Project 1984 110 CSW rebuild - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Build-up's, Projects & Registry Profiles > Truck Build-up's & Restores

Old March 24th, 2010, 07:44 PM
Jurriaan
Jurriaan
'84 D110 CSW

Project 1984 110 CSW rebuild

Seen so many nice projects here, thought I'd share mine also.

Specs on the car before project starts:
- 1984 CSW 110 LHD
- 2.5L 4cyl 19J turbodiesel
- LT77 gearbox
- LT230 1.6
- Discs on front, Salisbury drums on rear

When it's finished:
- HS2.8L TGV
- R380 gearbox
- LT230 1.4
- Discs on front, Salisbury discs on rear

Imported the car from Belgium, but it turned out to be an original Dutch car. All the license plates stay with the vehicles here, and no private are plates possible... But when importing a car you're getting a new number plate, just like a new car being sold that day. As my One Ten was sold in Holland new, I received back it's original 1st day of Dutch registration related number plate when taking the car back from Belgium to Holland.

Here it is when collecting it from the beautiful village of Huy, Belgium:

And here it is after spending fifteen years in Belgium on it's original Dutch license plates again:

Started with selling the 19J Turbo Diesel engine to a new home where he'll put it in his 109 pickup:

And here's how it looks now. Sitting next to a friends One Ten after he just bought it in the UK:

Collected a new Genuine Parts chassis for it at Duckworth Land Rover dealer:

Which has been Dutch autorities checked for it's originality prior to being sand blasted and galvanised. The plan is to have all things known for rusting galvanised: the chassis, bulkhead, T-pillars and all supports for mounting the body to the chassis. Might do the door frames also after the car is finished, but they're still solid thanks to the Dinitrol treatment they had after leaving the dealership when new.

Finally a picture of my 110 with my dad's Ninety:

The project will be updated both in this topic and in my web album, which can be found here:

http://www.mijnalbum.nl/Album=W7WMBE84
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old March 24th, 2010, 07:47 PM
Jurriaan
Jurriaan
'84 D110 CSW

Last month, I bought myself a Disco. Which looks like a tired 300Tdi Disco. But it isn't, when you open the bonnet it shows a nice HS 2.8L TGV engine

So it's off with the 300Tdi I planned and now just waiting for the TGV to arrive. Couldn't take it with me straight away, as the seller is still waiting for 6 to 8 weeks on his new Japanese 4x4.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Disco.jpg
Views:	160
Size:	81.1 KB
ID:	25964  
Old March 24th, 2010, 07:50 PM
Jurriaan
Jurriaan
'84 D110 CSW

And finally, back from galvanising:

Now it's just waiting for some more brackets to arrive from the UK and get those blasted and galvanised before the chassis change can start.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old March 24th, 2010, 08:43 PM
cgalpin
Charles Galpin
'94 D90 ST, '63 SeriesIIA
Site Team

Registry
Very nice.
Old March 24th, 2010, 10:58 PM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

Awesome! Looks like Janey www.whereisjaney.com with the steering wheel on the other side. I am surprised no one in the US snapped it up. Importable 25 year old + LHD land rovers are rare.
Old March 25th, 2010, 06:26 AM
Jurriaan
Jurriaan
'84 D110 CSW

Thanks guys! Here it is because of road tax rules we're driving 25 year old cars instead of more recent ones, my dad's Ninety is a 1984 also. Well, not much 1984 left of it, chassis and some body bits

The other Masai Red 110 looks nice! I'm about to pick up a RHD V8 110 for a friend of mine in the same colour. Would be nice seeing them togeter

Final order before body change arrived this morning from Brit-Car UK.

http://www.mijnalbum.nl/Foto-HCW8COK8.jpg

Just have to get them sandblasted and galvanised. I think after that it's all complete for a chassis change, or does someone have any suggestions what to order before it starts?
Old March 25th, 2010, 08:05 AM
cgalpin
Charles Galpin
Site Team

Registry
Are the taxes really that bad?

I can't offer any advise on the build other than to check out the many pictures some of the guys who are rebuilding their 110's have posted to get an idea of what's ahead. There are several going on right now but in particular ajh has a ton of pictures on facebook

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?ai...3&l=40ed8b9042
Old March 25th, 2010, 08:42 AM
Jurriaan
Jurriaan
'84 D110 CSW

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgalpin View Post
Are the taxes really that bad?
2000 euros a year for a Land Rover 9-seater diesel when it's not 25 years old. Just because of the weight and the fuel type. Petrol is a bit cheaper, would be about 1200. 3 seater vans are a bit cheaper also, would be about 1500 euros a year.

After it turned 25 years old it's nothing at all. Insurance is also cheaper. So that's why you guys from the USA have so many Dutch buyers competing against you on the UK eBay

Thanks for the pictures link, always nice to see someone elses project for some ideas how he did.
Old March 25th, 2010, 08:49 AM
cgalpin
Charles Galpin
Site Team

Registry
I can see that adding up. But why a higher (almost double) tax on diesel? I thought Europe was more diesel friendly?
Old March 25th, 2010, 08:55 AM
Jurriaan
Jurriaan
'84 D110 CSW

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgalpin View Post
I can see that adding up. But why a higher (almost double) tax on diesel? I thought Europe was more diesel friendly?
Because a diesel uses less fuel, and so less tax to be paid at the gas station. That's the Dutch philosophy, I know most other European countries are way cheaper. Only Denmark and one or two Scandinavian countries are more expensive as far as I can remember. Fuel isn't cheap here either, with petrol at 1,50 euros and diesel at 1,10 euros a litre. And that's just because more than half of the price is tax.

But well, we have to live with it and find a way through the crazy rules. The Belgians for example aren't allowed to fit bigger tyres than factory sizes, and also suspension modifications aren't allowed.
Old March 25th, 2010, 11:45 AM
diesel_jim
Jamie Austin
1992 110 Td5 CSW & 1989 MB G-Wagen

Looking good. nice!

110's rule!!
Old March 25th, 2010, 11:50 AM
MUDSUX
Forrest
Like my Tatas?

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurriaan View Post
The Belgians for example aren't allowed to fit bigger tyres than factory sizes, and also suspension modifications aren't allowed.
That's just crazy talk.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"It is the soldier, who salutes the flag, who serves beneath the flag, and whose coffin is draped by the flag that allows the protester to burn the flag"
Old March 25th, 2010, 12:38 PM
Jurriaan
Jurriaan
'84 D110 CSW

Quote:
Originally Posted by diesel_jim View Post
Looking good. nice!
Thanks Jim! Any build up pics of yours? I can only find this album with the search button:

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v177/diesel_jim/

Remember I've seen a thread on your car build on one of the UK forums.

Will be mounting my rear shocks in twins also, chassis is already drilled and strenghtened for that prior to being galvanised. Just have to do the axle now. Will require wider mounts though, otherwise the Koni Heavy Track Raids will bend due to their size. At least, that's what's told to me.

You've got twins in the front also?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MUDSUX View Post
That's just crazy talk.
It sure is Hope it stays within their country instead of becoming EU rules...
Old March 25th, 2010, 04:21 PM
diesel_jim
Jamie Austin
1992 110 Td5 CSW & 1989 MB G-Wagen

Quote:
Thanks Jim! Any build up pics of yours? I can only find this album with the search button:

Remember I've seen a thread on your car build on one of the UK forums.

I can mail you some over, PM me your email addy.

I've not got many pictures of it up on the web (not had many of mine at all out there really, i deleted the build up ones from LR4x4 a while back now), mainly because of paranoid thoughts of it getting stolen.

plenty going walkies here in the UK at the moment, so don't want to advertise it to thieving scum.
Old March 25th, 2010, 07:21 PM
Jurriaan
Jurriaan
'84 D110 CSW

Quote:
Originally Posted by diesel_jim View Post
mainly because of paranoid thoughts of it getting stolen.
Hope it will never happen. Getting a car stolen won't be nice to anyone, but even worse when you built it yourself completely.

Think I'll have to teach myself to walk round the car and lock it when it's finished, they don't get stolen here very often. Hope it stays like that....

Sent you a PM with my e-mail address in it, thanks!
Old March 26th, 2010, 11:54 AM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
A defender in every driveway-motto
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
So that's why you guys from the USA have so many Dutch buyers competing against you on the UK eBay

I keep explaining that to people and they look @ me with a blank stare...and the Brits sellers are fully aware.

Dividing Creek Imports
Worldwide Vehicle Shipment and Importation Service
Restoration & Modification work

Old March 26th, 2010, 02:26 PM
Jurriaan
Jurriaan
'84 D110 CSW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maryland 110 View Post
I keep explaining that to people and they look @ me with a blank stare...and the Brits sellers are fully aware.
Yeah, more & more people on selling sites are telling things in their auctions to attract US and Dutch buyers. And the cars are getting more & more rust buckets It's not easy to find a nice one now. Not impossible though
Old May 6th, 2010, 07:46 PM
Jurriaan
Jurriaan
'84 D110 CSW

Still waiting for the engine to arrive. The last message I've got told me it'll be the last week of May. Hope Toyota will stick with that date for delivery of the Land Cruiser for the current Disco-owner and won't make it June or July instead...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0012-3.jpg
Views:	133
Size:	126.6 KB
ID:	27372  

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Build-up's, Projects & Registry Profiles > Truck Build-up's & Restores

Tags
110, 1984, rebuild