jpg
Views:	219
Size:	532.3 KB
ID:	21509   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC02280a.jpg
Views:	185
Size:	417.0 KB
ID:	21510  

Name:	DSC02281a.jpg
Views:	197
Size:	537.6 KB
ID:	21511   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC02282a.jpg
Views:	175
Size:	408.7 KB
ID:	21512  

Old October 1st, 2009, 01:40 PM
RyanB16
Ryan Hoffmeyer
94 D90 Red HalfCab #741

I got all the new parts to finish putting the front end together. New side marker lights, running lights, etc. and new plastic headlight trim pieces. I got her all cleaned up and pulled over to take some pics.

Monday the 5th, I am dropping it off the the upholstery guy to custom make me a top. He is designing it like a reg cab truck style top that will have a dust cover over the rear and a small enclosed cab section around the front. Should make it nice and toasty in there this winter.

I wanted to see if anyone has purchased a roof rack from roverracks.com. Just wonderings peoples thoughts on them. They are quite a bit cheaper then other racks I have seen. If anyone has any insight on this, I would like to hear about it.

Thanks

Ryan
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	september28001.JPG
Views:	192
Size:	704.1 KB
ID:	21847   Click image for larger version

Name:	september28004.jpg
Views:	197
Size:	825.9 KB
ID:	21848  

Name:	september28010.jpg
Views:	186
Size:	665.0 KB
ID:	21849   Click image for larger version

Name:	september28013.jpg
Views:	168
Size:	727.5 KB
ID:	21850  

Name:	september28014.jpg
Views:	219
Size:	673.8 KB
ID:	21851  
Old October 1st, 2009, 01:48 PM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
Looks great Ryan!

Quote:
They are quite a bit cheaper then other racks I have seen.
I think you just summed it up right there.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old October 1st, 2009, 03:25 PM
woldd90
Scott
1997 D90 ST #1444
Site Team

Great looking truck... You have put a lot of hard work and $ in, and it looks great. You will need to add the belt rail kit before you can put the soft top on it... Why not just buy a Badger top, instead of having one made?

What is that in the back of the truck?

Old October 1st, 2009, 03:40 PM
bjf
barry f
94 ST #395

looks great
Old October 1st, 2009, 04:13 PM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

I would put flares on it. Alaska will ruin the new paint without flares from all the dirt/stone roads.
Old October 1st, 2009, 05:53 PM
dave_lucas
Dave Lucas
None

I had a badger 1/2 cab and the tonneau cover and it worked great. Pretty much sounds like you are trying to do the same.

Might want to check with the badger man, he makes top quality stuff and my guess it will fit better than someone trying to make one for the first time.

If you do go to the local person and have good luck let me know. I have a ROW 90 and soft top that I want to get some minor changes made to.

http://www.badgercoachworks.com/index_files/Page682.htm
Old October 1st, 2009, 10:12 PM
Grover
Mike
Birmabright Bread Box/Swagger Wagon

Registry
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by woldd90
What is that in the back of the truck?
...looks like an engine stand...

The D90 looks great! You must write about your trip to Alaska...

Cheers...
Old October 2nd, 2009, 12:00 AM
RyanB16
Ryan Hoffmeyer
94 D90 Red HalfCab #741

Angry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grover
...looks like an engine stand...

The D90 looks great! You must write about your trip to Alaska...

Cheers...
Thats exactly what it is. =) Rod let me borrow it for the engine rebuild.

I am at the tail end of finalizing my web page where I will be documenting the entire trip. so once I get that up and running, it should be a good way of tracking my progress.

Follow-up Post:

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilfij
I would put flares on it. Alaska will ruin the new paint without flares from all the dirt/stone roads.
the two front flares were damaged pretty good in the rollover (and removal of the front wings) , I still have to rears and I am going to have to get the fronts pretty soon here with winter coming. If any one has a used front set, I would be interested in them

Follow-up Post:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave_lucas
I had a badger 1/2 cab and the tonneau cover and it worked great. Pretty much sounds like you are trying to do the same.

Might want to check with the badger man, he makes top quality stuff and my guess it will fit better than someone trying to make one for the first time.

If you do go to the local person and have good luck let me know. I have a ROW 90 and soft top that I want to get some minor changes made to.

http://www.badgercoachworks.com/index_files/Page682.htm
I like the badger tops, They look like really good tops. Unfortunately they are a little out of my budget. I am trying to keep my other soft top so I will be able to go back and forth between the two if needed. the guy making the top specializes in tops and upholstery for mostly hotrods. he is going to base the whole front part of the top off of my other one. He feels pretty confident about it. and I got to see a lot of his work and some of the cars in his shop now. he will be reinstalling the snaps along the top of the rear quarters, just like my other one mounts. I might have him put a couple more on each side to help secure it more in the wind.

here are pics of my other top. after thinking about it, I really dont know how much I will actually use this other top. I really prefer no top when it is nice and more heat when it is cold. I guess if anyone needs a barely used soft top i might consider selling to maybe help fund a roof rack that I still need to buy. or trade for one.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSCN1972.JPG
Views:	180
Size:	341.8 KB
ID:	21869   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN1975.JPG
Views:	160
Size:	263.5 KB
ID:	21870  

Name:	IMG00285.jpg
Views:	184
Size:	126.8 KB
ID:	21871  
Old October 2nd, 2009, 12:18 AM
dave_lucas
Dave Lucas
None

looking forward to seeing what he comes up with.

Would also like his contact info if you do not mind, need to do a few tweaks to my top
Old December 21st, 2009, 02:17 PM
RyanB16
Ryan Hoffmeyer
94 D90 Red HalfCab #741

Top and flare pics

hey guys. sorry for the late posts. been swamped with work for the last few months. but I am all caught up now and have had some time to work on the rover. Here are the soft top pics. and since then, I got my flares back on.

the top really makes the heater work ten times better. He ran the top all the way to the floor and attached it to the lower roll bar right behind the seats. so If I have the rear dust cover off, I can still be dry and warm. so far it keeps it pretty dry inside. no big issues that have aroused.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSC03765.JPG
Views:	204
Size:	537.4 KB
ID:	23844   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC03766.JPG
Views:	188
Size:	449.1 KB
ID:	23845  

Name:	DSC03769.JPG
Views:	189
Size:	604.8 KB
ID:	23846   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC03771.JPG
Views:	185
Size:	418.3 KB
ID:	23847  

Name:	DSC03772.JPG
Views:	183
Size:	453.2 KB
ID:	23848  
Old December 21st, 2009, 02:34 PM
madcowdungbeetle
Carter
1994 D90 on 37s supreme balla style

Registry
Ryan the truck looks incredible. I miss that thing everyday, but Im glad you have given it the attention it deserves.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Build-up's, Projects & Registry Profiles > Truck Build-up's & Restores

Tags
expedition