Previous LR3 owner...now a noob Defender owner. - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Build-up's, Projects & Registry Profiles > Truck Build-up's & Restores

Old March 19th, 2015, 12:09 PM
kilr4d
John
1999 110 TD5

Registry
Previous LR3 owner...now a noob Defender owner.

A few years ago I bought a slightly used (year old at the time) LR3 HSE and it was one of the nicest daily drivers I've ever owned. Sold it to a friend and he also got years of enjoyment before moving on to something else. The only two issues I had with the LR3 were that it was a gas engine (I'm an avowed diesel fan) and that it was waaayyyy too complicated for the backyard mechanic/shadetree tinkering that I like to do.

My job requires that I drive a pickup, but I still wanted a 4x4 to tinker with. I tossed around a bunch of ideas ranging from Jeep to Bronco and everything in between but I kept coming back to a Defender. So, after a bunch of online tire kicking I finally found one that was cheap enough to take a gamble on yet still met my criteria of OEM LHD; OEM TD5; 110; 5 door; factory A/C; not an ex-German mining vehicle.

Here are the sellers pictures, album in this link. 1999 Defender TD5 - Album on Imgur I know that a picture tells a thousand lies and I really have NO IDEA what's going to emerge from the shipping container...it might be a serviceable vehicle, it might be a complete turd. I'm hoping for the former but accept that it might be the latter. To be honest, if the original frame is intact and serviceable I'll call this one a win.

The idea will be to strip it down to frame and identify what needs to replaced; what needs to be repaired and what needs to be reconditioned. The central theme of the build will be improvement and modernization while retaining as much original hardware as possible. The Canadian dollar is abysmal and shipping/importation costs are exorbitant so I'll work with what I have as much as possible, failing that will be adapting parts from North American D2's and RRC's found in local wrecking yards and final option will be ordering new parts from overseas.

I've been poring over all your threads and hope to rely on everyones experience...I'll try to use the search function as much as possible but please bear with me on questions you've already answered. I'm a big believer in adapting new materials/technology to existing designs, ranging from piston coatings to ceramic insulation to synthetic lubes so PLEASE chime in with what's worked/not worked for you. For example...I would hate to do something like putting Line-X on a wheel well only to find out that Lizard Skin/Second Skin/Something I've Never Heard Of is a vastly superior product for a multitude of reasons.

I'm not angling for an expedition or crawler build, just a nice SUV that has less apologies to make than it did when it rolled off the line.

It gets loaded on a ship next week, arrival in Canada middle of April, teardown to start shortly after that.

Cheers,

John
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old March 26th, 2015, 09:43 AM
kilr4d
John
1999 110 TD5

Registry
Thumbs up

Well, I've crossed the first set of hurdles. The seller turned out to be legit and didn't disappear with my money; the vehicle actually exists; it does start/run/drive and the shipping agent has it in their warehouse.

Now I've just got to wait for it to cross the Atlantic.

Full resolution here: Imgur

Please chime with anything you think I should notice...good, bad or indifferent.

Thanks,

John
Old March 26th, 2015, 10:03 AM
Jonesy
Craig
87 D110 (Ruby)

Registry
RUST! - I see rust...which usually means in all the little hidey holes you got lots!
Advertisement

Old March 26th, 2015, 12:57 PM
supercharged67gt
Andy
64 series IIa x3

Registry
I just did the opposite of you haha... went from a 110 diesel to an LR3.... don't miss it one bit! if anything the LR3 is just as capable if not more!

Gl with truck, looks like a fun spot to start a project from!
Old March 26th, 2015, 01:56 PM
1of40
1of40
NAS 97SW & 83 One Ten Tdi

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonesy View Post
RUST! - I see rust...which usually means in all the little hidey holes you got lots!
Welcome to the Abusement Park! Climb in and hang on.
Old May 1st, 2015, 09:16 AM
kilr4d
John
1999 110 TD5

Registry
Thumbs down

Ugh. Slowest cargo ship ever and now the Canadian Govt has pulled my Defender for secondary inspection.

I guess they also want to make sure I'm not committing the heinous crime of importing a newer vehicle.

Quote:
This is to inform you that your shipment is held by CBSA (Canada Border Service Agency) for ONSITE EXAM. Any charges that may occur such as Customs inspection fees, demurrage / storage charges etc. by the shipping line and/or the port due to Customs Exam will be for account of shipper and/or consignee. (Port charges to date $185.00 relating to services rendered for this onsite inspection - please see invoice attached for your reference) We apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused you. Unfortunately this is completely out of our control. We will inform you of the outcome of Customs exam as soon as possible.
Old May 25th, 2015, 03:17 PM
kilr4d
John
1999 110 TD5

Registry
Le sigh. Today's lesson is about gov't corruption and the mob running the ports. I won't bother with the long story, but the short story is 1 month and $5k to get my vehicle "washed" and out of the Port of Montreal.

Should have it in my hands end of this week/beginning of next.
Old June 2nd, 2015, 02:46 PM
kilr4d
John
1999 110 TD5

Registry
Ok. Finally here and in my hands. Got it off the truck Saturday.

It's about what I expected and not too many surprises so far. Hopefully my AWFUL luck begins & ends with the shipping.

Exterior:

Interior

Gross, but intact except for the completely random front seats:

Some sort of homemade flat floor and bulkhead:

Rear seats all there, but loosely tossed in:

Awful checkerplate rear door cover:

Initial drive was that it's got more power than I expected...easily holding 115kmh/70mph on the highway. Sure enough, took a look under the seat and there's some sort of boost box inline with the ECU:

------ Follow up post added June 2nd, 2015 03:51 PM ------

Gave it a quick wash and vac, reinstalled the seats with whatever hardware was in the vehicle and took some detailed pics:

Exterior...definitely been well used:

Old June 2nd, 2015, 02:57 PM
kilr4d
John
1999 110 TD5

Registry
Interior:

Rear seat belts; seat attaching hardware and interior trim panels are AWOL.

------ Follow up post added June 2nd, 2015 04:00 PM ------

Door corrosion...the front doors are ok, the rear doors and rear cargo door are probably too far gone:

Old June 2nd, 2015, 03:09 PM
kilr4d
John
1999 110 TD5

Registry
Frame/chassis/driveline:

Actually pretty damn solid. It appears that my corrosion problems are limited solely to body panels.

It's also leak free/drip free after parking in the same spot for 48 hours.

------ Follow up post added June 2nd, 2015 04:11 PM ------

More underbody:

Old June 2nd, 2015, 03:23 PM
Wilboro
William Ficner
1997 110 csw

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by kilr4d View Post
Le sigh. Today's lesson is about gov't corruption and the mob running the ports. I won't bother with the long story, but the short story is 1 month and $5k to get my vehicle "washed" and out of the Port of Montreal.

Should have it in my hands end of this week/beginning of next.

Oh man I wish you had read my thread about the one I brought through Montreal last year. Painful! RORO through Halifax for me if I do it again!

Shoot me a PM and I might be able to point you in the right direction for parts down your way!

Will

------ Follow up post added June 2nd, 2015 04:31 PM ------

[QUOTE

It gets loaded on a ship next week, arrival in Canada middle of April, teardown to start shortly after that.

Cheers,

John[/QUOTE]

Drive it for a bit before you tear it to bits. You'll kick yourself if you don't, it may be apart longer than you expect...... Plus you'll be able to identify if there are problems you won't be able to tell when it's in pieces.

------ Follow up post added June 2nd, 2015 04:33 PM ------

Quote:
Frame/chassis/driveline:

Actually pretty damn solid. It appears that my corrosion problems are limited solely to body panels.

I dunno that rear cross-member looks suspect to me....
Old June 2nd, 2015, 03:38 PM
kilr4d
John
1999 110 TD5

Registry
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilboro View Post
Oh man I wish you had read my thread about the one I brought through Montreal last year. Painful! RORO through Halifax for me if I do it again!

Shoot me a PM and I might be able to point you in the right direction for parts down your way!

Will
Oh man...my butthole is the size of a dinner plate thanks to Port of Montreal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilboro
Drive it for a bit before you tear it to bits. You'll kick yourself if you don't, it may be apart longer than you expect...... Plus you'll be able to identify if there are problems you won't be able to tell when it's in pieces.
Already put 250kms on it since Saturday. Snag list is reasonably short:
  • Wrong seats
  • Right side front wiper parks too high
  • Parking brake doesn't work
  • Right rear door handle doesn't work
  • Rear washer works, wiper doesn't
  • Air conditioning doesn't work
  • Minor water intrusion to front footwells
  • Missing seat hardware, rear
  • All body seals/gaskets/window seals are fairly weathered
  • Nasty clunk in rear on clutch engagement, u-joints look OK I suspect wear in the rear end due to high miles
Old June 2nd, 2015, 03:41 PM
Wilboro
William Ficner
1997 110 csw

Registry
[QUOTE
  • Nasty clunk in rear on clutch engagement, u-joints look OK I suspect wear in the rear end due to high miles
[/QUOTE]

Check your drive flanges and axle splines.
Old June 2nd, 2015, 03:50 PM
kilr4d
John
1999 110 TD5

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilboro View Post
I dunno that rear cross-member looks suspect to me....
Funny you should mention cross-members.

So, I take out the plywood floor only to discover that the previous owner had cut a hole in the floor (and a crossmember) to change the fuel pump. Honestly, wtf. How lazy do you have to be to not drop the fuel tank?

Old June 2nd, 2015, 04:10 PM
curry
brandon curry
Series 1 and 110.

Registry
Quote:

It's also leak free/drip free after parking in the same spot for 48 hours.
In Landy lingo that means it's out of fluid.
Old September 28th, 2016, 11:00 AM
kilr4d
John
1999 110 TD5

Registry
Well, after an interminable delay my NTO doors showed up:

Sooo....here we go!

Old September 30th, 2016, 09:17 AM
kilr4d
John
1999 110 TD5

Registry
Things I didn't notice until now...

Right side...pinch welds:

Left side...all riveted:

I guess the left rear fender was replaced at some point. I'll be interested to see what lies beneath.
Old May 17th, 2017, 11:26 AM
kilr4d
John
1999 110 TD5

Registry
Lots more disassembly over the winter:

Old May 17th, 2017, 11:42 AM
kilr4d
John
1999 110 TD5

Registry
Finally starting to turn the corner. I'm truly amazed at the efficacy of soda blasting. Little slow but the results are blowing my mind.

Old May 17th, 2017, 12:04 PM
Al Blue4.6l
Allen
2006 LR3

Any ETA on when it may be done? Doing anything to the TD5?

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Build-up's, Projects & Registry Profiles > Truck Build-up's & Restores

Tags
defender, lr3