please help - auto console fit and instrument panel fits - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Build-up's, Projects & Registry Profiles > Truck Build-up's & Restores

Old August 10th, 2015, 05:34 PM
Brentflyfish
Brent McDonald
1988 LHD 110 SW

Registry
please help - auto console fit and instrument panel fits

Hi all,
AFter many many months of delays and issues my conversion from manual to auto is nearly done on my 1988 LHD 110. I received a call from the mechanic working on my truck that the auto console does not appear to fit properly, specifically the unit appears to stick back too far into the back seat leg space and the box lid does not lay all the way back but strikes the back seats. Have any of you had problems with the consoles fitting in your 110s? I am using the Rovers North acoustic rubber matting up front and the Rovers North auto console.

Second question, I have also purchased new instrument panel bezel and box to try to improve the dash fit and finish. Mechanic also says that they do not fit tight and still have significant gaps. Any experience with that? both came from Rovers North.

LAst question, he cannot figure out how to get the grey dash panel out (same style as an NAS with AC in the dash). My understanding is that there are screws behind the vent louvres and under the end caps. Anything else?

I will try to get pictures of the problems from my mechanic to post.

Thanks,
Very Frustrated in Nashville,
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old August 10th, 2015, 05:38 PM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
A defender in every driveway-motto
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
The auto console is designed for a 90 seat box not a 110. There was never an auto 110. The parts to make it fit correctly are available from ashcrofts or easily made.

Dividing Creek Imports
Worldwide Vehicle Shipment and Importation Service
Restoration & Modification work

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old August 10th, 2015, 05:39 PM
Brentflyfish
Brent McDonald
1988 LHD 110 SW

Registry
What modification is needed?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old August 10th, 2015, 05:43 PM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
A defender in every driveway-motto
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brentflyfish View Post
What modification is needed?
Brackets need to be made. They are pictured on ashcrofts site. Should have been obvious to your mechanic

Dividing Creek Imports
Worldwide Vehicle Shipment and Importation Service
Restoration & Modification work

Old August 10th, 2015, 06:18 PM
SafariHP
Safari Heritage Parts
1983 Defender 110

We have the auto plate and the template for the middle seat box cover. Let us know if we can assist. We've fitted many of these and have all the templates.

There is an additional middle kick panel plate that supports the back of the auto console in the 110.

The NAS like dash removal is a pain but yes the screws are hidden behind the vents. The center does not need to be removed to install the new benical and cluster.

Old August 10th, 2015, 06:30 PM
Brentflyfish
Brent McDonald
1988 LHD 110 SW

Registry
thanks Safari,
I would be interested in the templates for sure. My guess is that I will have to deal with this myself after getting the truck back but it would help significantly.

I am looking to remove the middle panel for other reasons - replace a broken windshield washer nozzle , insert new trim between the kick panel and bottom dash and paint it (the grey is dirty and stained)

Thanks again for supplying me the auto shifter bracket last week!
Old August 10th, 2015, 06:35 PM
SafariHP
Safari Heritage Parts
1983 Defender 110

If you would like to have your guy give me a call in the AM I can walk him through. In his defense if he has never fitted one or more importantly taken one apart it could be slightly confusing. We have a 110 in that we just did an auto and 2.8 one so I can send images if needed.

Glad to assist.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Build-up's, Projects & Registry Profiles > Truck Build-up's & Restores

Tags
console